Online Application- Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective Research Degree Students

Continuing Research Degree candidates

Scholarship Related Questions

International Research Student Issues

Annual Progress Report


Prospective Research Degree Students

What are the admission criteria for research degree programs?

From 1 January 2014, admission to Macquarie University's Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program will have the following new requirements:

i. Applicant to have completed the Macquarie University's Master of Research (MRes) with at least 75% in second year of the MRes; OR

ii. Applicant to have completed a Master of Philosophy; OR

iii. Applicant with Master's degree (at least two years)from another institution with major research component (at least 50% thesis, approx. 20,000 words) at Distinction level (75% or greater).

All other peer-reviewed research output may be taken into consideration under Rule 2(8) of the University's Doctoral Degree Rule for admission to the new PhD program.

Candidates who have not completed an MRes degree and do not meet the above criteria may be asked to undertake the Master of Research as a research training pathway to the new Doctoral degree. Candidates with previous study at Bachelor Honours or Masters level may receive credit towards the MRes for a maximum of 50% of the program. The period of candidature for the new PhD will be 3 years. Students admitted under (ii) or (iii) above may be asked to undertake a six months probationary period in their PhD (determined on a case-by-case basis), thus making the PhD candidature 3.5 years.

Admission to the Master of Philosophy from 1 January 2014 will have the following new requirements:

i. Applicants to have completed the Macquarie University's Master of Research (MRes) with at least 65% in second year of the MRes; OR

ii. Applicants with Master's degree (at least two years) from another institution with major research component (at least 50% thesis, approx. 20,000 words) at Credit level.

In addition, all other peer-reviewed research output may be taken into consideration under Rule 2(4) of the University's Master Degree Rule for admission to the Master of Philosophy program. The maximum period of candidature for the Master of Philosophy will be 2 years.

Candidates who have not completed an MRes and do not meet the above criteria may be asked to undertake the Master of Research as a research training pathway to the new Doctoral degree or the Master of Philosophy. Candidates with previous study at Bachelor Honours or Masters level may receive credit towards the MRes for a maximum of 50% of the program.

[Back to top]

What forms do I need to use to apply for admission?

The Application form for research candidature and scholarship can be downloaded from the Higher Degree Research Office's site.

One set of application and supporting documents are required for candidature/scholarship application. If you are applying for both candidature and scholarship, please write clearly the scholarship(s) you wish to be considered for under Section 2.2 of the application form. The same set of application and supporting documents will be used for scholarship processing.

All applications need to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office in hard copies.

[Back to top]

Are there application fees?

No application fee is required for Macquarie University's research degree programs.

[Back to top]

What are the Tuition fees?

All programs for international candidates are fee-paying programs. A flat fee is generally charged for each program. Fees are payable for the entire period for which the student is enrolled and will be indexed each year.

Tuition fees for the time-based research unit are calculated on a pro-rata basis and are based on load and the liability category. For detailed calculation of tuition fees, please visit the University 's Fees website.Candidates who are required to complete the Master of Research as research training pathway program will be charged the MRes Fees accordingly.  First year Master of Research will be charged on a per-credit point basis while in second year, it is charged on an annual basis.

Domestic candidates (Australian citizens/ Permanent Residents and New Zealand citizens) are granted exemption from tuition fees for research degree programs under the Research Training Scheme (RTS). Candidates enrolling in the Bachelor of Philosophy for the first year of the Master of Research will be supported under the Commonwealth Supported Places while second year is funded through the RTS.

[Back to top]

If I do not meet the entry requirement for the research programs, are there any pathway programs?

Prospective candidates who do not meet the entry requirement for a PhD or an MPhil may undertake the pathway program, Master of Research (MRes).

[Back to top]

Can I study part-time?

All international candidates who are studying in Australia under the student visa must study full-time. Domestic candidates may choose to study full-time or part-time. All scholarship recipients (including both domestic and international) must study full-time, unless there are exceptional circumstances and approval for part-time study has been granted.

[Back to top]

Can I apply for PhD admission and do the research in my home country without coming to Australia?

Macquarie University normally expects international candidates to undertake their research on campus. Candidates will need to obtain prior approval from the faculty if their intended place of research is outside Australia. Admission to undertake research degrees outside Australia is possible in special circumstances with the approval of the Higher Degree Research Committee (HDRC).

