Changes to fees

Changes to fees

Annual fee increases

The University reviews the per credit point fees each year and may increase them in the following year.

The tuition fees are set by the University Executive after a broad consultation process. They are set at a rate that allows the University to provide the best quality services and facilities to our students.

Changes to fees between your offer and your enrolment date

International students at Macquarie University will pay the fee that is current at the time they enrol.

Information about current fee rates is published in our online course finder and students are expected to check the latest information before commencing.

Changes to your circumstances

You need to notify Macquarie University immediately if any of the following changes to your circumstances:

International students granted Australian permanent residency

If you are granted Australian permanent residency, you need to inform Macquarie University immediately. All fee adjustments and calculations will be made from the date you notify Macquarie University (not the date that permanent residency is granted).

Permanent residency is granted before you start at Macquarie University

If you obtain permanent resident status in Australia before starting uni, you should apply for admission through the Undergraduate Studies Section or the Postgraduate Studies Section as appropriate to the level of their program.

Permanent residency is granted after you have started at Macquarie University

If you are granted permanent residency while studying, you need to notify Macquarie University of this change before the census date in the relevant study period.

To change residency details, provide a copy of your current passport photo page via AskMQ with subject heading ‘ATTN Comm Loans Team – Change of Residency Status’ or by email to

If Macquarie is not notified before the census date, you will be considered an international student for fee calculation purposes.

If you continue study any credit in your account will remain in your account in full to be allocated towards tuition fees in subsequent study periods.

Variations to course length and how this may affect the fees

If you progress through your course at a faster or slower rate than normal, this will not usually affect the amount of fees you must pay, except:

  • If you fail a subject or subjects and have to repeat it/them, a second attempt at a subject is charged as an additional subject. This subject will be charged at the fee rate current at the time you re-attempt the subject.
  • If you fail several subjects and therefore need more than two study periods longer than the standard duration to complete your course, you may be required to pay at a higher rate for any subsequent study periods.
  • If you take more subjects than you need to complete your degree, you will have to pay for each additional subject.
  • If you take additional subjects in any study period, you will be charged for the total credit points in which you are enrolled, however, in total, your degree will not cost any more, unless you do more subjects than are needed to graduate.
  • If you undertake more units in one study period, you may complete your degree early and so may be eligible for a partial refund of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Transferring to a new course

If you transfer from one course to another, you will pay the fee for the new course. The only exceptions to this are:

  • When the change is a minor one, such as a change of major, for example, in the Bachelor of Arts, you may change your major from History to Politics.
  • Transfers involving articulation between programs in the same discipline, for example, having completed a Postgraduate Diploma a student may transfer to a Masters degree in the same area of study.

Unless your letter of offer specifically states that your fees will remain the same for the duration of both programs, you must pay the fee applying at the time you transfer, even if that fee is higher than the fees were at the time you first enrolled.

Taking leave

Macquarie University does not have formal leave of absence in its degree rules. If, however, you must discontinue your degree for any reason, when you return you will have to pay the fees at the rate as if you were a commencing student.

Fee extensions

The University does not grant fee extension under normal circumstance. Payment Plans are available for students who are experiencing short-term financial difficulty due to unforeseen circumstance which impacts their ability to pay by the Payment Due Date. Please refer to the difficulties with payment page for information on eligibility criteria, cost and submitting an application.

There is no payment extension option for new Macquarie students. For your first study period at Macquarie, you must pay for your first study period tuition fee in full before an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment will be issued and you can enrol for your course. For your second study period at Macquarie, you must pay your tuition in full by the Payment Due Date.

Please note: Students who are waiting on payments from home country governments (ie. Financial Aid from Sweden, Norway, USA, Canada) must contact your International Student Adviser if a delayed payment is expected.

Please also see information about refunds and withdrawing from study.

Back to the top of this page