Additional information for international candidates

Additional information for international candidates

Additional information for international candidates

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Applicants for student visas are required to have medical insurance for the full duration of their visa. Payment for this insurance must be made by the student at the time of acceptance. OSHC will be organised upon receipt of your payment. If your scholarship covers OSHC, and if you are bringing family members with you to Australia, you will need to pay the additional cost for dual or family cover.

Upgrade to dual or multi family cover may also be made directly with the Health Provider at a later stage (for the period that your family will be coming to Australia).

Macquarie University has a preferred Overseas Student Health Cover Provider (Allianz Global Assistance OSHC). If you choose to purchase your policy from our preferred provider, please send the payment in accordance with the University’s payment methods listed on page 4 of the Acceptance Pack. Please provide proof of relationship if family OSHC is requested.

You also have the option of choosing your own OSHC provider. If you are not getting your OSHC from our preferred provider, you should purchase your own OSHC for the exact period of coverage and send us a copy of your OSHC along with your acceptance. The list of Government approved OSHC providers are:

You will be required to provide evidence of your OSHC at the time of visa application. As an international research candidate, you will need to apply for a Subclass 500 student visa once you have accepted your offer and received a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from us. Visit the Australian Immigration website for more information on Studying in Australia.


Visa documents

You will need a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the HDRO in order to apply for your Student Visa (subclass 500). You must complete the Payment and Request for Confirmation of Enrolment Request (COE) Form on page 3 of the Acceptance Pack for your COE to be issued. Once your acceptance forms and OSHC payment have been received, we will issue a COE to you which you should take to the nearest Australian Embassy or High Commission to apply for your student visa (alternatively you may be able to do this online). Please check with the Australian Embassy or Australian High Commission for visa application requirements.

If you wish to apply for a visa via a migration agent that is registered with Macquarie University, please let us know and we will send you an appointment of agent form to complete, see the Macquarie website for a list of Macquarie’s official representatives in your country.

Obtaining a student visa

In order to commence your study in Australia, you must obtain a student visa (subclass 500). Please note that the Australian Government has assessment criteria in place for the grant of a visa to study in Australia. Notwithstanding any other conditions, your candidature and scholarship offer (if any) will lapse if you are not able to obtain a student visa.

We highly recommend that you use the Documents Checklist Tool to ensure you prepare the right documents for your visa application. Incomplete applications will likely cause delays in your visa being granted.

Visa conditions

The Australian Government issues visas for study in Australia subject to certain conditions, which are clearly notified with the visa documentation. These conditions refer particularly to full-time study, progression requirements, periods of leave, cessation of study and paid work. The University is required by law to report any breach of visa conditions to the Department of Home Affairs. The student visa may be cancelled 28 days after such a report is received unless the visa holder is able to show that no breach occurred.

Living costs

The cost of living in Australia is estimated to be between AUD$22,000 and AUD$25,000 per annum for a single person. This cost includes accommodation and basic living expenses for one person (for estimated living costs refer to Macquarie International website). If you intend to bring family members to Australia, you will need to ensure that you have adequate finances to cover their airfares, additional living costs, and/or childcare costs.

School-aged children (5 years and up) who are dependents of doctoral candidates on a student visa (Subclass 500) may have their school fees waived if they are enrolled in a public school in the state of New South Wales. However, any childcare costs for children under the age of 5 are the responsibility of the candidate. For additional information regarding school fees in New South Wales, please visit the Department of Education website for international students.

Further information on studying in Australia is available at

Airport pick up

Macquarie University offers a free Airport Pickup to all new international students. For more information visit the Macquarie Accommodation website.


Once you arrive in Sydney and have settled into your accommodation, please visit our office on Level 3, 17 Wally’s Walk (C5C Building, East Entrance) on Macquarie University campus. Our Admissions Team will enroll you once they have sighted your original academic documentation and visa information. A campus map is available for download.

Content owner: HDR Research Training and Partnerships Last updated: 12 Feb 2020 3:31pm

Back to the top of this page