About LEMA | Find | Projects | Documents | Research | Gallery


Thursday 9 July 1818 !
Went up to Parramatta early this morning in the Carriage accompanied by Major Antill. — After Breakfast went to the Place Selected for Building the Factory and Barrack for the Female Convicts on the Left Bank of the Parramatta River – where I met Mr. Greenway the Govt. Architect and the Contractors Messrs. Watkins & Payten – and at 12,O'Clock laid the Foundation Stone of this New Building in the usual Form; giving the Workmen Four Gallons of spirits to drink Success to the Building. —

I afterwards visited the New Female Orphan School – and the other Public works in progress at Parramatta.

Friday 10. July !
I returned early this morning from Parramatta to Sydney. —

At Noon this day I received a Dispatch from Mr. Oxley reporting the progress of his Expedition of Discovery up to the 20th. of last month; the place he dates his Letter from – on the Banks of the Macquarie River – being 240 Miles North-west of Bathurst !

Tuesday 14. July !
The Ship Mary of Calcutta, commanded by Capt. Orman, from Bengal – but last from the Derwent – Anchored this forenoon in the Harbour. —

Thursday 16. July !
The Ship Batavia, Capt. Lamb, sailed again this day in prosecution of her Voyage direct for Bombay.

Friday 17. July !!!
I went to Parramatta in the Carriage early this morning accompanied by Major Antill to inspect the several Public Buildings now carrying on there, and to give directions respecting the constructing of Roads, making a Garden and laying out the Grounds of the Female Orphan Institution. After Breakfast, accompanied by Mr. Meehan the Depy. Surveyor General, I went to the Female Orphan School Grounds, and gave the necessary orders relative to enclosing and laying them out properly. —

On my return Home from the Female Orphan School, I was met by an Express from Mr. Secry. Campbell at Sydney, conveying to me the afflicting and melancholy intelligence of the Death of our beloved and gallant Nephew Lieut. John Maclaine of the 73d. Regt., who was killed in an Action with the Insurgents on the Island of Ceylon on the 13th. of January last. — I dined & Slept at Parramatta.

Saturday 18. July !
I returned early this morning from Parramatta to Sydney. —

Thursday 23. July !
The Brig Lynx sailed direct from Bengal. The Private Merchant Ship Claudine, Capt. Welsh, arrived from England – which She left on the 15th. of March last. —

27. July 1818 !!!
Wishing to see and inspect the various improvements lately made at the Settlement of Newcastle, under the direction of Capt. Wallis the present Commandant – and to examine the Quality and appearance of the Lands in the Interior of that Settlement on the three several Branches of "Hunter's-River" — I embarked this afternoon at 3,O'Clock on board the Government Brig Elizabeth-Henrietta, Commanded by Mr. David Smith, accompanied by Mrs. Macquarie and our dear Boy Lachlan, the Revd. Mr. Cowper, Mr. Meehan the Dy. Surveyor Genl., Major Antill, Lieut. Macquarie, and Ensign Roberts – and Servants. — We Sailed at 4 – and Cleared the Heads by Sunset. —

Macquarie, Lachlan. Diary 9 July 1818 – 28 February 1821.
Original held in the Mitchell Library, Sydney.
ML Ref: A774 pp.1-4. [Microfilm Reel CY301 Frames #403-406].

Journey to and from Newcastle

Sydney, Monday 27th. July 1818.
Embarked on board the Government Brig Elizabeth-Henrietta commanded by Mr. David Smith at 3,O'Clock in the afternoon, under a Salute from the Battery; Our Party on board consisting of Mrs. Macquarie and our dear Lachlan, Revd. Mr. Cowper, Major Antill, Lieut. Macquarie, Ensn. Roberts, Mr. Meehan, Serjt. Whalan & his son Charles, and Female (Mary Rouse) and four Male Servants (Joseph, Butcher, Jack Moore, & the Cook) and Six Sailors as a Crew for my Barge – which I have taken with me on board the Elizabeth Henrietta. — At 4 P.M. we made sail down the Harbour and Cleared the Heads of Port Jackson by 5 P.M. – the Wind being quite fair – and blowing a smart Breeze. —

We dined at 5 P.M. – but some of our Party were already Sea-Sick, particularly poor Mr. Cowper. —

Tuesday 28 July —
We arrived off Newcastle between 2 and 3,O'Clock this morning and lay-to the rest of the Night; Newcastle Light being in sight.

