[Sun logo] Under a Tropical Sun
 DocumentsResearchGalleryMapsLinksContact Us

Lachlan Macquarie: 1796 Diary

Jany. 1. Friday ! —I yesterday closed
my Evidence at the General Court
Martial - and was told that
I should not be required to attend
any more. — I have accordingly
taken my Passage on the Ship
Helen with my friend Capt. Seton,
who is taken up to carry down
Troops and Stores to Cochin for
the Expedition, and expects to sail
tomorrow or the day following. —

We spend our New Year's Day at
Home - en famille - with our dear
good friends the Oakes's. — But
notwithstanding all their gaiety and
every endeavour to make us all
cheerful and happy - my poor
dear Jane was in very low
Spirits all this day and could not
be comforted by any mirth. —

In the Evening my beloved Jane
and myself rode out in Major
Oakes's Carriage to call on Colonel
Kerr's Family, Mrs. Shaw, and several
other friends in the Country; for me
to take leave previous to my departure
for the Coast. —

Jany. 2. Saturday ! — The Helen and Fleet for
Malabar being now ready to sail,
I waited on the Governor immediately
after Breakfast today to ask for
his commands and take leave. — There
being a report of a French Privateer having
been lately seen on the Coast the Helen
and other Ships and Vessels were ordered
not to sail until some further accounts
were received respecting this intelligence.

My dearest Jane was quite overjoyed
at this unexpected detention - in
the fond hope that it may prove a
long one. — Our friend Colonel
Balfour gave us a parting
Dinner today - and invited a
number of our friends to meet
us - among whom were Major
and Mrs. Oakes, Capt. & Mrs. Marshall,
and Capt. & Mrs. Mackenzie. — We
spent a very pleasant Day - and my
dearest Jane kept up her Spirits
wonderfully well. —

Jany. 3. Sunday ! — The Report of a French
Privateer being seen on the Coast having
proved entirely void of foundation,
the Helen and the other Vessels
bound for Malabar have received
their orders to sail in the course of
the day. — Immediately after
Breakfast I waited on Colonel
Balfour and several other friends
in Town to take leave. — I then
returned Home to Major Oakes's and
sat with my darling Jane till the
time arrived for my going on board,
and was rejoiced to find her perfectly
composed - and now in a great degree
reconciled to my going on this Expedition,
since she is at length perfectly sensible
that I could not with honor or credit
avoid it. — Capt. Seton called on us at
12,O'Clock, and the good dear Mrs. Oakes
had an elegant Tiffing prepared for us
of which we partook. — I then took
leave of all I held dearest in
life; - my poor dear Jane was
deeply affected at parting - and
I was no less so myself tho' I strove
to hide it: - her distress however
was very great - and went deep
to my heart. — But I had the comfort
and happiness to reflect that I leave
her in good hands and surrounded by her Friends.

At One O'Clock I bid adieu to
my beloved wife - and proceeded
then along with Capt. Seton on board
the Helen, which weighed anchor
immediately and made sail out of
the Harbour in company with the Ships
Fortune and Jane, and likewise three
Ketches - having on board the 3d. Battn.
Native Infantry - One Company of European
Artillery & two of Lascars, with Four
months Provisions & Stores for the Detachment.
Our Passengers on board the Helen
were Mr. Hallet Paymr. - and Doctor
Mc.Neelance Surgeon of the Detachment,
Lieuts. Gordon, Nugent & Beete of the
3d. Battn. Nat: Infy., and Lieut. Chas.
Gordon of the 76th. Regt. - The latter Gentleman
is Cousin to my friend Robert Gordon
the Asst. Adjt. General at Bombay
and accompanies me as a Volunteer
on the Expedition - Col: Balfour having
granted him Permission to join and do
Duty with the 77th. Regiment. —

About 7,O'Clock this Evening just as
we were passing Hunary & Cannary Islands
we met the Exeter, Brunswick and
Bombay Castle Indiamen, coming into
the Harbour. — The first of these Ships
Hailed and informed us they are now
eleven weeks from the Cape of Good Hope,
which had surrendered to our Arms
in September last. — The Exeter also
told us that Admiral Sir Geo. Keith
Elphinstone's Squadron was to leave
the Cape for India on the 1st. Decr.
last. — After several other
questions having been asked and
answered on both sides - this little
Squadron passed us and we proceded [sic]
on our Voyage. — The Wind was
fair - but very light - and our
Fleet is making very slow progress.

