Macquarie University International College Subcommittee
The Macquarie University International College Subcommittee reports to the Academic Standards and Quality Committee and is responsible for the academic governance and quality assurance processes for programs delivered by the College.
Terms of Reference
Approved on 2 June 2015
The Macquarie University International College Subcommittee (the Subcommittee) was established by the Academic Senate of Macquarie University (the University) on 2 June 2015 under Rule 9(4)(c) of the Academic Senate Rules 2015, and is directly responsible and accountable to the Academic Standards and Quality Committee for the exercise of its responsibilities.
This Terms of Reference sets out the objective, role and responsibilities, membership, tenure, authorisations and rules of operation of the Subcommittee.
The Subcommittee is to ensure the integrity and quality of the academic programs and processes of the Macquarie University International College (the College).
2. Role and responsibilities
The Subcommittee is to:
- Advise Academic Senate and the Director of the College on:
- Matters relating to the College's educational programs and activities;
- The schedule of academic programs and units offered by the College;
- Academic standards and quality, and teaching effectiveness in programs delivered by the College; and
- Academic priorities of the College.
- Develop proposals to introduce or disestablish courses and programs of study to be delivered by the College, and recommend such proposals to the Academic Standards and Quality Committee for consideration;
- Develop proposals to amend courses and programs of study to be delivered by the College, including plans to modify structure, content, method of delivery, naming, admission or completion requirements, and recommend such proposals to the Academic Standards and Quality Committee for consideration;
- Regularly review the University's policies, procedures and frameworks governing the academic activities of the College and recommend any necessary amendments to the Senate Learning and Teaching Committee for consideration;
- Identify the need for the development of new policies, procedures and frameworks to govern the academic activities of the College, and contribute to their development;
- Monitor and ensure that the College's programs comply with the University's policies pertaining to learning and teaching, and academic standards and quality;
- Establish and implement a regular cycle of reviews of the College's units of study and respond to recommendations arising from such reviews;
- Oversee the conduct of reaccreditation reviews of the College's courses and programs of study as instructed by the Academic Standards and Quality Committee, and advise that Committee on recommendations arising from such reviews;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of those aspects of the University's academic risk register that relate to academic activities of the College; and
- Consider and report on any matters referred to it by Academic Senate, from time to time, as required.
The composition of this Subcommittee shall be as follows:
- The Chair appointed by Chair of Academic Senate
- Dr Catriona Lavermicocca
- Director of the College
- Ruby Biscuit
- Pro-Vice Chancellor (Learning and Teaching)
- Professor Sherman Young
- Associate Director MUIC Programs
- Mirjana Jovancevic
- Associate Director Academic Programs Macquarie International
- Kate Roth
- Up to five academic staff members appointed by Academic Senate
- Associate Professor Michael Hitchens - Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Dr Phillip Chappell - Faculty of Human Sciences
- Dr Rowan Tulloch - Faculty of Arts
- Dr Salahudin (Salut) Muhidin - Faculty of Business & Economics
- At least one student member, drawn from the cohort of the College
- To be confirmed
- The term of appointment of all members, excluding student representative shall be two (2) years.
- The term of appointment of student representatives shall be one (1) year.
- The Chair of Academic Senate may renew any such term of appointment, in consultation with the Academic Senate Standing Committee.
The Academic Senate shall, from time to time, resolve to grant the Subcommittee specific authorisations to discharge its delegated responsibilities. The Subcommittee may request the granting of such authorisations as it sees fit. All such authorisations shall be documented here.
- Approve the College's unit offerings, including the approval of new units and the amendment, renewal or disestablishment of existing units;
- Ratify examination results for the College's units in accordance with the relevant academic rules and quality assurance frameworks prescribed by Academic Senate.
6. Rules of operation
The Subcommittee shall conduct its business subject to the general provisions Standing Orders for Committees of Academic Senate.