In the lead up to the 2015 Macquarie University Research Excellence Awards, This Week is profiling nominees each week before winners are announced at an Awards Dinner this Wednesday 4 November.
This week, we focus on two award categories: Excellence in Research – Five Future Shaping Research Priorities (Healthy People, Resilient Societies, Prosperous Economies, Secure Planet and Innovative Technologies) and the Jim Piper Award for Excellence in Research Leadership.
The awards in this category recognise the creation and application of research outcomes, the discovery of new knowledge or the use of existing knowledge in a new and creative way to generate new concepts, methodologies and understanding.
There are five awards within this category – see below for our 10 highly commended applicants and their research stories:
- Associate Professor Brian Atwell (Science and Engineering)
- Dr Nicholas Badcock (Human Sciences)
- Associate Professor Andrew Barron (Science and Engineering)
- Professor Jennifer Hudson (Human Sciences)
- Professor Nicki Packer (Science and Engineering)
- Professor Joseph Pugliese (Arts)
- Professor David Raftos (Science and Engineering)
- Professor Wendy Rogers (Arts, Medicine and Health Sciences)
- Professor Mark Taylor (Science and Engineering)
- Professor Stefan Trueck (Business and Economics)
This award is to recognise, encourage and reward those researchers who are on a path to becoming research leaders at Macquarie.
Below are our two highly commended applicants and their research stories: