10 questions with… Alison Rodger

alison-rodger_web

Professor Alison Rodger joined Macquarie in 2017 after more than 20 years at the University of Warwick in the UK. Her research focuses on understanding the structure and function of biomacromolecules ­­– molecules that are produced by living organisms.

Alison is particularly passionate about supporting the career development of early career researchers and gender equity in STEM, serving on the department’s Women in Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences leadership group.

1) In a nutshell, my job is to…
Support my colleagues to achieve their potential. In practice this means a lot of talking and administration. I also try to find time to keep my research alive.

2) The question I hear most often in my work is…
“Can I do …?” or “Why can’t I do/have …?”

3) The thing I find most rewarding in my role is…
Seeing my colleagues achieve something where I can convince myself I’ve a played a key enabling role.

4) This year I want to…
Make my laboratory a constant hum of activity.

5) The bravest thing I’ve done is…
Contradicted my elders and betters – hopefully politely and positively!

6) A place that’s special to me is…
My garden and its bush outlook, with a stream just past the bottom of the garden.

7) My mother/father always told me…
“If you can’t remember it, it isn’t important.” While it’s transparently nonsense, it’s very comforting!

8) I’m scared of…
Mice and any bigger rodents.

9) My hidden talent is…
I’m a fairly open person, so I’m not sure I have talents that are hidden. But following recent building work at home I now have an expanded list of non-talents, the latest being installing cornices!

10) A moment I’ll always remember is…
When I realised my father didn’t really understand logarithms and it would just irritate me if I ever asked him to help with my homework again!