Library collection priorities and ordering process
The Library's Strategic Plan sets clear objectives for allocation of funds for new acquisitions for the Library collection.
These objectives are:
- to provide the information resources required by researchers, with a focus on identified areas of research excellence
- to provide information resources to support teaching and learning.
Our priorities for each of these objectives for are:
- to ensure identified information resource gaps have been filled for existing areas of research strength
- to ensure identified information resource gaps have been filled for current teaching programs, and to identify and cost resources for new or revised programs.
To achieve these two priorities our ordering process is as follows:
Single Orders (Books, AV)
These will continue to be processed against the Firm Orders Allocation in the usual way. Orders can be placed at any time using the established process in your Department/Division and these will be processed during the year within the budget we have set for this year. For more information go to Library Book Vote Funds ordering procedures.
Where possible, preference will be given to purchasing the electronic format of books.
Subscriptions (Journals and Databases)
Requests for new titles should be submitted via your Research Librarian. Please indicate in the request whether the title:
- supports the work of identified areas of research strength
- is needed for a new course approved for 2015 or
- addresses a gap in the existing teaching program.
Please also provide the date by which the resource is needed.
Where possible, preference will be given to purchasing the electronic format of subscription resources.
Timeline and Process for Consideration of Subscription Requests
- Requests for new subscriptions should be placed no later than 30 April.
- Purchase decisions for subscriptions meeting Priority 1 and 2 above will be made within the available budget by 30 June. If there are insufficient funds we will use this information to support a budget request for the following year.
- If there is any funding left after we have satisfied the Priority areas we will assess the remaining requests.
- New subscriptions will be placed from the start of the next calendar year or volume, whichever occurs sooner.
We already have a number of unfilled new subscription requests on our list. These will be reviewed by the relevant Research Librarian to see what priority they have and then assessed using the process outlined above.
Please contact your Research Librarian if you have any questions.