Academic Senate Standing committee
The Standing Committee identifies strategic priorities for Academic Senate, reviews the annual schedule of Senate and a Senate Committees and assists Academic Senate in the discharge of its responsibilities.
Charter and Terms of Reference
The Academic Senate Standing Committee was established by the Academic Senate of Macquarie University in 3 March 2015 under Rule 9(4)(c) of the Academic Senate Rules 2015, and is directly responsible and accountable to Academic Senate for the exercise of its responsibilities.
This Charter and Terms of Reference set out the objective, role and responsibilities, membership, and tenure of the Committee, and was last amended by Academic Senate on 21 February 2017.
The Committee will assist the Chair of Senate to plan the strategic direction and priorities of Academic Senate and foster communication and alignment of priorities with the academic strategy of the University, and maintain Senate’s prescribed statutory role.
2. Role and responsibilities
The Committee has the following specific responsibilities:
- Assist the Chair of Senate to plan, prioritise and manage the business of Academic Senate;
- Develop the annual schedule of work for Academic Senate, in alignment with the priorities identified by its committees, for presentation at the first Senate meeting of each year;
- Monitor and review performance against Academic Senate’s annual schedule of work;
- Ensure that Academic Senate Committees identify key issues in their portfolios and brief Senate on these matters in a timely manner;
- Monitor the activities of Academic Senate Committees and ensure they are discharging their responsibilities appropriately;
- In consultation with the Chair of Academic Senate, approve non-ex-officio membership of Academic Senate Committees;
- Consider and determine any matters referred to it by Academic Senate, or by the Chair of Academic Senate, or, where urgency is required, by other Academic Senate Committees;
- Provide a continuing forum for advice to the Chair of Academic Senate and assist with determining the strategic direction and renewal of Academic Senate.
Membership of the Committee shall comprise appointed members and ex-officio members.
1. Appointed Members:
- Two (2) elected members of Academic Senate who shall be appointed by the Chair of Academic Senate; and
- At least one (1) student member of Academic Senate who shall be appointed by the Chair of Academic Senate.
2. Ex-Officio Members:
- Chair of Academic Senate;
- Deputy Chair of Academic Senate;
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic);
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research);
- The Chair of the Academic Standards and Quality Committee;
- The Chair of the Research and Research Training Committee; and
- The Chair of the Senate Learning and Teaching Committee.
3. The Committee may also co-opt additional members as required.
- The term of appointment of all appointed and co-opted members shall be two (2) years.
- The Chair of Academic Senate may renew any such term of appointment.
5. Rules of operation
- The Committee shall conduct its business subject to the Standing Orders for Committees of Academic Senate.
- The Committee shall normally meet three times each year:
- The first meeting, at the start of each year, will focus on developing the annual schedule of work for Academic Senate;
- The second meeting, in the middle of each year, will focus on monitoring the progress of the annual schedule of work; and
- The third meeting, at the end of each year, will focus on reviewing the schedule of work completed by Academic Senate.
3. The Committee shall deal with ordinary matters of business, and items that are not contentious, by circulation.
- Professor Mariella Herberstein (Chair)
- Professor Judith Dawes (Academic Senate member)
- Professor Antonina Harbus (Academic Senate member)
- Professor Kevin Jameson, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
- Associate Professor Catriona Lavermicocca, Chair of Academic Standards and Quality Committee
- Dr Mitch Parsell, Chair of Senate Learning and Teaching Committee
- Professor Jacqueline Phillips, Deputy Chair of Academic Senate
- Professor Sakkie Pretorius, Deputy-Vice Chancellor (Research) and Chair of the Research and Research Training Committee
- Gail White, Executive Director, Student Engagement and Registrar
Professional Staff Members:
- Ainslee Harvey
- Zoe Williams