Thesis Examination Subcommittee
Terms of Reference
Approved on 18 July 2016
The Thesis Examination Subcommittee (the Subcommittee) was established by the Academic Senate of Macquarie University (the University) in May 2016 under Rule 9(4)(c) of the Academic Senate Rules 2016, and is directly responsible and accountable to the Research and Research Training Committee of Academic Senate for the exercise of its responsibilities.
This Terms of Reference sets out the objective, role and responsibilities, membership, tenure, and rules of operation of the Subcommittee.
The Thesis Examination Subcommittee is responsible for identifying and promoting best practice in thesis examination processes and adherence to University policies and procedures. It makes decisions regarding the process and outcome of Higher Degree Research (HDR) theses submitted for examination in accordance with policies of Academic Senate relating to the HDR examination processes.
2. Role and responsibilities
The Subcommittee is to:
- Advise the Research and Research Training Committee of Academic Senate on:
- policies and procedures governing HDR examinations and their effectiveness; and
- the University’s rules regarding the examination of HDR theses;
- Have oversight of the HDR and MRes thesis preparation, submission and examination process inclusive of:
- approve nomination and appointment of examiners for HDR thesis examinations;
- receive and evaluate examiner’s and supervisory panel reports and where necessary, approve correction reports;
- determine that the requirements for a higher degree research have been met and recommend to the Research and Research Training Committee for approval;
- Make recommendations on the award of the Vice-Chancellor’s Commendation for HDR theses to the Research and Research Training Committee for approval; and
- Receive and review any disputes or unforeseen events arising from the thesis preparation, submission and examination process and make appropriate recommendations to the Research and Research Training Committee for determination.
The composition of this Subcommittee shall be as follows:
- The Chair of the Subcommittee appointed by Chair of Academic Senate;
- Professor Simon Handley
- The Interim Pro Vice-Chancellor (Higher Degree Research Training and Partnerships);
- Professor Simon Handley
- Associate Dean HDR or their nominee for each Faculty; and
- Associate Professor Noah Bassil - Faculty of Arts
- Associate Professor Vito Mollica - Macquarie Business School
- Associate Professor Jennifer Cornish - Faculty of Human Sciences
- Professor Mark Connor - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Associate Professor Tracy Rushmer - Faculty of Science and Engineering
- A member nominated by the Faculty Board of each Faculty who is an active HDR supervisor.
- Associate Professor Marcelle Freiman - Faculty of Arts
- Associate Professor Edward Wray-Bliss - Macquarie Business School
- Professor Jan-Louis Kruger - Faculty of Human Sciences
- Associate Professor Verity Pacey - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Dr Ajay Narendra - Faculty of Science and Engineering
- The term of appointment to the Thesis Examination Subcommittee of all Associate Deans and the Dean HDR shall be for their term in that appointment;
- The term for any other appointed members shall be two (2) years; and
- The Chair of Academic Senate may renew any such term of appointment, in consultation with the Academic Senate Standing Committee.
5. Rules of operation
The Subcommittee shall conduct its business subject to the general provisions of the Standing Orders for Committees of Academic Senate.
(As at 1 September 2019)
- Professor Simon Handley (Chair)
- Associate Professor Noah Bassil
- Professor Mark Connor
- Associate Professor Jennifer Cornish
- Associate Professor Marcelle Freiman
- Professor Jan-Louis Kruger
- Associate Professor Vito Mollica
- Dr Ajay Narendra
- Associate Professor Verity Pacey
- Associate Professor Tracy Rushmer
- Associate Professor Edward Wray-Bliss