The following must be in place before admission can be approved:

  • the candidate and the department in which the candidate is to be registered must each provide detailed information about how supervisory arrangements are scheduled;
  • adequate supervision must be ensured through face-to-face contacts, emails and/or phone contacts especially during the final phase of thesis preparation;
  • the place of study and research (with appropriate facilities for the research concerned) outside the University must be approved by the HDRC;
  • the HDRC, on the recommendation of the Faculty Associate Dean (High Degree Research) and Head of Department, will appoint a suitably qualified person at the place of study as an Adjunct Supervisor for the candidate.

[Back to top]

What is the University's English language requirement? If the medium of instruction of my undergraduate studies was in English, do I still have to show Proof of English?

The need for research candidates to have and maintain a high level of English language proficiency is implicit in being a Macquarie higher degree research candidate. It is also a basic requirement for receiving a Macquarie research education.

Students who have completed at least five years study in one or more of the following countries:Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency in the form of an acceptable English language test score. Students who have successfully completed in Australia in the English language either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or studies at the Certificate IV or higher level, in the two years before applying are also exempt.

If an applicant's qualifications are not from these countries, they will have to show proof of English either through an IELTS or a TOEFL test. The University's English requirements are:

  • TOEFL (computer‐based): Overall of 237 with minimum 19 in Listening, 19 in Reading, 25 in Structure/Writing and TWE of 5.0; OR
  • TOEFL (paper‐based): Overall of 580 with 53 in Listening, 52 in Reading, 59 in Structure/Written Expression and TWE of 5.0; OR
  • iBT (internet‐based TOEFL): Overall score of 92 with 23 in Speaking, 18 in Listening, 17 in Reading and 22 in Writing; OR
  • IELTS (academic version): Overall 6.5 with minimum of 6.0 in each band

While there is a minimum level of English proficiency expected, some Macquarie discipline areas such as English, Law, Linguistics and Medicine generally require higher levels of English proficiency.

Under the SSVF (Simplified Student Visa Framework) which came into effect from 1 July 2016, citizens and passport holders of one of the following English‑speaking countries: UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland will be exempt from providing an English language test score with their visa application.

There are IELTS centres operating worldwide, and students wishing to arrange for their IELTS tests may check the location of the closest center on IELTS website.

Onshore international students wishing to take further English language course may contact our Macquarie English Language Centre for details of English programs offered.

International students wishing to undertake coursework studies should contact Macquarie International Office.

[Back to top]

How do I seek an English language waiver?

No waiver to this language requirement is given.

[Back to top]

If I do not meet the English language requirements, can I come to Macquarie and do some English courses first?

Applicants for Macquarie's research degree programs must meet the University's English language requirements before a full unconditional offer for the research program can be issued. Normally, there is no packaged offer with English courses issued for research degree programs.

[Back to top]

Can a Higher Degree Research Student apply for and start a PhD all year round?

Candidates seeking admissions to research candidature at Macquarie may apply at anytime. There are two intakes for research students: first half year and second half year. The University expects that candidates commencing in first half year will commence early in the enrolment period. However it is important that every effort is made to commence in time to attend the Central Commencement Program and the associated Faculty Commencement Programs to ensure the best possible and informed start to research degree candidature.

[Back to top]

What is the difference between Macquarie's Master of Research and a Master degree (from MQ, other Australian universities or overseas) ?  I completed a Master degree, do I need to complete Master of Research as pathway program to PhD or can I apply for PhD straight way?

The Master of Research is our new research training pathway program for preparation to the 3 year PhD program.  Generally the master degree is a postgraduate degree by coursework and may nor may not have a research component.  The Master of Research (MRes) is a specially designed program comprised of advanced study in a chosen discipline including research training components providing a pathway to PhD candidature. It is a program designed to align with international research training qualifications.  For more details about the MRes program, please check the HDR Office website: http://www.hdr.mq.edu.au/information_about/research_training_degrees

If you have completed a Master degree but do not meet the entry criteria for our new 3 year PhD, you may apply for admission to the Master of Research program. You will need to meet the entry criteria for the MRes program.  Candidates with previous study at Bachelor Honours or Masters level may receive credit towards the MRes for a maximum of 50% of the program.

[Back to top]

Continuing Research Degree Candidates

I need to get data offsite from Macquarie, how do I go about it?

Candidates may undertake research at offsite locations with the approval of their faculty and after ensuring all requirements are met. Generally this will involve obtaining approval from the relevant Macquarie University Ethics Committee and approval from the supervisor and department. Hence candidates have to ensure that sufficient time has been allowed for ethics approval, and for the supervisor, department and Faculty Associate Dean (HDR) to consider the application.   Faculties and departments are able to advise candidates of the specific requirements relating to the faculty and the area of study.

