Department of Philosophy
BSc Macquarie, BA (Hons I) Sydney, PhD Sydney
Adam completed his PhD at the University of Sydney in 2014, was awarded a Macquarie University Research Fellowship in 2015, and joined the Department as a Lecturer in Philosophy in 2016. His areas of interest include philosophy of science, philosophy of biology, philosophy of psychology (from psychoanalysis to evolutionary psychology), philosophy of language, social ontology, and the history and philosophy of race. Adam has taught philosophy at Macquarie University, Deakin University, and The University of Sydney.
Adam can supervise Masters and PhD students who would like to work on topics in his areas of expertise.
Adam is currently working on issues in the philosophy of race. He is interested in the following questions. What is race? Is race biologically real, socially real, or not real at all? Can philosophy of language help us to define 'race'? What role can the history of the race concept play in answering these questions?
Current Research Grant
- What Is This Thing Called Race? Macquarie University Research Fellowship, 2015-2018
- Hochman, A. (In Press). Replacing Race: Interactive Constructionism about Racialized Groups. Ergo.
- Hochman, A. (2016) In Defense of the Metaphysics of Race. Philosophical Studies. doi:10.1007/s11098-016-0806-0
- Hochman, A. (2016) Race: Deflate or Pop? Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 57:60-68
- Hochman, A. & Lipphardt, V. (2016) Rasse oder Vielfalt: Was sagt die Wissensforschung? Kontroverse Annäherungen an die Kategorie race. In: Christina Isabel Brüning/Lars Deile/Martin Lücke/Julia Nahrstedt (Hg): Race, Geschichte und historisches Lernen, Wochenschau-Verlag: Schwalbach
- Griffiths, P. & Hochman, A. (2015) Developmental Systems Theory. Encyclopedia of Life Sciences
- Hochman, A. (2015) Of Vikings and Nazis: Norwegian contributions to the rise and the fall of the idea of a superior Aryan race, Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 54:84-88
- Hochman, A. (2014) Race Suicide. Living Archives on Eugenics. http://eugenicsarchive.ca/discover/encyclopedia/535eedb87095aa0000000250
- Hochman, A. (2014) Unnaturalised Racial Naturalism. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 46: 79-87
- Hochman, A. (2013) Against the New Racial Naturalism. The Journal of Philosophy. 110(6):331-351
- Hochman, A. (2013) Do We Need a Device to Acquire Ethnic Concepts? Philosophy of Science. 80(5):994-1005
- Hochman, A. (2013) Racial discrimination: How not to do it. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences. 44(3):278-286
- Hochman, A. (2013) The Phylogeny Fallacy and the Ontogeny Fallacy. Biology & Philosophy 28(4):593-612
Adam has taught the following unit:
PHL 249 Evolution, Mind and Culture
Location: Building W6A Room 733
Phone: (61 2) 9850 8859
Fax: (61 2) 9850 8892