China Scholarship Council (CSC) - Macquarie University Joint Postgraduate Scholarship Program
PhD, MRes Y2
31 Oct 2018 12am AEDT
31 Jan 2019 11pm AEDT
Scholarship available to
Macquarie University (MQ) in partnership with the China Scholarship Council (CSC) will jointly offer a number of postgraduate research scholarships for 3 years full time PhD research.
Macquarie University has an enviable reputation of research excellence and achievement. Our researchers have led or contributed to world-leading research with world-changing impact in a variety of fields. Despite the strength of our current research reputation and historic achievements, Macquarie’s research future depends upon our ability to adapt, modify and focus our research efforts. Macquarie welcome international candidates to join us in undertaking research in various disciplines.
Macquarie University (MQ) in partnership with the China Scholarship Council (CSC) will jointly offer a number of postgraduate research scholarships for 3 years full time PhD research. Successful candidates may commence their PhD at Macquarie University from July 2019, subject to confirmation of CSC approval and support.
Macquarie University Research Disciplines
Macquarie University is promoting joint MQ-CSC scholarship applications for PhDs at MQ in the following disciplines:
- Psychology and Cognitive Science
- Physics and Astronomy
- Macquarie Graduate School of Management
- Medicine and Surgery
- Mathematical Sciences
- Law and Legal Studies
- Languages and Linguistics
- Information and Computing Sciences
- Human Society
- History and Archaeology
- Health Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Creative Arts, Communication and Culture
- Chemical and Biomolecular Science
- Business and Economics
- Build Environment and Design
- Biological Sciences
- Master of Research (MRes) Year 2 + PhD Bundle (1 year + 3 years)
- 3 year Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
These scholarships are worth $27,596 pa (CSC scholarship + top up to RTP award rate) in living allowance, plus tuition fees.
The duration of the CSC scholarship may vary according to the course. PhD enrolment at MQ is three years. Candidates who do not meet direct entry into the PhD program may need to undertake the Research training pathway program, the Master of Research (MRes). The MRes is a two-year program. If a candidate is required to undertake Year 2 of the MRes program prior to the PhD, the total duration of the combined program will take up to 4 years. For details of CSC funding refer to information at: http://apply.csc.edu.cn/.
For successful candidates who meet MQ's entry criteria and who are awarded the CSC stipend, MQ will award a tuition fee scholarship and will provide a top up to the CSC living allowance to the value of the RTP award rate for up to 3 years for the PhD. If the candidate is required to undertake Year 2 of the research training pathway program, the Master of Research (MRes), MQ will provide tuition fees to cover Year 2 of the MRes. There will be no top up of the living allowance in Year 2 of the MRes.
If a candidate has a conditional MQ offer of enrolment subject to the CSC award, and the CSC award is not given, the candidate may still enrol at MQ but will be required to pay for all costs, including tuition fee and cost of living.
We can also offer candidates an opportunity to participate in our Cotutelle – jointly supervised co enrolment programs. Please refer to our HDR Cotutelle and Joint PhD website and email email@example.com if you have any further queries.
How to Apply
- New applicants will need to apply to Macquarie University for admission and scholarship. For details on how to submit an application please visit the HDR How to Apply website.
- New applicants apply by completing the Online HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application via the Online Application System. Within the application please answer the question Scholarship Details - Select the scholarship that you would like to be considered for at Macquarie University, select ‘CSC’
- To be considered for the scholarship applicants will need to arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office (HDRO). The academic referee will need to complete the ‘Academic Referee Report (Reference) for Scholarship’ form, available under HDRO Forms.
- Applications will be assessed at Macquarie University. If you are successful, Macquarie University will provide a provisional offer letter. MQ will provide CSC with a ranked list of suitable candidates (names and subject areas) to be considered for the scholarship program and a copy of the admissions offer letters for each candidate put forward.
- CSC will evaluate applications according to CSC requirements and priorities, and provide MQ with a shortlist of potential scholarship recipients. CSC will announce the final list of scholarship recipients and send offer letters to successful applicants.
- Selected candidates will then be given full offers of admission and scholarship for the relevant higher degree research program.
Application timeline (estimated dates, timeline to be confirmed closer to 2019):
- Applications are to be submitted no later than 31 January 2019: Deadline for prospective candidates to apply directly to MQ for admission (for a start in second half year, 2019)
- 20 March 2019: Deadline for prospective candidates to submit their CSC application for funding form and CSC employer reference form to CSC. Forms are available online at http://apply.csc.edu.cn. In some cases there may be a deadline for applications for the Chinese university that is nominating the candidate for the CSC scholarship. Prospective candidates should check with their university if there is an application deadline prior to the CSC application closing date.
- May 2019: CSC will evaluate the applications
- July 2019: Successful applicants will be expected to enrol and start their PhD study at MQ from July 2019. Candidates who are given a bundle offer with Year 2 of the MRes will be expected to commence their Year 2 MRes program in January 2020.
For CSC scholarship enquiries, please contact:
Ms Jing Meng
Division of American and Oceanian Affairs
China Scholarship Council
Level 13 Building A3 No. 9 Chegongzhuang Ave. Beijing 100044PR China
Tel:+86-010-66093949 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org