Candidates should complete a Notification of Approved Offsite Research (OSR) form and submit it to their Faculty HDR Team well in advance Once approved, candidates may then travel overseas to collect their data.

[Back to top]

I want to go back to my home country for a holiday, do I need to inform HDRO?

Higher Degree Research candidates are entitled to 4 weeks annual leave each year (or pro-rata in the year that they commence). There are no semester breaks for research students. The 4 weeks annual leave is not accruable and must be taken within the year.

If you are a Macquarie University scholarship recipient and would like to take a holiday outside the December/January period, you will need to let the HDR Office know by completing a Scholarship Leave Request form. However, whether or not you are a scholarship holder, you must discuss your leave timing and arrangements in advance with the Principal Supervisor. Annual leave arrangements should not interfere with research program plans.

If you wish to take leave in excess of eight weeks, you must apply for Leave of Absence which will be approved at the discretion of the Faculty and the Higher Degree Research Committee. Leave of Absence is generally approved under exceptional circumstances. International candidates need to be aware that normal Leave of Absence requests are generally not allowed under student visa conditions.

[Back to top]

Are there any restrictions on non-enrolment work during enrolment?

Under the current Higher Degree Research policy, all research candidates are expected to work on average about 40 hours per week or more on enrolment research. Part-time candidates are expected to spend an average of 20 hours per week on enrolment research.  International candidates may apply for a work visa after enrolment if wanting to undertake other work. Although the work visa allows international candidates to work up to 20 hours per week on other work, at least 40 hours per week on average must still be spent on enrolment research. Scholarship recipients are restricted to an average of 14 hours per week on non-enrolment work.

[Back to top]

I was enrolled as an International candidate but now I have obtained my Permanent Residence Visa, what do I do to change to a domestic student status?

International candidates who have gained Australian Permanent Residency (PR) status will need to report this to the HDRO without delay. If the PR status is granted before the Census Date (7 February in Enrolment Period 1 and 7 August in Enrolment Period 2), you will need to bring your passport with the appropriate visa label, which shows your permanent residency status, to the HDRO immediately and complete the required form. This will enable you to be given a Research Training Scheme (RTS) place, which means that you will no longer be required to pay tuition fees for the remainder of the enrolment period in which you are enrolled.

If PR status is granted after the Enrolment Period Census Date, the change of status and allocation of an RTS place will take effect from the beginning of the next Enrolment Period, providing the appropriate form is completed and lodged before the Census Date of the following Enrolment Period. The candidate will maintain the international status for that Enrolment Period and will be liable for any tuition fees for that Enrolment Period until the change of status takes effect from the following Enrolment Period.

[Back to top]

My student visa is expiring soon, what do I do to extend my student visa?

If you are an international HDR candidate and your visa is expiring, you will need to contact the Higher Degree Research Office (HDRO) to arrange for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) to extend your student visa.

In order that a new COE may be issued, you will need to:

  • Complete a "Request for COE Extension" form which is available from HDR Office
  • Ensure that you have paid all outstanding fees
  • Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) in accordance with the visa requirement.   Under the new requirements,  research candidates will need to have valid OSHC 8 months after the extended course end date.

HDRO will check your passport, OSHC and payment details.   Upon verification, HDRO will issue a new COE. You may then contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) to apply for a visa extension.

[Back to top]

I am a scholarship recipient and my scholarship will expire soon. Will I need to pay fees?

International scholarship holders who have not submitted their thesis by the scholarship expiry date will be required to pay tuition fee unless:

- approval has been given to extend the scholarship; or

- a completion scholarship (living allowance and tuition fees) has been approved by your department/faculty; or

- the department/faculty has agreed to pay their fees

Tuition fees are payable until the day of thesis submission. For details about calculation of Research tuition fees, please visit the University's Fees website for details.

Stipend payments will cease for scholarship holders who have not submitted the thesis before the scholarship expiry date unless either an approval has been given to extend the scholarship, or a Completion scholarship has been approved.

[Back to top]

Can I enrol part-time?

All international candidates who are studying in Australia under the student visa must study full-time.  Domestic candidates may choose to study full-time or part-time.

All scholarship recipients (including both domestic and international) must study full-time as part of the scholarship conditions, unless there are exceptional circumstances and approval for part-time study has been granted.

[Back to top]

Can I change place of study from onsite (Within) Australia to offsite(Outside) Australia?

Higher Degree Research (HDR) candidates are generally enrolled as onsite (internal) for their mode of study. HDR candidates wishing to conduct their research outside Australia as offsite candidates need to get the support from their supervisor and the Faculty. The University has to satisfy that adequate supervisory arrangements can be made before approval is granted. In some cases, an adjunct supervisor may need to be appointed.

