Your parking queries answered

Staff will transition to the digital parking payment system at Macquarie University on 1 May. In place for students since October 2018, the self-managed, pay-as-you-go (PAYG) and virtual permits (vPermits) system provides more flexibility and is easy to use.

The Property team have compiled a collection of your queries for easy reference below.

Full details around pricing and zones will be published in This Week and on the parking webpage as soon as available (anticipated early April). At this time, staff will be able to review the parking options that are relevant to their specific situation. The Property team is unable to answer questions regarding individual cases until this information is available and thanks staff for their patience.

Topic: Seeking more details

Q: When will pricing for zones, PAYG and vPermit be available?
A: Staff and student parking rates for 2019 will be released in early April on the parking web page and in This Week.

Please note that rates will increase slightly from 1 May, relative to 2018 rates.

There will be help desk pop-ups in the MUSE foyer (18 Wally’s Walk) from 11am – 2pm on the following days:

• Tuesday 16 April
  • Tuesday 23 April
  • Tuesday 30 April

Topic: Multiple vehicles

Q: I share two cars so can I just have one account as a Sessional staff member?
A: You can have multiple vehicle registrations listed on your vPermit or PAYG account – just remember to select the correct vehicle rego online when you arrive or prior to leaving home.

Q: How long is the turnaround time for updating the plate number online under the vPermit system?
A: You can update your details online, effective immediately on our cloud-based system.

Q: Can we use the one vPermit for two different cars/license plates?
A: Yes, and you can also have multiple vehicles registered using the PAYG system.

Q: I am full time staff. At present I use my annual permit with two different vehicles interchangeably. Will this still be possible?
A: Yes this will certainly be possible under the vPermit system. You’ll go online to select the car you’re driving on the day so the licence plate recognition technology (attached to the security vehicles that inspect the carparks) will acknowledge it as correct.

Topic: Permit purchasing

Q: Where can the staff get the parking permit if they were unable to go on campus for this (which is usually the case for nurses who work in the hospital)?
A: The new system will be an online service to purchase vPermits – perfect for your situation.

Topic: Part-time and other staff

Q: Can you tell me if part-time staff have been catered for in the new system? At the moment I pay for a yearly parking sticker as there has been no other option even though I’m only at work two and a half days a week. I’m interested in the PAYG discounted rate for staff but noticed that salary sacrifice is not offered when using that. Is there a vPermit category to cater for staff who don’t work full time and are not on a full time salary?
A: Yes, PAYG will suit staff who drive to work in the way you describe. vPermits six months and over offer a salary sacrifice option.

Q: I am an honorary staff member, but rarely come to the university because of parking. When I do, I sometimes park kilometres away. rates are prohibitive. Any advice?
A: Staff with an MQ ID receive the discounted PAYG rate available from 1 May. PAYG rates range from $1.25/hr to $2.20/hr and will suit occasional drivers.

Topic: Salary sacrifice

Q: Can you please confirm if Fixed-Term staff members will be able to salary sacrifice vPermits?
A: Yes, you can salary sacrifice any vPermit for any carpark zone with a duration of six months or more. You’ll need a valid MQID and staff email address to register and purchase.

Q: Will salary sacrifice be available anywhere other than for designated staff-only car parks?
A: Yes, salary sacrifice is linked to vPermits (six months and longer) rather than to a zone.

Topic: Current permits

Q: When are we required to purchase 2019 parking permits? I am using my 2018 permit still (staff full year). Do we wait until April and the new vPermit?
A: That’s correct. Full year staff permits expire at the end of April. There will be an opportunity prior to this to purchase a vPermit. It takes minutes online and you do this yourself.

Q: So when exactly does the 2018 permit expire, as it keeps changing? After returning from an extended leave I was told a monthly permit would be my best option as we will find out more in April. My monthly permit has now expired. Is my best option now to buy another monthly permit until May? Just very confused with all the dates and changes!
A: Dates have not changed – 30 April remains the expiry date for all full-year and half-year permits. A one-month permit might be the option here. Please email parking@mq.edu.au to arrange a permit.

Q: What are the options for staff who only want to use car park until the train line opens? I would like to purchase vPermit but only for 2-3 months until Train Line opens (currently I use car park on daily basis, full time). Is that possible?
A: There will be a monthly vPermit option available from 1 May 2019. The train is likely to open in early May (we don’t have confirmation on this yet) but you would probably benefit from purchasing a monthly permit each month.

Topic: Staff car park locations

Q: I note that there is staff allocated parking on the east and far north side of campus. Is there is be some staff allocated parking in the western parking areas for those who work on the central and western side of campus?
A: Staff can purchase a vPermit for any general carpark on campus as well as staff-only carparks so you should be able to find one that suits. There is no plan to increase the number of staff-only carparks other than the North 3 which will become staff-only in May.