Jany. 11. Monday ! — We arrive in Calicut
Roads; and being anxious to land
at Calicut in order to settle some
business there with Paymr. Wensley,
and also to look after my Servants
Furniture & Baggage at Staffa Lodge,
I removed from the Helen into
the Fatty-Bux Ketch along with
Mr. Hallett, who had also business to
transact on shore at Calicut. —

The Helen and the rest of our little
Fleet continued their course for Cochin,
whilst the Fatty-Bux stood in shore
and landed us about 1,O'Clock P.M.
at Calicut. — I found on landing there
that the 77th. Regt. had marched for Cochin
about Ten days ago. — I went out to the
Cantonments immediately and found
every thing safe at Staffa Lodge. —

I had however my Plate Chest removed,
into Town and lodged at Mr. Wensley's
House for the sake of greater Security,
there being only a small Guard of Sepoys
now left to take care of Cantonments.

I also sent into Town some Trunks belonging
to my beloved Jane for the purpose of
being forwarded to her to Bombay by
the first good opportunity, as they
contain a number of articles of
Dress that she will want there. —

During the few days I staid at
Calicut I slept in my own House in
Cantonments - but lived principally
with Major Gore and Mr. Wensley,
both of whom I found uncommonly
kind and attentive. —

Jany. 16. Saturday. — Mr. Hallett and myself
having now finished our business
at Calicut - we embarked at 8,O'Clock
this morning on board the Fatty-Bux
Ketch; - but there being no Wind, we
were obliged to remain at Anchor
until 2,O'Clock P.M. - when a fine
fair smart Breeze of Wind springing
up we set sail for Cochin. —

Jany. 17. Sunday ! — We have had a charming
fair wind over since we left Calicut
yesterday; and at 4,O'Clock this
afternoon we anchored in Cochin
River close to the Fort. — I waited
immediately on landing on my amiable
worthy friend Col: Petrie who was very
happy to see me. — I afterwards called
on Capt. Whitelocke, Doctr. Anderson,
and all my other 77th. Friends - all
of whom I found well and happy. —

I was most agreeably rejoiced to find
here on my coming on shore my dear
Brother in law George Jarvis living
with his friends of the 77th. Regiment. —

The destination of the Swift Cruizer having
been altered on her touching at Cochin
lately, where she is detained for the
purpose of convoying the Bombay
Detachment and Fleet of Transports
to Columbo, my Brother had no alternative
but to land here - and accompany us
to Columbo in hopes of the Flank Companies
of the 36th. being employed on that Service,
if not, the worthy good Col: Petrie
has promised to procure the permission
of Colonel Brathwaite Commanding
the Forces serving under the Madras
Presidency, for George Jarvis to serve
once more as a Volunteer with the
77th. on the present Service - which
has made poor George quite happy. —

I dined with Capt. Whitelocke who
had Col: Petrie and a large Party to
dine with him today. —

Jany. 18. Monday ! — Write this morning, by an
Express Pattamar Boat dispatched to
Bombay, to my beloved Jane giving her
accounts of my safe arrival at Cochin
and of my having found her Brother
George here. —

Jany. 21. Thursday ! — Colonel Petrie having
received intelligence that Colonel
Stuart with the Troops destined for the
Siege of Columbo, had embarked and sailed
from Madras, and that the whole of the
Troops destined for this Expedition were
directed to Rendezvous at Negombo,
in the Gulph of Manar; the Bombay
Detachment Embarked this morning
at Cochin on board their respective
Transports. — The whole of the 77th. Regt.
embarked on board the Epaminondas,
a very large Ship, which held us
all very commodiously. — Colonel
Petrie himself embarked on board
the Swift Cruizer Commanded by
Capt. Billamore. — The Fleet
weighed anchor and sailed from
Cochin Roads, under convoy of the
Swift, about 2,O'Clock in the afternoon.