If onsite international candidates are approved for offsite candidature part-way through their candidature, they will be reported to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) against their Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) and their student visa may be cancelled. They will be expected to leave Australia and continue their research outside Australia.

Candidates wishing to go overseas to collect data will also need to apply for Offsite research (OSR). Temporary Offsite research may be granted for up to 12 months in general (and up to 18 months for Anthropology candidates).

[Back to top]

What is the last date of fee payment?

Fees are payable in advance. International candidates are required to pay a Commencement fee which is equivalent to one semester's fee upon their acceptance of the offer. The Commencement fee is equivalent to the tuition fee for the first commencing semester and will be credited against that tuition fee.

For continuing candidates, fees must be paid at the beginning of each Enrolment Period/Session, ie by 25 January for Session 1 (1 January to 30 June) and by 25 July for Session 2 (1 July to 31 December).

International candidates whose scholarship is expiring during an Enrolment Period are expected to pay their tuition fees due at the beginning of the Enrolment Period, before the payment due date.  Fees are calculated from the end of the scholarship expiry date until the end of the Enrolment Period.  If the candidate submits the thesis by the scholarship end date, fees will be recalculated, and any credit balance will be refunded to the candidate.
Candidates are expected to check the Statement of Outstanding Charges through 'My Finances' via e-Student. Fees are to be paid by the due date shown on the Statement of Outstanding Charges. Any queries about fee payment should be addressed to Student Fees section at student_fees@mq.edu.au. Candidates who do not pay their fees by the due date risk enrolment cancellation under the University Policy. Fees paid after the Payment Due Date  will also attract a late Payment Penalty of AUS$200.

 [Back to top]

If I need to revise and resubmit my thesis, what date should be on the revised thesis?

Normally, candidates are given a full year to revise and resubmit a thesis. The actual date of the second submission is the date that should be used for the revised thesis.

For example, a candidate submits the thesis at the end of 2011. The examination process takes two months and is completed during 2012. As a result of the examination process, the candidate is required to revise and resubmit the thesis for re-examination. The revised thesis is resubmitted during 2012. The date used on this revised thesis should therefore be 2012 and the year 2012 should appear on the spine of the bound copies and title page of the thesis.

[Back to top]

Scholarship Related Questions

Are there any scholarships for research degree students and what do they cover?

Scholarships are available for research students by competitive application. Further details on scholarships open for application can be found in the Scholarship section.  Scholarships have three flexible component parts: a living allowance (stipend), tuition fee support and other allowances. The letter of offer to the successful scholarship applicant will specify the individual availability of each component part and this is based on applicant eligibility and scholarship availability.

The living allowance stipend provides a contribution towards the living expenses of the individual scholarship holder only and is not intended to cover all costs. A single student living in Sydney is likely to require approximately AU$19,000-$22,000 for living expenses each year, including accommodation costs.

Coursework Scholarships: Domestic candidates applying for coursework programs should contact the Coursework Studies Section for information on Equity and other coursework scholarships. International candidates applying for coursework programs should contact Macquarie International on information relating to international coursework scholarships or visit Macquarie International's scholarship website.

[Back to top]

What is the academic referee report for? How many referee reports should I submit? How long are they valid? Can they be used more than once?

An Academic Referee Report is needed to support  applications for a scholarship in Higher Degree Research at Macquarie University. It should be written by someone (preferably a senior academic) who has provided some form of supervision to the applicant and who has had an  opportunity to assess applicant's research potential in relation to his/her selected topic.

Two separate academic referee reports are to be submitted for applicants who have applied for both domestic and international scholarships at Macquarie University.

Completed academic referee  reports are forwarded from the referees directly to the HDR Scholarships  Team. Referee reports are valid for six months and can be used to  apply for more than one scholarship in that time.

[Back to top]

Does my referee have to be a senior academic?

A senior academic is preferred. However, it is not always possible for applicants to have access to academic staff familiar with recent work. In such cases, applicants should nominate a referee who has provided some form of supervision and who has had an opportunity to assess research potential in relation to the topic.

[Back to top]

Has my referee report arrived?

Scholarship applicants will need to contact the nominated referees to ensure the report has been completed and sent to HDRO within the required timeframe.

[Back to top]

What if my referee is not able to send the referee report before the closing date?

Reports must be sent within one week of the scholarship closing date. Forms can be faxed to +61 2 9850 6198 or emailed to hdrschol@mq.edu.au.

