Assoc Prof Julia Hush
Associate Professor Julia Hush
Associate Professor Julia Hush
Phone: +61 2 9850 6621 / Fax: +61 2 9850 6630
Location:Ground floor 75 Talavera Road
- Physiotherapy researcher and educator with clinical expertise in the management of chronic pain.
- Foundation faculty member, Department of Health Professions.
- Curriculum developer of the MQ Doctor of Physiotherapy program.
- Department Director of Research and HDR, Department of Health Professions.
- Teaching expertise: musculoskeletal physiotherapy, clinical pain science and evidence-based healthcare.
- Led the integration of the IASP Pain Curriculum into the MQ Doctor of Physiotherapy program.
- Executive member of the Faculty Centre for Physical Health.
- Over 55 peer-reviewed publications with over 1,200 citations, an h-index of 19 and over $1.6M in research funding.
- Research areas: spinal pain, including prognosis, epidemiology, outcomes, sleep, and pain neuroscience.
- Current research focus: neurobiological mechanisms involved in the development of chronic pain.
- Key research collaborator: Professor Sean Mackey, Stanford University.
- Reviewer for over 20 international journals, including New England Journal of Medicine and British Medical Journal.
- Section Editor for the Journal of Physiotherapy.
- Marcuzzi A, Dean C, Wrigley PJ, Hush JM (2016). Prognostic value of quantitative sensory testing in low back pain: a systematic review of the literature. Pain Research. 2016 9: 1-9
- Moloney N, Wrigley P and Hush JM. (2016) Somatosensory assessment in chronic pain: progress and potential. Pain Management. 2016 9: 1-9.
- Rosemary Chakiath; Philip Siddall; John Kellow; Julia Hush; Mike Jones; Anna Marcuzzi; Paul Wrigley. (2015). Descending pain modulation in Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): A systematic review and meta-analysis. Systematic Reviews 4:175 DOI: 10.1186/s13643-015-0162-8.
- Jiang Y, Oathes D, Hush JM, Darnall B, Charvat M, Mackey S, Etkin A. (2015) Perturbed Connectivity of the Amygdala and its Subregions with the Central Executive and Default Mode Networks in Chronic Pain. Pain 2016 157(9): 1970-1978 (PMID:27168362).
- Panagopoulos J, Hancock MJ, Magnussen J, Hush JM. (2016) Do MRI findings change over a period of up to 1 year in patients with low back pain and/or sciatica? Spine (in press).
- Jones TM, Dean CM, Hush JM, Dear BF and Titov N. (2016) The myMoves Program: A feasibility and acceptability study of a remotely delivered self-management program for increasing physical activity among community-dwelling adults with acquired brain injury. Physical Therapy (In Press)
- Jones TM, Dean CM, Hush JM, Dear BF and Titov N. (2016). Intervention mapping of the MyMoves program. Physical Therapy (in press).
- Jones TM, Dean CM, Hush JM, Dear BF and Titov N. (2015). An internet survey of the characteristics and physical activity of community-dwelling Australian adults with somatose brain injury: exploring interest in an internet delivered self-management program focused on physical activity. Disability and Health Journal. 9: 54-63.
- Jones TM, Dean CM, Hush JM, Dear BF and Titov N. (2015). A systematic review of the efficacy of self-management programs for increasing physical activity in community-dwelling adults with acquired brain injury (ABI). Systematic Reviews 4:51.
- Marcuzzi A, Dean C, Wrigley PJ, Hush JM (2015). Early changes in somatosensory function in spinal pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain 2015, 156:203-14.
- Panagopoulos J, Hancock MJ, Ferreira P, Hush J, Petocz P. (2014). Does the addition of Visceral Manipulation alter outcomes for patients with Low Back Pain? A Randomised Placebo Controlled Trial. European Journal of Pain. Published online 7 November 2014, DOI: 10.1002/ejp.614.
- Traeger A, Moseley, GL, Hubscher M, Lee H, Skinner I, Nicholas M, Henschke N, Refshauge K, Blyth F, Main C, Hush J, Pearce G, McAuley J. (2014) Pain education to prevent chronic low back pain: a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open 2014;4:e005505 doi:10.1136.
- Jones TM, Hush JM, Dear BF, Titov N and Dean CM. (2014) The efficacy of self-management programs for increasing physical activity in community-dwelling adults with acquired brain injury (ABI): A systematic review. (Protocol). Systematic Reviews. 2014,3:39 (1-6).