I left Letters at Cochin for my
dearest Jane and Friends at Bombay
to go by Post via Madras. —

Jany. 31. Sunday ! — Anchored this morning
in Tutacorin Bay, in order to
get intelligence of Colonel Stuart
and his Fleet from Madras. —

Feby. 1. Monday. — My Brother George and
myself went this morning to pay our
respects to Col: Petrie on board the
Swift Cruizer. — We found him busy
preparing to go on shore at Tutacorin,
and having invited us to accompany
him we did so accordingly. — We
all dined with the Officer Commanding
at the Fort - and returned on board
in the Evening. — At Tutacorin we
first learnt the exact amount of
Colonel Stuart's Force, and the
names and description of the Corps
of which it is composed. — As from
this information it appears that no
part of the 36th. Regt. is to be employed on
this Expedition, Col: Petrie agreeably to
his kind promise has written to the
Officer commanding the Forces at Madras
to allow George Jarvis to serve
as a Volunteer on the present Service
with the 77th. Regiment, and with
which he has directed George should
in the mean time do Duty. —

Feby. 2. Tuesday. — Immediately after
Breakfast this morning, I went on
board the Swift to see Col: Petrie,
and had the pleasure of being then
introduced to Colonel Dugald
Campbell of the Madras Native
Cavalry, who had come on board
to see his old friend Col: Petrie.

Colonel Campbell, who commands
in the Tutacorin District, has, most
liberally and kindly sent a considerable
quantity of Fresh Stock on board of all
the Transports for the use of the
officers and men. — Colonel
Campbell is I find, a Native of
Argyleshire - and appears to be
a most pleasant agreeable man. —

At Noon today, our Fleet
weighed anchor, and sailed from
Tutacorin Bay - Standing over to
the Island of Ceylon across the
Gulph of Manar. —

Feby. 4. Thursday ! — At Day-break this morning
we got sight of the Madras Fleet, with
Colonel Stuart and the Troops from that
Residency for the Expedition on board,
we gained fast upon them - and by
10,O'Clock, we were close up with
them - almost forming but one Fleet;
thus meeting and uniting at a
most fortunate and happy moment.

At 11,O'Clock this forenoon,
both the Madras and Bombay Fleet of
Transports anchored in the little
Bay of Negombo - within about three
miles of the shore. —

Negombo is a small Town on
the Island of Ceylon - and about
Twenty four miles to the Northward
of Columbo - the Capital and
Chief Settlement of the Island, where
the Governor resides. —

In the Evening some of the
Madras Troops were landed, and
took possession of Negombo - and a
small Fort there - which the
Enemy abandoned and Retreated from
immediately on the approach of
our Troops to the shore even before
they landed. —

Feby. 5. Friday ! — The whole of the Troops
from both Madras and Bombay were
disembarked in the course of this
day at Negombo - where they were
Encamped. —

Feby. 6. Saturday ! — My Brother George
and myself were this morning
introduced by our friend Col: Petrie
to our new Commander in chief Colonel
Stuart who appears to be a pleasant
gentlemanlike man. —

The Army were this day Brigaded.
The command of the European Brigade,
consisting of the 52d., 73d. 77th. Regts.,
was given to Lieut. Colonel Banivea, [sic]
and that of the Bombay Sepoy Brigade
was given to Major Wiseman. —
The following were the General
and Brigade Staff attached to
Colonel Stuart's Army - Vizt.
Major Agnew — Adjt. Genl.
Major Allan — Qr. Mr. Genl. &c. &c.
Capt. Burough — Paymr. Genl. &c. &c.
Doctor Briggs — Surgeon Genl.
Mr. Atkinson — Commy. Genl.
Mr. Pearson — Do. Bbay Detachmt.
Mr. Hallett — Paymr. Do. Do.
Capt. Turin — Brigade Major
Madras Nat. Infy.
Capt. Robertson — Do. European Brigade
Lieut. Gray — Do. Bbay Nat. Do.
Feby. 7. Sunday ! — The Flank Companies
of the 3 King's Regiments
having been formed into a Battalion
under the command of Capt. Barbut
of the 73d. Regt., were joined this morning
by the Bbay Grenadr. Battn. of Sepoys
under Capt. McDonald, marched
this day at Noon under the command
of Lt. Colonel Petrie to take Post
12 miles in advance of the rest of the
Army. — Lt. Jarvis attached to 77th. Grenadrs.

