About LEMA | Find | Projects | Documents | Research | Gallery


Saturday 1. Augt. !
Being desirous to explore a few miles up the 1st. Branch of Hunter's River, and to look at the Lands on both Banks thereof, I got up at Day-break, and set out with Capt. Wallis in his Gig, accompanied by Mr. Meehan, at 7,O'Clock. We rowed up for about Nine Miles, passing through several fine long Reaches – but the Land on both Banks for the first Six Miles were either low, swampy – or very thick Brush. — At 7 miles distance the Lands improved very much – into open Forest and Hilly Country, – the Soil appearing to be very good and the Timber also pretty large, and fit for useful purposes. — Having rowed up about 9 miles, we put about and returned to Raymond Terrace, our last night's Ground, where we arrived at 10,O'Clock – finding Breakfast quite ready for us. — As soon as we had Breakfasted I went in search of the Tree marked by our dear departed Nephew Lt. Jno. Maclaine in January 1812, when his Aunt & myself with our Suite Breakfasted on this same ground on the 4th. of that month. — Having searched about all the Trees now standing near our Encamping Ground, I fell in at length with a large Tall Blue-Gum Tree which is the one marked by our poor dear John with the Initials of my name – L. M. 4 Jany. 1812, and his own Initials – J. M. on the other side of the Tree. — Trifling as this circumstance was, I was deeply affected with the recollection of the activity, manliness, and warm affection of this noble youth displayed on all occasions during our tour above alluded to. —

Having now fully accomplished the several objects of my excursion up the several Branches of Hunter's River, I gave orders for our Baggage and Provisions being packed up, and the Boats to return to Newcastle; and wishing to arrive there as soon as possible – and before the Tide of Ebb (now flowing) should fail us, I set out with Capt. Wallis in his Gig, accompanied by Mr. Meehan, at ½ past 11. a.m. and arrived at Newcastle at 5 mins. past 2. P.M. where we found Mrs. M. Lachlan and Mr. Cowper, all in good Health – and agreeably surprised at our early arrival; having been only absent in all 75 hours. — Capt. Antill, with our other friends, and the remaining Boats arrived at Newcastle at half past 3 P.M. —

We dined between 4 and 5,O'Clock this afternoon. — I find the Govt. Brig Lady Nelson sailed for Sydney on Thursday morning the 30th. Ulto. the day after we set out on our excursion.

Sunday 2. Augt. 1818 !
We had Divine Service performed this day in the new Church erected by Capt. Wallis on [word omitted in text] Hill, Mr. Cowper having Preached a most excellent appropriate Sermon on this solemn occasion; he being the first regular Clergyman who has ever performed Divine Worship at Newcastle, and of course the first in this church, which has only been completed a few weeks ago. I have named it "Christ Church" at the recommendation of Capt. Wallis the Founder thereof. — The Congregation on this occasion consisted of between 5 and 600 Persons, the Church being quite full. Mr. Cowper also performed Divine Service in the afternoon to a smaller Congregation. — The Day altogether was spent here in a very decent decorous and solemn manner. — The Prisoners, amounting to about 450, Paraded in a very clean neat orderly manner at the Church before they went in, and I took this occasion to muster them – and expressing my satisfaction at their clean orderly appearance. —

Monday 3d. Augt. !
Early this morning the Govt. Boat called the Antelope arrived here from Port Stephens, whither she had been sent on Wednesday last from Sydney in search of 3 Boats with Runaway Convicts that had made their escape from Sydney on the preceding Day in those three Private Boats – amounting to the number of 21 or 24 men. — It being supposed those Pirates intended to cut of [sic] some small Colonial Vessels lately gone to Port Stephens for Cedar, the Antelope was directed to proceed thither to apprize them of their eventual Danger, which she accordingly did – but has seen nothing of the Pirates. — The Antelope is commanded by Mr. Murray the Pilot, and has a Party of Soldiers belonging to the 48th. Regt. on board commanded by Serjt. Burrowes. —

This forenoon Mr. Cowper married Ten Couples, and Baptised 30 Children in the new Church; the first ceremony of the kind ever yet performed at Newcastle. — On this occasion I directed the whole of the Convicts to be exempted from work, and to receive an extra Ration of Fresh meat – on account of the Holiday. —

Tuesday 4th. Augt. !
The Antelope sailed at 8,O'Clock this morning on her return to Sydney, and to search all along the intermediate Coast for the Pirate Convicts lately escaped from Sydney. —

At 11. a.m. I inspected Capt. Wallis's Company, and found them in very clean good order. — I directed an extra allowance of Rum to be issued to the men as a Donation.

