External Review of Academic Senate
The Academic Senate Standing Committee has appointed Emeritus Professor Richard Henry AM as the external reviewer for the External Review of Academic Senate (Resolution ASSC 19/02).
A biography of Emeritus Professor Henry AM can be found on the website of the Board of the Children's Cancer Institute; and a select list of his publications can be found on his UNSW researcher profile.
Terms of Reference
The Academic Senate is committed to embedding a culture of continual cycle of review, quality assurance and enhancement into the academic governance of learning teaching and higher degree research and research training. This commitment has been demonstrated in recent years by advising on the development of the University’s Delegations of Authority Register (2013), leading a comprehensive review of the University’s academic Rules, including the Academic Senate Rules (2013), reviewing Committee Terms of Reference (2015), the establishment of the Research and Research Training Committee (2017), contributing to the review of the Delegations of Authority Register (2016) and reviewing the Purpose and Composition of Academic Senate in 2018.
In 2019, Academic Senate will be externally reviewed to evaluate its effectiveness in discharging its responsibilities. The review will assess Academic Senate’s effectiveness in providing academic governance and oversight of academic standards and quality, and academic leadership. It will examine the effectiveness of Academic Senate’s approach, including the role of its Committees in assisting Academic Senate to discharge its responsibilities. The review will deliver recommendations for improvements to the functions, composition, and management of Academic Senate as appropriate.
Specifically, the Review will consider:
- The appropriateness of the purpose, function, and composition of Academic Senate as specified in the Academic Senate Rules
- The effectiveness of Academic Senate in discharging its obligations as specified in the Academic Senate Rules
- The appropriateness of the purpose, function, and composition of Academic Senate’s Committees and their effectiveness in assisting Academic Senate in discharging its responsibilities
- The effectiveness of Academic Senate and its Committees as consultative and advisory bodies
- The appropriateness and effectiveness of the relationships between Academic Senate, the Faculties and academic staff and
- The appropriateness and effectiveness of the relationships between Academic Senate, the University’s Executive and Council.
The Review will further consider the effectiveness of Academic Senate in meeting the requirements of the Higher Education Standards Framework relating to academic governance and institutional quality and standards, specifically the provision of:
- Oversight of the academic quality of learning, teaching, and Higher Degree Research and research training, including:
a. developing, monitoring, and reviewing academic policies and their effectiveness
b. maintaining oversight of academic and research integrity, including monitoring of potential risks
c. monitoring and initiating action to improve performance against institutional benchmarks for academic quality and outcomes
d. evaluating the effectiveness of institutional monitoring, review, and improvement of academic activities.
- Institutional academic leadership, appropriate for an Australian University
The review will be guided by the Higher Education Standards Framework 2015 (Cth) relating to institutional quality assurance and academic governance.
Provide feedback to the External Review of Academic Senate.
Staff and students are invited to make written submissions, addressing the Terms of Reference, directly to the reviewer, Emeritus Professor Henry AM at his email address (email@example.com). The deadline for these submissions is 5pm on Friday, 20 December 2019.