Biomechanical Engineering and Orthopaedics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
A/Prof Appleyard is a director of the surgical skills training program at Macquarie University. Richard hosts surgical training for both national and international medical device companies, students and consultants. Richard has over 20 years research experience in Biomechanical Engineering and has established a group mainly focused on orthopaedic research. Richard had published in leading journals and presented both nationally and internationally.
BE Mech (Hons), PhD
- Surgical Skills Training and Development
- Finite Element Modelling of the human body
- Clinical assessment of Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Squeaking of Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Spinal Biomechanics
1. Miles B, Walter WL, Kolos E, Waters T, Appleyard R, Gillies RM, et al. A plasma-sprayed titanium proximal coating reduces the risk of periprosthetic femoral fracture in cementless hip arthroplasty. Bio-medical materials and engineering. 2015 Jun 19;25(3):267-78. PubMed PMID: 26407113.
2. Dabirrahmani D, Magnussen J, Appleyard RC. Dual-Energy Computed Tomography-How Accurate Is Gemstone Spectrum Imaging Metal Artefact Reduction? Its Application to Orthopedic Metal Implants. Journal of computer assisted tomography. 2015 Nov-Dec;39(6):925-35. PubMed PMID: 26418538.
3. Dabirrahmani D, Bokor D, Appleyard R. A Novel Dynamic Mechanical Testing Technique for Reverse Shoulder Replacements. Annals of biomedical engineering. 2014 Apr;42(4):727-32. PubMed PMID: WOS:000333010900003. English.
4. Askari E, Flores P, Dabirrahmani D, Appleyard R. Study of the friction-induced vibration and contact mechanics of artificial hip joints. Tribol Int. 2014 Feb;70:1-10. PubMed PMID: WOS:000328716800001. English.
5. Askari E, Flores P, Dabirrahmani D, Appleyard R. Nonlinear vibration and dynamics of ceramic on ceramic artificial hip joints: a spatial multibody modelling. Nonlinear Dynam. 2014 Apr;76(2):1365-77. PubMed PMID: WOS:000334425200038. English.