[Back to top]

Can I apply for more than one scholarship and how can I do that?

Yes, applicants may apply for more than one scholarship on the same form. Each scholarship name and reference number (if applicable) must be clearly stated on the form.

Applicants wishing to nominate another scholarship after submission should email hdrschol@mq.edu.au with a request to be assessed for the additional nominated award. Please note that applicants using generic terms like "all" or "any" scholarships will not be processed.

[Back to top]

How do I activate my scholarship payments and what do I need to do this?

Scholarship payments are activated soon after Australian financial account details(Account number and BSB number) and a completed Living Allowance Claim (LAC) form are submitted to HDRO. These forms are forwarded to successful applicants with their offer. The Living Allowance Claim(LAC) form requires confirmation of your study commencement date by your Principal Supervisor .

Scholarships payment can only be made after enrolment commencement and payments can only be made to an Australian financial institution.

There may be a two to four-week delay in recipients receiving their first scholarship payment depending on when their LAC form is received and can be processed by HDRO and how the Department of Human Resources (HR) fit in with the fortnightly payroll schedule. Scholarship backpayments are usually made in their first payment. Scholarship recipients may check the details of their scholarship payments via HR Online.

[Back to top]

After submitting my living allowance form when will my scholarship payments start?

The University pays fortnightly on a Thursday. HDRO staff can advise the approximate date of first payment at the time of The Living Allowance Claim (LAC) form submission.

[Back to top]

How do I obtain funding for my research expenses?

Funding to support research expenses is available within each Faculty. Principal Supervisors and Faculty HDR Managers should be contacted for further information about the financial support available to assist with research expenses.

[Back to top]

Can I defer my scholarship start date?

Scholarship start dates may be deferred with approval from the University subject to the conditions of the award. Requests can be made by email to hdrschol@mq.edu.au. A deferral request for candidature is considered for approval by the Principal Supervisor, the Faculty and HDRO. Generally the maximum deferral allowed is 1 semester.

Deferral of scholarship would depend on the scholarship expiry date and approval from the Higher Degree Research Committee (HDRC) delegate or the DVC(R).

[Back to top]

How soon will I hear about my scholarship application?

HDR candidates who have applied for candidature and scholarship will be assessed for both admission and scholarship at the same time. If the candidate is not successful with their PhD or MPhil application, they will not be considered further for any scholarship and will be notified of their outcome as soon as the results are available.

Generally, applications are first processed by the Higher Degree Research Office (HDRO) and are then forwarded to the Faculty for consideration. If candidates are recommended for a scholarship, the recommendation will be reviewed and approved by the Higher Degree Research Committee (HDRC) delegate. Once approved, the candidate will be notified of the outcome. The assessment process takes around 4-6 weeks depending on the type of award under consideration and the timing.

For Government scholarships such as the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) for international candidates or the Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) for domestic candidates, they are considered together as a batch after the closing date(s) (31 August for IPRS and 30 October for APA). They are first ranked at the departmental level, then at faculty level, after which will be ranked at the university level. The top ranked applicants will be offered the respective government award. The university may also award additional Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships (MQRES/iMQRES) to high-achieving applicants who were unable to get the Government award. At these competitive government scholarship rounds, the IPRS applicants are informed of their outcome sometime in November and the APA applicants in early December.

[Back to top]

How will I be advised of a nomination?

Applicants are advised by email of the application outcome.

[Back to top]

I am a scholarship recipient and my scholarship will expire soon but I still need to work on my research. Do I have to pay fees?

International scholarship recipients are not required to pay fees while on a scholarship which includes payment of tuition fees. However, once the scholarship expires, the normal international fee rate applies. If the scholarship expires before the end of the enrolment period, fees may be charged at the beginning of the enrolment period.  Students are expected to pay this fee in advance. If candidates experience problems with fee payment, they can contact student_fees@mq.edu.au.  If students have problems in paying their fees and would like to discuss payment plans, they should contact the Assistant Director of Revenue Services prior to the payment due date to make arrangements. Candidates who do not pay their fees by the due date risk enrolment cancellation under the University Policy.

[Back to top]

International Research Student Issues

How do I apply for the visa?

International candidates who have been offered a place in a research degree program will need to apply for a student visa before coming to Australia to study. Step by step guides on "how to apply for a student visa" can be found on DIAC's website.

[Back to top]

I have now got my student visa, where can I find accommodation?

Macquarie International office offers international candidates assistance with airport pickup and accommodation. Candidates are requested to contact the Accommodation Team on housing@mq.edu.audirectly or to visit Macquarie International's website to apply on-line.

