Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship
Macquarie University funds Higher Degree Research (HDR) scholarships through the Macquarie Research Excellence Scholarship Scheme (MQRES) for both international and domestic candidates. We fund postgraduate candidates of exceptional research promise and develop researchers with a proven capacity for research.
The Strategic Research Framework 2015 – 2024 is our roadmap by which we deliver World-Leading Research with World-Changing Impact.
100% of Macquarie University’s Research has been evaluated as being world class or above through the 2015 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) ratings.
Value and tenure
The international iMQRES covers tuition fees for up to a maximum of three years for a full-time Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). In addition to the tuition fees covered under the MQRES program, Macquarie University offers international awardees a matching living allowance stipend for up to a maximum of three years for a full-time PhD, valued at $26 288 (indexed annually) per annum tax exempt (2016 rate) paid as a fortnightly stipend. International candidates must organise and pay for their own Overseas Health Cover (OSHC).
The domestic MQRES offers awardees a living allowance stipend for up to a maximum of three years for a full-time PhD valued at $26, 288 per annum (indexed annually) tax exempt (2016 rate) paid as a fortnightly stipend. The Australian Government supports domestic candidates through the Research Training Scheme (RTS) and they do not pay fees.
These scholarships require applicants to be:
- newly commencing PhD candidates i.e. those commencing or those who have commenced in 2016 (including those who have completed the Master of Research program at Macquarie University)
- eligible for direct entry into the 3 three year PhD program and applicants must meet English Language Requirements. Read the eligibility requirements for PhD.
- International and domestic Candidates who have currently been offered Candidature for 2016 commencement and have not yet enrolled in their PhD program are eligible to apply for these scholarships if they can commence by 15 December 2016.
- Candidates are expected to undertake full time, on-site candidature at Macquarie University by 15 December 2016.
- able to start in 2016 as an offer cannot be deferred beyond 2016.
- Eligible for direct entry PhD enrolment as bundle MRes/PhD offers will not be offered as part of this round
- not a currently enrolled candidate in Macquarie’s Master of Research (MRes) program.*
*MRes candidates progressing to PhD in 2017 are considered separately for scholarships based on their MRes final outcome. If they achieve a final mark of 85 or above, they will be considered for a 3 year PhD scholarship. Therefore current MRes candidates should not be applying for the above scholarships.
Successful scholarship applicants will usually have:
- an outstanding academic record
- a history of scholarships and prizes at the undergraduate level and
- may have evidence of peer-reviewed research activity, such as publications and/or conference presentations.
Applications are now open.
Please follow one of the below procedures depending on your current status:
- Newly commenced 2016 candidates who have met the enrolment criteria and have already been issued with a candidature offer should apply for the scholarship on the paper application form available here.
- Applicants who have applied to enrol at Macquarie University but who have not yet received their outcome who want to apply for these scholarships should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You may be required to submit additional documentation to make a case for scholarship consideration.
- New applicants are encouraged to submit their applications via eApplication. Paper-based applications will also be accepted. Emailed applications are not accepted. New candidates must note that their application will need to be assessed for both enrolment and scholarship. This process normally takes between 6-8 weeks. International candidates also need to take into consideration visa application processing timelines.
All applicants should write "2016 Mid-Year MQRES" under "Other scholarships" for these allocations when you apply online or write "2016 Mid-Year MQRES" under "Other" on the paper based application.
Incomplete applications cannot be considered and all required supporting documentation needs to be provided at application stage to avoid processing delays.
Applications must include a support letter from the Faculty Associate Dean (Higher Degree Research) when confirming the rating for scholarship.
Scholarships officers, Higher Degree Research office
Phone: (02) 9850 1893 or (02) 9850 9782
Content owner: HDR Research Training and Partnerships Last updated: 05 Sep 2019 3:34pm