- AlSaadi S, McAuley J, Hush J, Bartlett D, McKeough Z, Grunstein R, Dungan G, Maher C. (2014). Assessing sleep disturbance in low back pain: the validity of portable instruments. PLOS One. Published: April 24, 2014. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0095824.
- Panagopoulos J, Hancock MJ, Kongsted A, Hush J, Kent P. (2014). Does anterior trunk pain predict a different course of recovery in chronic low back pain? Pain 155: 977-82.
- Alsaadi S, McAuley JH, Hush JM, Lo S, Lin C, Williams C, Maher CG. (2014). Poor sleep quality is strongly associated with subsequent pain intensity for patients with acute low back pain. Arthritis and Rheumatology. 66.
- Alsaadi S, McAuley JH, Hush JM, Lo S, Bartlett DJ, Grunstein R, Maher CG. (2014). The bidirectional relationship between pain intensity and sleep disturbance/quality in patients with low back pain. Clinical Journal of Pain 39: 755-765.
- Ung H, Brown J, Johnson KA, Younger J, Hush JM, Mackey S. (2014). Multivariate Classification of Structural MRI Data Detects Chronic Low Back Pain. Cerebral Cortex 24 (4): 1037-1044.
- Moseley AM, Elkins MR, Janer L, Hush JM. (2014). The quality of reports of randomized controlled trials varies between subdisciplines of physiotherapy. Physiotherapy Canada 66:33-43.
- Luque Suarez A, Hancock M, Hush JM. (2014) Effects of kinesiotaping on foot posture in participants with pronated feet. Physiotherapy. 2014, 100: 36-40.
- A Marcuzzi, CM Dean, JM Hush (2013). Early changes in somatosensory function in spinal pain: protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews 2: 90.
- Alsaadi S, McAuley JH, Hush JM, Bartlett DJ, Henschke N, Grunstein R, Maher CG. (2013). Detecting insomnia in patients with low back pain: accuracy of four self-report sleep measures. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 14: 196.
- Luque Suarez A, Navarro S, Hancock M, Petocz P, Hush JM. (2013) Short term effects of kinesiotaping on acromiohumeral distance in asymptomatic subjects: a randomized controlled trial. Manual Therapy 18, 573–577.
- Hush JM, Stanton TR, Siddall P, Marcuzzi A, Attal N. (2013). Untangling nociceptive, neuropathic and neuroplastic mechanisms underlying the biological domain of back pain. Pain Management. 3:1-14. Invited review.
- Haines TP and Hush JM. (2013). Protocol papers published in Journal of Physiotherapy will strengthen the profession. Editorial. Journal of Physiotherapy 59:6.
- Hush JM, Lee HJ, Yung V, Adams R, Mackey M, Wand BM, Nelson R, Beattie P. (2013). Intercultural comparison of patient satisfaction with physiotherapy care in Australia and Korea: an exploratory factor analysis. Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy 21:103-112.
- Henschke N, Wouda L, Maher C, van Tulder M and Hush JM. (2013) Determinants of patient satisfaction one year after presenting to primary care with acute low back pain. Clinical Journal of Pain. 29: 512-517.
- Hush JM, Marcuzzi A. (2012) Prevalence of neuropathic features of back pain in clinical populations: implications for the diagnostic triage paradigm. Pain Management 2 (4) 1-11. Invited review.
- Hush JM, Yung V, Mackey M, Adams R, Wand B, Nelson R and Beattie P. (2012) Patient satisfaction with musculoskeletal physiotherapy care in Australia: an international comparison. Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy, 20: 201-208.
- Kamper SJ, Maher CG, Costa LD, McAuley JH, Hush JM, Sterling M. (2012). Does fear of movement mediate the relationship between pain intensity and disability in patients following whiplash injury? A prospective longitudinal study. Pain, 153; 113-119. IF 5.355 Featured in the Faculty of Medicine 1000 website.
- Johnson M, Ferreira M, Hush J. (2012) Lumbar vertebral stress lesions in fast bowlers: a review of prevalence and risk factors. Physical Therapy in Sport 13; 45-52.
- Hush JM, Kamper S, Stanton T, Ostelo R, Refshauge K. (2012). Standardised measurement of recovery from non-specific back pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 93: 849-855. Featured in a blog on the Body in Mind website.
- Hush JM, Alison JA. Evidence-Based Practice: lost in translation? (2011) Journal of Physiotherapy. 57:207-208. Editorial.
- Hush JM, Lin C, Michaleff Z, Verhagen A, Refshauge K. (2011) Prognosis of acute idiopathic neck pain is poor. A systematic review of the literature. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 92: 824-829. Selected for the journal’s first ever podcast.
- Hush JM, Cameron K, Mackey M (2011) Patient satisfaction with musculoskeletal physiotherapy care: A Systematic review. Physical Therapy, 91; 25-36.
- Hush JM, Nicholas M. (2011) Cognitive behavioural treatment for low back pain: a case based review. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management.18 (2): 85-95. Invited review.
- Kamper SK, Maher CG, Hush JM, Pedler A, Sterling M. (2011) Relationship between pressure pain thresholds and pain ratings in patients with whiplash-associated disorders. Clinical J Pain, 27: 495-501 IF 3.114.
- Kamper SK, Stanton TR, Williams CM, Maher CG, Hush JM. (2011) How is recovery from low back pain measured? A Systematic review of the literature. European Spine Journal, 20; 9-18.
- Alsaadi S, McAuley J, Hush JM, Maher CG. (2011) Prevalence of sleep disturbance in patients with low back pain. European Spine Journal, 20; 737-743.
- Jones LJ & Hush JM (2011). Pain education in physiotherapy: is it time for curriculum reform? Journal of Physiotherapy, 57:143-144. Editorial.
- Kamper SK, Maher CG, Herbert RD, Hancock MJ, Hush JM, Smeets RJ. (2010) How little pain and disability do patients with low back pain have to experience to feel they have recovered? European Spine Journal, 19; 1495-1501.
- Hush J, Refshauge K, Sullivan G, De Souza L and McAuley JH. (2010) Do Numerical Rating Scales and the Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire capture changes that are meaningful to patients with persistent back pain? Clinical Rehabilitation 24: 648-657.
- Hush J and Herbert R (2009) Scientific fraud in physiotherapy: prevention is better than cure. Journal of Physiotherapy 55:77-78. Editorial.
- Hush J, Michaleff Z, Maher C and Refshauge K (2009) Individual, physical and psychological risk factors for neck pain in Australian office workers: a one-year longitudinal study. European Spine Journal 18:1532-1540. Featured in media articles in Australia, the US, India and Singapore.
- Hush J, Refshauge K, Sullivan G, De Souza L, Maher CG and McAuley JH. (2009) Recovery: what does this mean to patients with low back pain? Arthritis & Rheumatism-Arthritis Care & Research. 61: 124-131.
- Hush J. (2008) Clinical management of occupational low back pain in Australia: what is the real picture? Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation 18: 375-380
- Hewitt J, Hush JM, Martin MH, Herbert RD and Latimer J. (2007) Clinical prediction rules can be derived and validated for injured Australian workers with persistent musculoskeletal pain: an observational study. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy. 53: 269-276.
- Hush J, Maher CG and Refshauge K.M. (2006) Risk factors for neck pain in office workers: a prospective study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 7:81-85.
- Hush J, Hewitt J, Martin M, Herbert R and Latimer J. (2006) A new model predicting rehabilitation outcomes. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 34 (4), 555-556.
- Hush J. (2006) Functional status questionnaires for spinal pain. Journal of Physiotherapy 52: 59.
- Chansirinukor W., Maher CG, Latimer, J and Hush JM (2005) A Comparison of the Functional Rating Index and the 18-Item Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire: Responsiveness and Reliability. Spine 30:141-145.
- Hepler, PK and Hush, JM (1996) Behaviour of microtubules in living plant cells. Journal of Plant Physiology 112: 455-461. Invited review.
- Hush JM and Overall RL. (1996) Cortical microtubule re-orientation in higher plants: dynamics and regulation. Journal of Microscopy-Oxford 181: 129-139. Invited review.
- Geitmann, A, Hush, JM and Overall, RL. (1997) Inhibition of ethylene biosynthesis does not block microtubule re-orientation in wounded pea roots. Protoplasma 198: 135-142.
- Hush JM, Wu L, John PCL, Hepler LH and Hepler, PK (1996) Plant Mitosis Promoting Factor disassembles the microtubule preprophase band, and accelerates prophase progression in Tradescantia. Cell Biology International 20: 725-287.
