Professor Enrico Coiera
Phone: +61 2 9850 2403
MB BS Syd, PhD UNSW, FACMI, FACHI
Professor Enrico Coiera is Director of the Centre for Health Informatics, Australian Institute of Health Innovation, Macquarie University.
Trained in medicine with a computer science PhD in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Professor Coiera is Foundation Professor in Medical Informatics at Macquarie University and Director of the Centre for Health Informatics, a group he co-founded in 2000. With a research background in industry and academia, he has a strong international research reputation for his work on decision support and communication processes in biomedicine.
He spent 10 years at the prestigious Hewlett-Packard Research Laboratories in Bristol UK where he led numerous health technology projects. He has overseen the development and trial of multiple e-Health interventions, including the Healthy.me consumer system and clinical decision support systems.
His textbook Guide to Health Informatics is in its 3rd edition, is widely used internationally, and is translated into several languages.
He has over 330 publications, over 15,000 citations in Google Scholar with an H-index of 60 (Google Scholar). 38 of these publications have more than 100 citations, 8 more than 300 and one is over 1,900.
Professor of Health Informatics
Director, Centre for Health Informatics
- Australian Alliance for Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare (AAAiH)
- NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence in Digital Health
- NHMRC Partnership Centre in Health System Sustainability
- Creating safe, effective systems of care: The translational challenge
- Patient safety
External positions, society memberships and professional activities
- Associate Editor, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 2017 → …
- Foundation Member, International Academy of Health Sciences Informatics 2017 → …
- Editorial Committee, Healthdirect Australia 2013 → …
- Journal Editorial Board, BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2006 → …
- Foundation Fellow, Australasian College of Health Informatics 2002 → …
- International Fellow, American College of Medical Informatics 1999 → …
- Member, American Medical Informatics Association 1999 → …
- Editorial Board, Journal of Medical Internet Research 1998 → …
- 2015 François Grémy Award of Excellence, International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA)
- 2006 Intel Don Walker award for Quality
- 2005 IBM Research Laboratories Faculty Award (USA)
Specific research keywords
Health and Biomedical Informatics, Artificial Intelligence, Health Services Research, Evidence Based Medicine, Systems Science, Health systems science, Communication in Health Care Systems, Evidence-based Decision Support, Bioinformatics, E-health, Patient Safety, Health System Sustainability