At 7. a.m. Capt. Wallis the Commandant came off to us, with the Pilot and several Boats, the Brig being then about Four miles off from the Entrance of the Harbour; blowing directly out of it, and a heavy sea running.

At 8. a.m. Our own Barge being hoisted out, we embarked in her to go on Shore as the Brig could not go in till the afternoon Tide of Flood makes. — We landed at Newcastle at 9,O'Clock, and were most kindly and Hospitably received by Capt. Wallis, who had an excellent Breakfast prepared for us. — After Breakfast, we walked about the Town – and viewed some of the New Buildings now in progress. — Dined between 4 & 5,O'Clock and went to Bed at an early Hour. —The Elizabeth Henrietta came to anchor in the Harbour at 4 P.M. —

Wednesday 29. July !
Wishing to explore some parts of the Interior, and the three principal Branches of Hunter's River, arrangements were made for that purpose, and at 11. a.m. I set out in my own Barge attended by Capt. Wallis, Capt. Antill, Mr. Meehan, Lt. Macquarie & Ensn. Roberts, accompanied by 5 other Boats having our Provisions Tents & Baggage on board, with 52 Attendants of all descriptions – four of whom were musicians and formed our little Band. — Mrs. Macquarie not feeling herself sufficiently strong for undertaking so fatiguing a Tour, remained at the Settlement with our dear Boy Lachlan – and the Revd. Mr. Cowper. — The Sight of our Six Boats so well manned, with the Band Playing, and the Brigs Eliz:-Henrietta and Lady Nelson Saluting had a very fine and gratifying effect. —

At 4 P.M. Landed on Raymond Terrace close to the entrance of the First Branch and encamped there for the Night; this first stage being about 20 miles from Newcastle. — A number of Fires were made immediately – the Night being very cold. — We dined at 6 OClock on a very good Dinner – and went early to Bed. — There was a very severe hard Frost during the Night. —

Thursday 30th. July.
Got up at Day-break and Breakfasted immediately so as to prosecute our Journey up the River. At ½ past 7. a.m. I set out ahead of the heavy Boats with Capt. Wallis in his small light Gig accompanied by Mr. Meehan, leaving orders with Capt. Antill to proceed with the Heavy Boats up the 3d. Branch and encamp at "the Burying Ground" (or Schanks's Plains) on the Right Bank of the River. At 10. a.m. we arrived in the Gig at Point Reception, and at the Confluence of the 2d. & 3d. Branches of the River. — We proceeded up this Branch to the Farms some time since permitted by me to be occupied by 6 well behaved Convicts and two Free Men. Arrived at the first Farm (young Tucker's) at ½ past 11 OClock, distant about 9 miles from Point Reception, where we landed and walked about for some little time examining the improvements and nature of the Soil – which last is most excellent. We then proceeded to view the rest of the Farms on both sides of this beautiful River – finding the soil of all of them very good – and much more ground Cleared & Cultivated than I had any idea of. — After we had explored most of the Farms, we quitted the Boat entirely and walked across the Country to the 3d. Branch – leaving orders with the Gig to meet us next day at Reception Point on our way back. — The Country between the two Rivers thro' which we travelled was principally fine open Forest Land, very fit for Grazing but not for Cultivation but we also passed through some very close thick Brush Country and indifferent land. — At ½ past 3. P.M. we reached the left Bank of the 3d. Branch (or Main River) after a walk of about 7 miles, and were fortunate enough to find the Boats were very near us; my own Barge having come up to the Reach of the River we had arrived at in about a Quarter of an Hour afterwards – two other Boats having passed on before her. — I called this Junction Reach. — We embarked in my own Barge – and prosecuted the remainder of this day's journey in her to the Burying Ground, whither we arrived at 6,O'Clock – it being then quite dark – and still three of our Boats a great way astern of us. — This delay was occasioned by a great Fresh in the main Branch of the River – which rendered the progress of the Boats very slow and tedious. — By 7,O'Clock, however they all arrived at our Camp, and by 8,O'Clock we were all very comfortable with a great number of fine Fires around us, and we sat down to a good and plentiful Dinner. — We did not go to Bed till 11,O'Clock. —