At 1. P.M. I went along with Capt. Wallis to look and examin[e] the Channel dividing Coal Island (Nobby) from the South Head of Newcastle Harbour, with the view of filling it up entirely by constructing a Strong Mound or Causway [sic] between the Island and the Main for the purpose of deepening the Main Channel or Entrance into the Harbour. — We landed on the Island and Sounded the Channel between it and South Head – which does not exceed 7 feet in depth at low water and only about a quarter of a mile in Breadth. — After examining both sides of the Channel, it was finally determined to commence forthwith filling it up by constructing [a] Strong Causeway of 30 feet Broad from South Head to Coal Island. After deciding on this important work, we went to visit the new Jail, the new Hospital, the new Guard-House, the Battery & Light House, and the several Work-Shops. — We did not return Home till after 5,O'Clock, soon after which we sat down to Dinner.

Wednesday 5. Augt. !
Soon after Breakfast Mrs. M. myself and Lachlan, set out in the Barge accompanied by Capt. Wallis, to visit the Govt. Farm and the Lime Burners; the former being about one mile and the latter six miles from the Town of Newcastle. — We found the Farm in very good order, with a very neat cottage on it. —

I travelled over the Grounds where the Lime is burnt from the shells collected on the Shore. — I mustered the Lime Burners Gang Consisting of an Overseer & 54 Men as Labourers, guarded by a Corpl. & 3 Privates. —

We returned from our Water Excursion about 2,O'Clock – Capt. Wallis's Band having attended & played for us in another Boat during our Excursion. —

At 4. P.M. accompanied by Capt. Wallis, Revd. Mr. Cowper, Major Antill, Lt. Macquarie, Ensn. Roberts and Mr. Meehan, I went to the Shore of the Channel dividing Coal Island from the South-Head, for the purpose of laying the Foundation and first Stone of the Causway [sic] or Pier to be constructed across from the Main to the Island; and the Stone being cut and ready, with an inscription, it was laid accordingly with all due Form in presence of the Artificers & Labourers to be employed in the construction of it; and Capt. Wallis having proposed that it should bear my name it was accordingly called after me "Macquarie Pier" – which the present year 1818 – was cut and inscribed on the Foundation Stone.

After the Foundation Stone had been laid, the Artificers and Labourers were served with an allowance of Spirits to drink success to the Undertaking – which they did with 3 hearty cheers. —

On my return Home I called at the Provision Store to inspect it, and found it in good order and well supplied with Provisions. I also called at the Watch on the Beach recently erected by Capt. Wallis – and was much pleased with the neatness and appropriate Situation of it. — We then returned Home to Dinner at 5,O'Clock, well pleased with my Day's work! —

Thursday 6. Augt. !
Bespoke a vessel to be built of 60 or 70 Tons Wm. Santos has promised to launch in 8 mos.

After Breakfast Mrs. M. Lachn. and myself attended by Capt. Wallis & Major Antill went to see the Seine Hauled on both shores, caught some Fish & were much amused. — Between 12 and 1,O'Clock, the Lady Nelson arrived from Sydney and I recd. some Letters by her from Mr. Secry. Campbell & Major Druitt. We returned Home from our Fishing Excursion at 2,O'Clock.

At Night Jack, als. "Burigon" King of the Newcastle Native Tribe, with about 40 men, women & children of his Tribe came by Capt. Wallis's desire to the Govt. House between 7 & 8,OClock at Night, and entertained with a Carauberie in high stile [sic] for Half an Hour in the Grounds in rear of Govt. House. — I ordered them to be Treated with some Grog and an allowance of Maize. —

Friday 7. Augt. !
Mrs. M. & self visited the Pier before Breakfast. Having now completed the several objects of my Tour to Newcastle, I ordered all our Baggage &c. to be Shipped on board the Eliz:-Henrietta immediately after Breakfast, and that She should weigh & drop out with the Tide of Flood at ½ past 1. P.M. – the Wind being at S. East, which tho' rather scant, will do for us once we got a Sufficient offing.