Feby. 8. Monday ! — The Army marched
from Negombo at 2. P.M. - and
Encamped at Canore - on the Banks
of a deep Nulla of that name - about
10 Miles distance - at 7. P.M. —

Feby. 9. Tuesday.— The Army moved on at
Day-break; - crossed the Nulla in
Tonies, which took up several hours,
and Encamped at Jeelaul [?] at 6. P.M.
distance about 10 Miles. —

Feby. 10. Wednesday — This is Halting Day. —

I went to call on Lt. Col: Petrie
and my Brother George at the
Camp of the Flank Battalion,
about a mile in advance from
our Ground, immediately as soon as
I had Breakfasted, accompanied by
Doctr. Anderson and Lieut. Shaw, -
and staid for a Couple of Hours
there. — The Flank Battn. & Grenadr.
Battn. are Encamped close to the
Banks of the Mulwaiee River,
on the opposite side of which a
body of 700 men of the Enemy are
Intrenched with 7 Pieces of Cannon,
ready to dispute our Passage
across this River, as given
out by themselves. — They fired
several Guns in the course of this
day across the River at our Camp,
and at the Parties sent out to
Reconnoitre - by which one of our
Public Native followers was wounded.

Feby. 11. Thursday — It was discovered at
Day break this morning that the Enemy
had abandoned their Intrenchments on the
opposite side of the Mulwaiee River
in the course of last Night, and went
off in such a hurry that they took none
of their Guns with them but threw
them into the River. This last part
of the intelligence was confirmed by some
Deserters who came in to us from the
Enemy this morning. —

At 1. P.M. The Army crossed
the River Mulwaiee in three Divisions,
within a few minutes of one another
forming Line, as soon as they crossed,
fronting Columbo and our rear
to the river. — The Line advanced
at Four O'Clock for about a mile,
and halted on very strong commanding
Ground within about 3 miles of
the Town and Fortress of Columbo,
without being in the least annoyed
or molested by the Enemy. Here
the Camp was Pitched - but the
whole of the Army lay all night
on their Arms. — The Flank Battalion
has been posted about a quarter
of a mile in front of the Line. —

Feby. 12. Friday ! — At Dawn of Day this
morning the Enemy attacked our
Advanced Corps, and made several
attempts to storm and take two Six Pounders
attached to it, but were every time
repulsed with great loss. — The Malays
were the most forward in these attacks,
and made several attempts to stab
our Artillery men at the Guns with
their creesses. — The Enemy was
in considerable Force not being less
than a Thousand Europeans and
Malays. — Our Advanced Corps
was therefore Reinforced from the
European Brigade soon after the
attack commenced, and which did
not cease till 9,O'Clock, when the
Enemy was completely repulsed - and
pursued to near the Walls of Columbo.

The Enemy lost their commanding
Officer (Colonel De Lisle) who was
mortally wounded, and about 150
men killed and wounded. — Our
loss was one officer killed (Ensign
Grant of the 77th. Regt.), and 18 men
killed and wounded. —

My Brother in law Lieut. Jarvis
of the 36th. - who was attached to and
doing Duty with the 77th. Grenadiers -
had an opportunity of distinguishing
himself on this little brilliant
occasion - being warmly engaged
during the whole time of the attack; -
Capt. Spry commanding the 77th. Grenadrs.
took particular notice of George during the action
and spoke of his gallantry in the
most handsome manner. — This is the
first action George was ever in. —

The Army changed Ground and
moved forwards this Evening in
Line - taking up a strong Position
in the Pettah and along the
face of a Hill within 2000 Yards
of the Fort of Columbo. — The
Army lay on their Arms all this
Night, expecting to be again attacked
by the Enemy at Day-break - but
he did not think proper to molest us.

Feby. 13. Saturday. — The Army changed
Ground again this Evening a little
to the Left, in order to take up a still
stronger Position before Columbo
previous to our Breaking Ground
and commencing making our approaches.

Feby. 14. Sunday ! — The Guns and Stores
for the Siege were landed in the
course of this day. —

Major Agnew the Adjt. Genl.
was sent in to Columbo with a
Flag of Truce this day at 2. P.M.
to summon the Governor to surrender
the Fort to the British Arms - or
take the consequence. — At
6. P.M. Major Agnew returned
to Camp, with a request from the
Dutch Governor, Mr. Van Angelbeck,[sic]
that a Cessation of Hostilities should
take place for 24 Hours - which
was granted by Colonel Stuart. —

Feby. 15. Monday ! — The Cessation of Hostilities
still continues - and we understand
that Articles of Capitulation are
drawing - and that the Enemy
has agreed to surrender the Fort
tomorrow morning. —

Feby. 16. Tuesday ! — At Day-break
this morning it was announced
to the Army that Govr. Van Angelbeck [sic]
has agreed to surrender the Town
and Fortress of Columbo - with all
its Dependencies on the Island
of Ceylon - by Capitulation -
which was signed and executed
by both Parties late last Night.

