A draft Workplace Culture statement for the Department will be voted on for formal adoption shortly:
The Department of Physics and Astronomy pays respect to the original custodians of the land on which Macquarie University resides and to indigenous staff and students who study and work among us.
We embrace Macquarie University's commitment to principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We recognise these principles as core to our mission of fostering excellence and increasing impact in our research, teaching and community engagement.
We aim to be welcoming and supportive of all staff and students regardless of gender and sexual identity, ethnic and cultural background, disability, age, family/carer responsibilities, political affiliation, and religious belief. This commitment underlies our approach to recruitment, mentoring, promotion and celebration of success, and extends to all Department members: academic staff, professional staff, students and visitors.
We commit to an ongoing culture of improvement, measuring and reflecting on our progress, active pursuit of internal feedback and external assessment, and promotion of these values within our Department, to the University and in our wider academic community.
Following from this statement we make the following commitments:
- The Department will take reports of workplace concerns and misbehaviour seriously and will support individuals in dealing with the University's equity and complaint processes.
- We will institute training resources for staff and postgraduate students in unconscious bias and positive workplace environments.
- We will develop a Person of Contact system for reporting concerns.
- We will develop a statement of mutual expectations for our undergraduate students.
- We will monitor our web pages, social media and seminar series for gender balance and diversity.
- We will remain informed about best practice in equity and diversity from physical sciences schools and institutions around the world and evolve our processes in response.