- Hush JM, Wadsworth P, Callaham D.A. and Hepler PK (1994) Quantification of microtubule dynamics in living plant cells using fluorescence redistribution after photobleaching. Journal of Cell Science 107: 775-784.
- Hush JM, Hawes CR and Overall RL. (1994) A novel method for the visualization of microtubules in plant tissue. Proc. of the Linnean Society (NSW) 114: 11-19.
- Hush JM and Overall RL. (1992) Re-orientation of F-actin is not necessary for wound-induced microtubule re-orientation and cell polarity establishment. Protoplasma 169: 97-106.
- Hush JM, Newman IA and Overall RL. (1992) Utilization of the vibrating probe and ion-selective microelectrodes to investigate electrophysiological responses to wounding in pea roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1251-1257.
- Hush JM, Newman I.A and Overall RL. (1991) Electrical and mechanical fields orient cortical microtubules in higher plant tissues. Cell Biology International 15: 551-560.
- Hush JM, Overall RL and Newman IA (1991) A calcium influx precedes organogenesis in Graptopetalum paraguayense. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 657-665.
- Hush JM, Hawes CR and Overall RL. (1990) Interphase microtubule re-orientation predicts a new cell polarity in higher plants. Journal of Cell Science 96: 45-63.
- Hush JM and Overall RL. (1989) Steady Ionic currents around pea (Pisum sativum L.) root tips: the effects of tissue wounding. Biological Bulletin 176 (S): 56-64.
- Wilson MR, Hush JM and Walker NA. (1988) The involvement of microbial epiphytes in uptake measurements with the giant-celled alga Chara australis. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 15:483-494.
Other publications include invited blogs, media reviews for journals and pre-appraised resources from research for clinicians in physiotherapy and medicine such as research reviews for the Faculty of 1000 Medicine, a distinguished faculty of the world’s top clinicians and medical researchers, as an invited Associate Faculty Member, as well as critical appraisal and reviews for the Journal of Physiotherapy.
- Oliver-Allen M, Ng P, Bagarinao E, Hush J, Etkin A, Mackey S. Neural processing of threat-related stimuli in patients with chronic low back pain. Journal of Pain 2013;14 (4 Supplement).
- Hush J. (2013) Bacteria directly activate sensory nerves. Body in Mind Blog (invited article) 3rd December 2013. http://www.bodyinmind.org/bacteria-directly-activate-sensory-nerves/
- Hush J. (2013) A user-friendly website enabling evidence-based practice in primary care. Journal of Physiotherapy 59; 137. Media review.
- Hush JM (2011). Explanatory variables for patients’ self-reported recovery in adults after acute lateral ankle sprain. Physical Therapy 91:84-86. Invited commentary.
- Hush J. (2010) McKenzie treatment for acute back pain added to first-line care does not result in appreciable clinical improvements, but may reduce health utilisation. Journal of Physiotherapy 56; 135. Synopsis for critically appraised paper
- Hush J. (2010) Exercises supervised by physiotherapists improve pain and function in patients with patellofemoral pain. Journal of Physiotherapy 56:61. Synopsis for critically appraised paper.
- Hush J (2009) Combined pain self-management and antidepressant therapy are effective in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain with depression. Journal of Physiotherapy 55(3): 208. Invited commentary.
- Hush J. (2009) Do lumbar stabilising exercises reduce pain and disability in patients with recurrent low back pain? Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 55:138. Synopsis for critically appraised paper.
- Hush J. (2009). Proprioceptive training reduces the risk of ankle sprain recurrence in athletes. Journal of Physiotherapy 55:283. Synopsis for critically appraised paper.
- Hush J. (2009). Clinical management of low back pain. Physiotherapy Research Update 2009. Australian Physiotherapy Association. Lead article.
- Hush J. (2008). Physiotherapy study produces clinical prediction rules. Physiotherapy Research Update 2008. Australian Physiotherapy Association. Lead article.
- Herbert R and Hush JM (2008) Do patients’ communication behaviours provide insight into their preferences for participation in decision making? Faculty of 1000 Medicine Reports (Epub 9 Sept 2008).
- Herbert R and Hush JM (2008) Life goals and health decisions: what will people live (or die) for? Faculty of 1000 Medicine Reports (Epub 3 July 2008).
- Hush J. (2008) Neuromuscular training reduces the risk of leg injuries in female floorball players. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 54:282. Synopsis for critically appraised paper.