The British Troops are to take
Possession of the Gates of the Fortress
of Columbo this morning at Ten
OClock; the Dutch Troops marching
out at the same time with the Honors
of War - and laying down their Arms
on the Glacis - and to be considered
Prisoners of War. —

At 10,O'Clock this morning
The Flank Battalion marched from
Camp and took Possession of the
Gates of Columbo. — At the same
time 3 Companies of the 73d. -
3 Companies of the 77th. Regt. (under my
command), and the 7th. Battn. Madras
Nat: Infy. (commanded by Capt. Bowser),
were directed to march from Camp
under the orders of Capt. Whitelocke,
to the Glacis - and there receive
and see the Dutch Garrison
lay down their Arms. — The
Dutch Troops marched our accordingly
between 10 and 11,O'Clock - but in
a most disorderly tumultuous manner,
almost all of them being very much
intoxicated - and very abusive and
insolent to their officers - who were
very much ashamed of the noisy and
very unruly conduct of their men. —

We got them however at length
drawn up in Line on the Glacis,
where they Piled up their Arms,
and were then all marched back
into the Fort, under strong Guards,
as Prisoners of War. —

The Dutch Garrison who have
thus quietly surrendered, consisted
of 3000 Fighting Men - European and
Native Troops - and there were
about 1200 of the former description.
By the Articles of Capitulation the
Dutch Troops are all to be sent to
Batavia in the Island of Java (- the
Seat of the Supreme and Govt. General
of the Dutch in India -) as soon as
convenient. — Such of the Malay and
other Native Troops, as chuse [sic] to take
Service with us, are to be allowed to do
so, by an Article in the Capitulation.

This is a most important
and valuable Capture and acquisition
to not only the East India Company
in a commercial point of view - but
also to the British Nation at large
in a Political one, in as far as it
contains the only good Harbour for
our Navy on this side of India - and
the French being prevented from
Possessing themselves of this valuable
Island. — There are immense
quantities of Cinnamon, Pepper,
Arrack, and various other goods
and Merchandise, belonging to the
Dutch Company, found in Columbo;
the Guns, Ordnance and Naval
Stores, are also of very great value;
so that there is good reason to hope
the Captors will share very
handsomely indeed in Prize Money
in this occasion. —

Feby. 17. Wednesday. — I continued on Duty
on the Glacis, in charge of the Arms
of the Dutch Garrison until 4. P.M.
this afternoon - when I was Relieved.

The 73d. & 77th. Regt. Encamped this
afternoon on the Glacis - close to
the Fort - and the Officers were
quartered in Houses in the Pettah.

I got a very good one for myself
and our mess - which consists of
my Brother George Jarvis - Lieuts.
Shaw and Mc.Kenzie - and Lieut.
Charles Gordon of the 76th. Regt. — We
have all along continued to mess
together since we landed at Negombo. —

I wrote this Evening - via Madras - to
my dearest Jane to give her the happy
tidings of the fall of Columbo. —

Feby. 18. Thursday ! — I received Letters
this morning from Major Auchmuty
the Kings Adjt. Genl. at Calcutta,
informing me that the Comr. in Chief
Sir Robt. Abercromby had lately
been kindly pleased to appoint
my Nephew Murdoch Maclaine,
and my Cousin Hector Macquarie,
to Ensignancies in the 73d. Regiment
immediately in this Country - which
I shall do accordingly. —

At 2. P.M. I was sent for by
Colonel Stuart to come to speak
to him at his Quarters in the
Fort, where he had removed yesterday.