[Back to top]

What happens if I miss the Orientation and Commencement programs?

The Higher Degree Research Office organises Orientation programs for new commencing international research candidates and a Central Commencement Program for all commencing research candidates. Orientation sessions are organised throughout the year. In the event that the candidate has missed the current Orientation session, arrangements will be made for the candidate to attend the next available session. Candidates who miss out on the Central Commencement Program will be invited to participate in the next available Commencement Program, which is usually at the beginning of the following semester. The program may also be completed online. Please see handbook.

[Back to top]

How can I apply for my family members to visit me while I am studying in Australia?

International candidates who have enrolled at Macquarie University may apply for their family members to visit Australia during their study period in Australia. Candidates should check with DIAC regarding the exact details for such an application. 

[Back to top]

How do I renew my Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?

International candidates studying on a student visa must ensure that their Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is valid at all times. OSHC should be renewed before expiry. New international candidates applying for a visa after 5 November 2011 are required to purchase OSHC for the full visa period upfront, which includes a period of 8-10 months after the course end date. For further details of this requirements, please check DIAC's website.

Macquarie University's official Health Provider is OSHC Worldcare. Students whose OSHC has been arranged through the University in the first place may wish to check on Macquarie International's site on how to renew OSHC

[Back to top]

Under what circumstances can I suspend my study and how long can I suspend it for?

International candidates who come to study in Australia under a student visa cannot apply for Leave of Absence unless in exceptional circumstances such as personal or serious family illness.  If such circumstance occurs and the student is approved for Leave of Absence as per University Policy, HDRO will report the approved leave to DIAC.  

Any period of approved Leave of Absence will change the candidature end date.   A new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) may be issued for the extended candidature.   Students should take the COE to apply for visa extension before their visa expires.   Candidates should check with DIAC for further advice by calling 131881.   Candidates wishing to stay in Australia during the approved leave period should contact DIAC. 

[Back to top]

Can I suspend my study to go overseas for medical reasons? How long can I suspend my study for?

International candidates with approved Leave of Absence (LOA) due to medical reasons will have their study suspended during the approved LOA period. HDRO will report to DIAC on the suspension of study and the candidate generally will need to leave the country during this LOA period. A new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) may be issued for visa extension if required. International candidates on approved LOA must contact DIAC prior to departure in order to confirm the necessary visa arrangements for return to Australia.

Under the Macquarie University Policy, LOA is considered on a case by case basis and the accumulated period of which should not exceed 12 months.

[Back to top]

I have submitted my thesis but my student visa allows me to stay here for another 6 months. Can I stay here and wait for my examination results?

Generally speaking, once a candidate has submitted the thesis, the Higher Degree Research Office will report to DIAC. The candidate has a responsibility to contact DIAC regarding any change of visa status. Candidates wishing to stay in Australia while under examination should contact DIAC directly for advice about the relevant visa conditions.

[Back to top]

If I am asked to make corrections for my thesis and my visa expires. What do I do?

Candidates who are asked to make corrections to the examined thesis will be given a period of 1 month to make the required changes. International candidates whose visa is expiring and have returned to their home country may make the corrections overseas.

Students who are asked to revise and resubmit for the thesis will be required to re-enrol for their research program and will be given a maximum of 12 months for this revision. The revised thesis is then submitted for re-examination. Fees are payable for the re-enrolment period. HDRO is able to arrange a new Confirmation of Enrolment for such candidates if required. International candidates may also seek approval to complete the revision offshore.

[Back to top]

Can I work full-time after I have submitted my thesis?

International candidates who have submitted the thesis will not be enrolled as full-time students and should check with DIAC directly about current visa status and work eligibility.

[Back to top]

Am I covered by university insurance on campus or when I travel?

Macquarie University covers researchers for Travel, Public Liability and Accident. More information is available from the  Office of Financial Services 'University Insurance' webpages

[Back to top]

Further FAQs relating to international students

Please check DIAC's site for further information.

[Back to top]

Annual Progress Report

Why is an Annual Progress Report (APR) necessary?

The Annual Progress Report is primarily designed to provide a structure for planning and reflection on progress. It facilitates the formal discussion and evaluation of progress whilst providing an opportunity to discuss and revise future research goals.

It is also an opportunity to evaluate all aspects of candidature and document any difficulties or problems which may have had an impact on the research program and which may either immediately or in the future necessitate a variation in the candidature. In the event of a need for scholarship holders to apply for an extension of scholarship (where extensions are permitted, e.g. APA, APAI and IPRS scholarship holders), it will be necessary to document any progress problems in the report.

