Scholarships for Higher Degree Research (HDR) at Macquarie University are available for specific projects or in the general scholarship main rounds.
Important Note: Official Macquarie University research scholarships are only listed on the Macquarie University web pages.These include:
- Government funded main round scholarships such as the Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) for domestic candidates and the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) for international candidates.
- Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships (MQRES) and International Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships (iMQRES).
- Co-funded MQRES scholarships which may be available to cotutelle and joint PhD candidates.
Please note, Universities were recently advised that Guidelines for 2017 Commonwealth Scholarships (Research) changed as at 30 September 2016.
The University is undergoing a review of the currently published Conditions of Award for all 2017 Scholarships in view of these changes. Conditions of Award will be updated as soon as possible.
ALL current scholarship rounds will continue to be assessed in line with the advertised criteria and timelines.
Applicants should be eligible for one of the HDR degrees listed under the heading 'Eligible Program' for each opportunity. Eligible programs include:
- MRES2: The Research Training Pathway MRes (Year 2) program followed by a possible Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship for PhD (a MRes/PhD 'bundle offer').
- PHD: Direct entry to a 3 year Doctor of Philosophy program
- MPHIL: Direct entry to a 2 year Master of Philosophy program
Prospective candidates are also encouraged to explore external funding for their research. Prominent opportunities can be found under the HDR scholarships externally funded webpage.
Information about HDR scholarship funding for Indigenous Australians can be found under our HDR Scholarships for Indigenous Australians webpage.
HDR main round scholarships
Scholarships listed here are available for domestic and international applicants...
HDR Scholarships for domestic and international
Project-specific scholarships for both international and domestic applicants...
HDR Scholarships for domestic candidates
Project-specific scholarships for domestic applicants only...
HDR Scholarships for international candidates
Scholarships for international applicants including co-funding opportunities...