Upon my waiting on him, he was
pleased to say - that - from the very
high character he had heard of me
from Lt. Col: Petrie and others, he
was desirous to entrust me with
the Command of a Detachment that
was to be sent off next Day to take
Possession of the Town and Fortress
of Point de Galle - and the Dependencies
thereunto belonging in that District,
between 80 and 90 miles to the Southward
of Columbo. — That as there were
Public Property of great value in the
Stores and Arsenals at Point de Galle,
he wished to send an officer of Capacity
and experience there to take Possession
of that important Place - and that
he therefore had selected me for
this Service if it was perfectly
acceptable and agreeable to me to go. —
I thanked Colonel Stuart for the
very high flattering opinion he
was pleased to entertain of me, as well
as for the high honor he did me in
Selecting me for so important an
Service - assuring him that I was
proud and happy to acquiesce in his
wishes - and that I was ready at a
moment's notice to receive his
orders and commands for this or
any other Service. — He told me
my Detachment would consist of a
Party of European Artillery and
the 9th. Battn. of Madras Sepoys,
which would be ordered immediately
to be ready to march tomorrow afternoon,
and that he would have my Instructions
ready for me at 2,O'Clock tomorrow,
when he desired me to call for
them. — I then took my leave
and returned Home to my quarters
to prepare - and make the necessary
arrangements for my departure
tomorrow. — The Service on Ceylon
being now terminated - at least all
actual Service being at an end,
my much beloved and esteemed Broyr.
in law Lieut. Jarvis has determined
on joining his own Regt. at Trichinopoly
immediately - and for that purpose
takes his leave of us in a couple of
days more; he does so however
with infinite regret, being much
attached to the 77th. Regt. from the
very great attention and kindness he
has all along experienced from all the
officers both on this and former Service.

Dr. Anderson, Capt. Whitelocke, and
some other friends dined with our mess today.

Feby. 19. Friday ! — I wrote Letters early
this morning to my dearest Jane,
via Madras, informing her, of my
going to take Possession of Point
de Galle. — At 2. P.M. I waited
on Colonel Stuart and received
my Instructions from in regard to my
Command and the arrangements
he wishes me to make on taking
Possession of the Dutch Town and
Fortress of Point de Galle. — The
Adjutant General informed me
that my Detachment would be ready
Paraded for me at 3,O'Clock on
the Esplanade near the South
Gate of the Fort. — After getting
my Instructions and taking Leave
of Colonel Stuart - and my good friend
Lt. Col: Petrie, I returned Home to
my Quarters and took an early
hasty Dinner with my messmates,
who were so good as to order Dinner
at 1/2 past 2. on account of my going
away. — At 3,O'Clock I took leave
of my dear Brother George Jarvis, and
the rest of my friends of the mess - and
set out to join my Detachment. —

I found the Detachment paraded
near the South Gate. — It consisted
of 30 Men of the Madras Artillery
Commanded by Lieut. Quayle of the
Royal Artillery, and 7 Companies of
the 9th. Battn. of Madras Nat: Infy.
Commanded by Lieut. Mc.Cully;
the Commandant Capt. Bannerman
being obliged to remain behind Sick at
Columbo; and the other 3 Companies
of the Battn. had been detached two
days before - under Lieuts. O'Reilly,
Harris, and Hazard, to take possession
of some small Forts on the Coast
near Point de Galle; with directions
to put themselves under my orders,
and report their Proceedings to me,
on my arrival at Point de Galle,
or as I passed their respective Posts.

At 1/2 past 3. P.M I marched
off my Detachment - and after a long
fatiguing march of 18 miles arrive
at the Panitura River - which we
cross in Boats - and halt on the
other side of it at the Village of Panitura;
where we got very good Quarters - but
did not get into them until 10,O'Clock at Night.

Feby. 20. Saturday. — March from Panitura
at Day-break - and arrive at 9. a.m.
at the beautiful River of Calitura;
cross it in Boats to the Village and
Fort of that name: distance from our
last Quarters 10 miles. — Halted here
to rest the Detachment during the
heat of the Day. — I found Lieut. Hazard
of the 9th. Battn. here, who had taken
Possession of the Fort, and to whom I gave
the necessary orders and Instructions
for his guidance. — March on again
at Sunset from Calitura - and
arrive at 11,O'Clock at Night at the
large Village of Béntotté - on the
South side of a large River of that
name - and which we cross in Boats -
distance 9 miles from last stage;
here we halt all Night.