The report is intended as an opportunity to demonstrate academic progress as a higher degree research candidate.  This is particularly important in light of the time limit for candidature and to ensure candidature completion within this time limit.

[Back to top]

Are there other uses for this Report?

Yes, Annual Progress Reports are reviewed as part of the assessment process for applications for Postgraduate Research Funding (PGRF) support.

[Back to top]

Who needs to complete the current Annual Progress Report?

Candidates currently enrolled in the time-based (ie research) component of their degree and have been enrolled for any length of time during 2014, irrespective of being within or outside of the maximum period of candidature, will be required to complete the report. For example if you have remained enrolled since 1 January 2014 except for the period 16 March to 15 May 2014 when you were on Leave of Absence, you will need to complete a report.

In cases where the Principal Supervisor is on leave, the Acting Supervisor should complete the Report in consultation with either/both Associate Supervisor and/or Co-Supervisor.

[Back to top]

Who does not need to complete the current Annual Progress Report?

Candidates in the following categories will not be required to complete a report:

  • new candidates who enrol after 31 July 2014 (i.e. commence candidature on or after 1 August 2014);  or
  • current HDR candidates who have been on continuous Leave of Absence since 1 January 2014; or
  • candidates who have submitted their thesis to the Higher Degree Research Office on or before 7 October 2014 - start date of the 2014 APR process; or
  • candidates who have notified the University of their complete withdrawal from their degree on or before 7 October 2014 - start date of the 2014 APR process

[Back to top]

Do HDR candidates who are still enrolled in the coursework component of their degree have to complete the Annual Progress Report?

No, candidates who are still undertaking coursework units and have not yet commenced their time-based unit in professional doctoral programs (e.g. DBA, DAppLing, DProfComm) are NOT required to participate in the Annual Progress Report review.

[Back to top]

Do I need to complete the Annual Progress Report if I am in the process of revising and re-submitting my thesis for re-examination?

Yes, candidates requested to 'revise and resubmit' their thesis for re-examination are required to be re-enrolled while carrying out this additional work and therefore need to complete this report.

[Back to top]

Do I need to complete the Annual Progress Report if I am in the process of making major/minor corrections to my thesis?

No, candidates who have had their thesis examined but are required to make major or minor corrections to their thesis do not need to complete this report.

[Back to top]

What happens if I don't complete and submit the Annual Progress Report by the due date?

Continuation of candidature and, where relevant, scholarship funding, is conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory progress report. Failure to complete and submit the report will result in a show cause determination. If a scholarship holder, the scholarship will be suspended effective from the report due date. Candidates are required to contact their Faculty HDR Manager and the Higher Degree Research Office immediately if there are any concerns about submitting the report by the due date.

Certain candidates such as those sponsored by AUSAid or under a US Loan Agreement must submit the report on time or risk having this support withdrawn.

[Back to top]

How is the Expected Work Submission (EWS) Date calculated? And what does 'OOT' mean?

When a candidate enrols, the University student system will automatically record the candidate's EWS Date based on the date of commencement and the standard period of candidature.

The standard period of candidature for a:

  • PhD is four years for full-time study and eight years for part-time study (equating to a total of four EFTSL*)
  • MPhil is two years for full-time study and four years for part-time study (equating to a total of two EFTSL)

* EFTSL, or Equivalent Full-Time Study Load, is a measure of the study load, for a year, of a student undertaking a course of study on a full-time basis.

For example if a candidate enrols in a PhD full-time, on 15 March 2014, their EWS date will be 15 March 2018;  if they enrol as a part-time candidate, their EWS date will be 15 March 2022.

Important Note: PhD scholarship holders should note that their awards normally prescribe a maximum tenure of 3.5 years. International candidates who fail to submit their thesis within this timeframe will be liable for tuition fees when their scholarship expires.

Candidates who have consumed the standard HDR EFTSL are referred to as "out-of-time" (OOT). When a candidate has reached the maximum consumable EFTSL for their candidature, their enrolment will cease (ie there will be NO automatic extension of enrolment). OOT candidates will be required to formally apply for approval in order to be re-enrolled. (See Out-of-time Policy)

[Back to top]

Can I attach additional pages to the online report?

No, the online system does not allow attachment of additional pages; however you may send additional information to your supervisor separately.

[Back to top]

Will I see the comments made by my supervisor and the Faculty Associate Dean (HDR)?

Yes, at the end of the Annual Progress Review process candidates will be able to download a completed report that contains Faculty comments.

[Back to top]

What if I don't want my supervisor to see my comments?