Friday 31. July !
We all got up early – and Breakfasted exactly at 8,O'Clock this morning.

At 9. a.m. Set out with Capt. Wallis in his Gig, accompanied by Mr. Meehan, to explore the River some miles up it, and also the Lands on its Banks; directing all the other Boats, with the exception of my own Barge, to Set out on their return down the River to Raymond Terrace as soon as the Baggage should be packed up; but my own Barge I ordered to wait at the Burying Ground till my return. — We rowed up the 3d. Branch or Main River for 9 miles, to the Head nearly of a very fine long Reach of it about 3 miles long (which I named "Macquarie Reach") on both Banks of which there was very fine Land. — I named a very fine tract of Forest Land on the Right Bank of the River near this Reach "Wallis's Plains" in honor of Capt. Wallis. — Having examined the Land of both sides of this River which appeared to be of excellent quality both for Cultivation & Grazing, we returned down the River to the Burying Ground where we arrived at ½ past 1. P.M. — We then changed into my own Barge and proceeded down the River; landed a little way below the Burying Ground to look at the "Large Fig Tree" – which is the finest and tallest I ever saw – it measuring round the Base near the Trunk no less than 24 yards in circumference! — We also landed on the Left Bank of the River, about a mile below the Burying Ground, to look at and examin[e] the Cedar Ground, where there is at present a gang of 15 men under an Overseer cutting Cedar for Government; there being a Military Guard of a Corpl. & 3 Privates to protect them from the Natives.

We found a considerable Quantity of Cedar Logs ready Cut on the Bank of the River, and we walked for about a mile into the Woods to look at the Cedar growing, and from which distance they are at present bringing it after being cut into Logs to the Banks of the River. —

Left the Cedar Party at ½ past 2 P.M. and pursued our way down the River; picking up Capt. Wallis's Gig at Point Reception, where it had waited for us since yesterday. — We arrived at Raymond Terrace at ¼ past 6,OClock — it being then Dark. — We reckon it at least 30 miles from the Head of Macquarie Reach to Raymond Terrace – which is the distance down besides the 9 or 10 miles we went up this Branch above the Burying Ground. This is a very beautiful and Picturesque River, and has sufficient depth of Water in it as far as I have gone up it for a Vessel of 50 Tons Burthen, and the Land on its Banks being excellent, it is in every respect fit for establishing Settlements on. —

We found our Camp Pitched – fires lighted – and Dinner ready – on our arrival at Raymond Terrace – where we sat down to a most excellent Dinner at 7,O'Clock, retiring to Bed at Ten O'Clock. —

Previous Index Next

Macquarie, Lachlan. Tour to and from Newcastle. 27 July 1818 - 9 August 1818.
Original held in the Mitchell Library, Sydney.
ML Ref: A781 1-15 pp. [Microfilm Reel CY303 Frames #127-141].

Top of page

Copyright © 2011 Macquarie University. All rights reserved.

Macquarie University
NSW State Library
National Library of Scotland
Historic Houses Trust
National Library of Australia
National Museum of Australia
State Records of NSW