- Hush J. (2008) Physiotherapy added to GP care results in long-term improvements for sciatica. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 54:218. Synopsis for critically appraised paper.
- Hush J. (2008) No difference in cost-effectiveness of intensive group training for chronic back pain compared with usual physiotherapy care. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 54:144. Synopsis for critically appraised paper.
- Hush J. (2008) Manipulative therapy or NSAIDS do not provide additional benefit to quality baseline care for acute back pain. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 54:75. Synopsis for critically appraised paper.
Commissioned industry reports and educational resources
- Hush J. (2013) Neurobiological Contributors to Low Back Pain. Invited author of educational module for Pain 5010, Clinical Aspects of Neurobiology, in the University of Sydney Postgraduate Pain Management Program.
- Hush J. (2006) IAG - Health Outcome Measures. Insurance Australia Group, Sydney, Australia.
- Hush J. (2006) Clinical Justification for CTP Physiotherapy Services: A Proposed Model. Insurance Australia Group, Sydney, Australia.
Contribution to evidence-based consensus reports
- Hush J. (2014) Delphi Member for Core Outcome Set in Low Back Pain Steering Group, resulting in: Chiarotto A, Deyo RA, et al. Core outcome domains for clinical trials in non-specific low back pain. European Spine Journal. 2015:1-16.
- 2014-2016: Macquarie University Faculty Research Centre Grant, The Centre for Physical Health, $70,000.
- 2013: Macquarie University Faculty Equipment Grant, Quantitative Sensory Testing Facility, $8,000.
- 2013: Outside Studies Program, Macquarie University, Pain modulatory dysfunction in the development of chronic back pain, $6,500.
- 2013-2016: NHMRC Project Grant (APP1047827), A new approach to prevent chronic low back pain, $509,536.
- 2013: Macquarie University New Staff Grant, The identification and quantification of plasma endocannabinoids, the body's own painkillers, in non-specific low back pain, $20,000.
- 2013: Macquarie University Faculty Grant, Pain modulatory dysfunction in the development of chronic back pain, $6,635.
- 2012: Macquarie University DVC (Research) Grant, Early-onset neuropathic pain: a biomarker for chronic low back pain?, $20,000.
- 2012: University of Sydney Near Miss Grant, Development of neurochemical signatures as a novel technique for diagnosis and treatment of headache, $40,000.
- 2010: University of Sydney Learning and Teaching Grant, Optimising outcomes: An investigation of student perspectives of effective teaching in lectures, $6,000.
- 2009: University of Sydney Equipment Grant, Quantitative Sensory Testing for Spinal Pain, $47,000.
- 2008-2009: International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) International Collaborative Research Grant, The transition of acute to chronic pain: An investigation using neuroimaging, $15,000.
- 2008-2009: University of Sydney, Advanced clinical management of back pain. Inaugural Early Career Research Excellence Award, $88,000.
- 2008-2009: University of Sydney International Program Development Fund, Neuroimaging spinal pain, $20,000.
- 2008: University of Sydney, Special Studies Program, $8,200.
- 2006: University of Sydney Faculty Grant, Risk factors for work-related neck pain, $20,000.
- 1996: NSW Dept. Health, Rural and Allied Health Clinical Placement Grant, $800.
- 1993-1996: Australian Research Council Large Grant, Dynamics and mechanisms of microtubule realignment in plant tissues, $483,000.
- 1993-1996: ARC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Dynamics and mechanisms of microtubule realignment in plant tissues, $120,000.
- 1993: University of Sydney. Major Equipment Grant, Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope System, $69,600.
- 1992: Fulbright Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Imaging microtubule dynamics in vivo, $12,000.
- 1992: Eleanor Sophia Wood Travelling Fellowship, University of Sydney, Imaging microtubule dynamics in vivo, $15,000.
- 1991: University of Sydney, Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, The role of F-actin in wound-induced microtubule re-orientation, $35,000.
- 1991: University of Sydney, Postgraduate Travel Grant, $1,500.
- 1990: Australia and NZ Society Cell Biology, Young Scientist Travel Grant, $1,900.
- 1990: Australian Federation of University Women, Thenie Baddams Bursary, $4,500.
- 1987-1991: Australian Postgraduate Research Award, $85,000.
- 1987-1990: Linnean Society of NSW Macleay Fellowship, $12,800.
- 1987, 1989, 1990: Joyce Vickery Research Award, Linnean Society of NSW, The control of cell polarity in higher plants, $1,800.