The University acknowledges that some candidates may experience issues that are affecting their progress but which they do not wish to put in writing in their Annual Progress Report. If you are unable to discuss these with your supervisor(s) or the Departmental HDR Director or the Faculty Associate Dean (HDR), you may request a confidential appointment with the Dean, Higher Degree Research, Professor Nick Mansfield. Alternatively, candidates may separately submit a document to Professor Mansfield for his consideration.

Phone: (+ 61 2) 9850 8718
Fax:  (+ 61 2) 9850 6596
Email: nick.mansfield@mq.edu.au

[Back to top]

What is a confidential comment?

This is information submitted by a candidate to any of the following person/s confidentially:

  • Departmental HDR Director
  • Faculty Associate Dean (Higher Degree Research)
  • Dean, Higher Degree Research

The online review process will allow you to submit a confidential comment; the information submitted will not be saved or recorded anywhere else.

[Back to top]

Why are there gaps in the question numbers of my Annual report?

There are in total 30 questions asked in the Annual Report and not all questions will necessarily apply to you.  Questions 1-19 are to be answered by all candidates. Questions 20-23 are to be answered by scholarship holders only.

[Back to top]

What happens to my Annual Progress Report after the process is completed?

Your finalised Annual Progress Report will be retained as an important student document and official record in the Faculty and in the HDRO. The HDRO will action requests for scholarship extensions made on the APR. Data on training needs will be used by the Division of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) and the Faculties to continually improve HDR research training assistance at Macquarie University.

[Back to top]


What sort of requests can be submitted by eform?

See the list of current candidature management forms on this page: http://www.hdr.mq.edu.au/information_about/forms

[Back to top]

How long does it take for my eform to be processed?

It takes about 10 working days. If you do not have an outcome after the 10 working days is up, please contact you faculty HDR administration to find out the status of the form.

[Back to top]

How do I find out if my request submitted by eform has been accepted or rejected?

You will receive an automated email to your student MQ email address alerting you to the fact that your request has been declined, or that the outcome is ready for viewing in the eform.

You can download the official approval letter from the eform. You may also save a copy of the form as PDF. To do this, open the form and go to the report icon in the top-left hand of the form screen to do this.

[Back to top]

What do I do if the form has been sent back to me by my supervisor?

You will need to amend the form. To do this you must discuss the required changes with your supervisor/s first, then log in and provide the new information in the old form.

[Back to top]

Who will review my request?

Most candidature forms which require the approval from the faculty will be reviewed by the principal supervisor, Head of department, Faculty HDR office, faculty Associate Dean of HDR, HDRO staff and the Director of HDRO.

[Back to top]

Are here any guidelines to help me complete my form?

Yes. There are guidelines about the policies and procedures pertaining to each form accessible from this page:

There are also manual for students and manual for reviewers.

[Back to top]

I cannot log in cannot see parts of the form or I am getting an error

Try to log in using firefox. This should solve the problem.

If not successful, please log a onehelp ticket here:

[Back to top]

Are there any guidelines for reviewer or admin staff?

Yes. There are manual and HDR eFORMS overview for reviewers and admin staff.

[Back to top]

How do I check my scholarship details before lodging an e-form?

Go to the e-form portal and select the Check Enrolment Details form. For details on how to access the e-form portal please see "How do I submit an e-form" in the previous part of this page.

[Back to top]

How do I check my consumed study load to date?

Go to the e-form portal and select the Check Enrolment Details form. For details on how to access the e-form portal please see "How do I submit an e-form" in the previous part of this page.

[Back to top]

How do I check my degree details?

Go to eStudent and login with your OneID. Alternatively, go to the e-form portal and select the Check Enrolment Details form. For details on how to access the e-form portal please see "How do I submit an e-form" in the previous part of this page.

[Back to top]

I am a new scholarship recipient and I want to start receiving my stipend payments. What do I need to do?

HDRO will send you an email requesting you to submit the appropriate e-form. Please follow the instruction in that email sent to your student email address.

[Back to top]

Will I be notified of the outcome of my request submitted by e-form?

If you have lodged an COP, LOA, SUP, EXTN, TRF form and your request has been approved, you will be sent an email to your student email account. This email will give you instructions on how to access the outcome. If your request has been declined, you will receive an email in your student account advising you of this fact.

[Back to top]

How do I apply for a letter confirming my student status for travel purposes?

Go to the e-forms portal and submit the Letter for Travel e-form. For details on how to access the e-form portal please see "How do I submit an e-form" in the previous part of this page.

[Back to top]

Back to the top of this page