At 3. P.M. The Elizabeth Henrietta, and also the Lady Nelson, having got out sufficiently far in the offing, we embarked in Capt. Wallis's Gig, accompanied by him, with two other Boats with our Suite & Servants, and another with the Band, under salutes from the Batteries; the Troops – and Working Gangs being also drawn out in honor of our departure, and proceeded on board the Eliz-Henrietta, which we reached by Half past 3 – when She immediately made Sail (the Lady Nelson being in Company) for Port Jackson. — Capt. Wallis remained with us till at 5 OClock and then took his leave of us; Lt. Macquarie and Ensn. Roberts having returned with him on shore to pass ten or Twelve Days more with him at Newcastle at his own particular request. —

The Wind heading us soon after we had made Sail, we made very slow Progress during the Night. — There was a heavy Swell & Jumbling Sea all night which made several of us sea sick – particularly poor Mr. Cowper. —

Saturday 8. Augt. !
At Day-break we were out of sight of Newcastle, and about 20 miles to the Southward of it. From this time till 1. P.M. it was almost a dead calm, and consequently we made little progress; but at Noon we found by the observation we had got on about 31 miles from Newcastle towards Port Jackson, which we attributed to a strong current running in our favor. — An Easterly Breeze springing up a 1. P.M. we began to make better way and to get on at the rate of about 4 Knots an Hour. — By Sun-down we were within about 15 miles of the Heads of Port Jackson, which were visible from the Mast Head – but the Breeze continuing good, we hope to get in by Eleven O'Clock. – As however it would be then too late to land, we have resolved on sleeping on board.

At ½ past 11,O'Clock we arrived within the Heads. —

It soon afterwards becoming almost Calm, and the Wind having changed to the westward, it took the Brig the remaining part of the Night to work up to Garden Island, abreast of which She anchored at Half past 2,O'Clock the following morning. —

Sunday 9. Augt.
At Day-break, we got up and prepared to Disembark.

Left the Brig at 7. a.m. and landed at Mrs. M's Stairs at ¼ past 7,O'Clock, under salutes from the Battery & Shipping. —

The Mermaid Cutter Lt. King had arrived on the night of the 29th. of last month from her Cruize [sic] and Survey. — We also found in the Cove The Foxhound Whaler Capt. Watson, which had arrived only last night in Sydney Cove. —

The Lady Nelson came in to the Cove between 9 & 10 a.m.

The Indian Whaler Capt. Swaine arrived between 10 & 11 O'Clock this Day from the Fisheries; – the signal for her having been made as we were landing from the Elizabeth Henrietta. —

N.B. The Revd. Mr. Cowper, and Major Antill landed this morning at 1,O'Clock at Sydney – Mr. Cowper being extremely ill from Sea Sickness. —

L. M.

[End of the Journal describing the Tour of Inspection to Newcastle]

Macquarie, Lachlan. Tour to and from Newcastle. 27 July 1818 - 9 August 1818.
Original held in the Mitchell Library, Sydney.
ML Ref: A781 15-35 pp. [Microfilm Reel CY303 Frames #141-161].

Saturday 8 Augt. !
Returned from Newcastle, and Anchored in the Harbour between 11 and 12 OClock at Night – Sleeping on board.

Sunday 9. Augt. 1818 !
I landed this morning with my Family and Suite, from the Elizabeth Henrietta, at Sydney, between 7 and 8,O'Clock – all in good Health – and after a very pleasant interesting Excursion to Newcastle; for the particulars of which I refer to the Diary I kept during my absence. —

I found H. M. Cutter Mermaid Commanded by Lieut. King at anchor in Sydney Cove; that Vessel having arrived here from her Voyage of Discovery on the 29th. of last Month. —

I also found the Ship Foxhound South-Sea-Whaler at anchor in the Cove – that Vessel having arrived here from the South Sea only yesterday.

I was Saluted from the Battery and the King's Cutter on my landing; – and had the pleasure of finding every thing well and quiet at Sydney.

The Ship Indian Whaler arrived in Sydney Cove this day from the Fisheries. —

Wednesday 19 Augt. 1818.
The Ships Mary of Bengal, and Claudine of England, sailed this day on their respective Voyages; the former direct for Calcutta – and the latter for Bencoolen & Bengal. — I wrote Letters by the former Ship for England and India ! —

Tuesday 25. Augt.
The Ship Rambler – South-Sea-Whaler, from the Fisheries, anchored this day in the Harbour. —

Monday 31. Augt. !
The Govt. Brig Lady Nelson only returned this day from Newcastle after an absence of Twenty days, which made me apprehensive about her Safety – and also as to that of the Govt. Brig Elizabeth Henrietta which has also been absent 15 days; but I know find that a violent Gale of Wind had forced both of them to take Shelter in Port Stephens.

Previous Index Next

Macquarie, Lachlan. Diary. 9 July 1818 - 28 February 1820.
Original held in the Mitchell Library, Sydney.
ML Ref: A774 pp.4-6. [Microfilm Reel CY301 Frames #406-408].

Top of page

Copyright © 2011 Macquarie University. All rights reserved.

Macquarie University
NSW State Library
National Library of Scotland
Historic Houses Trust
National Library of Australia
National Museum of Australia
State Records of NSW