Feby. 21. Sunday. — March from Béntotté
at 8. a.m.; arrive at Coscottah
at 11. — Halt and dine there. — At
5. P.M. march on again - and
reach the large Village of Amblangoddé
at 9,O'Clock at Night - where we
halt and get into very good Quarters;
Our march today is 18 miles. —

Feby. 22. Monday. — March at 5. a.m.
from Amblangoddé, and reach
the Village of Hycottee at 9 OClock,
distance 10 miles. — Here we
halt and Breakfast. — March
on again at 11. a.m. and arrive at
the beautiful little Village of
Genderé at 4. OClock P.M.
having the River of the same
name - which runs close to the Village
in Boats; distance from our last
stage 11 miles; - So that we have
marched 21 Miles today. —

Being now arrived within 4 miles
of the Town and Fortress of Point de Galle,
I wrote a Letter to the Dutch Commander
or Governor, announcing my arrival
at Genderé in command of a British
Detachment of Troops for the purpose
of taking Possession of Galle in the
name of His Britannic Majesty
agreeably to the articles of Capitulation
signed by the British and Dutch
Commanders at Columbo. — With this
Letter from myself - and one also
from Governor Van Angelbeck - I sent
my Dutch Interpreter Serjt. Mc.Kenzie
of the 77th. Regt. (whom I got leave to
bring with me as he spoke and wrote
both Dutch and French remarkably
well), this Evening at 6,O'Clock
to Mr. Fretz the Commandeur
of Galle; to whom I have intimated
my intention of marching in to take
Possession of the Fort tomorrow at
12,O'Clock, and requesting that he
will be pleased to make the necessary
arrangements for delivering it up
at that time. —

Serjt. Mc.Kenzie returned
from the Fort at 10,O'Clock at
Night, with a very polite Letter
from Governor Fretz - thanking me
for my polite attention, and saying that
he would be ready to deliver up to me the
Fortress and Town of Point de Galle
at 12,O'Clock tomorrow - or earlier
if I wish it, as every preparation
was already made for that purpose. —

Feby. 23. Tuesday ! — Lieut. Harris of the
9th. Madras Battn. joined me at Genderé
this morning with his Company. —

At 10.A.M. I marched with the
detachment from Genderé for Point
de Galle. — About halfway thither
I was met by two Gentlemen in a Carriage
belonging to Govr. Fretz - who announced
themselves as two of the Members of
Council of the Government of Galle,
and that they were sent by the Govr.
to conduct me in his Carriage into
the Fort, where he and the rest
of the Members of Council were ready
to receive me at the Government House.
I accompanied these two Gentlemen
accordingly into Galle in the Governor's
Carriage; - leaving orders
with Lieut. Harris, the next senior
officer, to follow me with the Detachmt.
without hurrying the men on the
march - and to halt as soon as he
came within a couple of Hundred
Yards of the Gates of the Fort till he
should receive further orders
from me. — I arrived at the Government
House in the Fort at 1/2 past 11. a.m.
and was there received by Governor
Fretz, all the Members of Council,
and the Heads of Offices Military & Civil of the Dutch
administration, and principal officers
and other Gentlemen belonging to
this Settlement. — These Gentlemen
were all individually introduced by
the Governor to me, commencing
with the Members of Council and the
Commanding Officer of the Troops.

The Governor then came up to me
and presented me, in a most solemn
and formal manner, on a large
Silver Salver, with the Keys
of the different Gates of the Garrison;
making a short, but very appropriate
Speech on the occasion: - in doing
which, however, he was very much
affected and shed Tears - as did also
several of the Gentlemen around him.

I was very much moved at this scene,
and wished it over as soon as possible
since its being farther prolonged would
only add to their distress. — I therefore
made a short reply to the Governor,
assuring him, that I was most
sincerely disposed, as well from
motives of Duty as inclination,
to make his own particular Situation
and that of all the Members of
Council and other Gentlemen of
the Settlement of Point de Galle
as easy and comfortable as possible,
and that they might rely on their
wishes being attended to in every
respect as far as was consistent
with my Duty while I continued
in command of Galle. —

The Governor thanked me in his
own and the name of the whole. —

Wine and Cake was then
carried round - and Healths
were drank. — The Governor
invited me and the officers of my
Detachment to dine with him at
4,O'Clock, inviting all the Gentlemen
now present at the same time
to meet us. — Mr. Fretz - said
the Government House was ready
for my accommodation and reception
immediately, as is usual on such
occasions, and that he would leave
it with his Family in the morning;
but I begged he would not think of
doing so - and that I must insist
on his remaining in it with his
whole Family as long as I continued
in the command of Galle; as a Couple
of Rooms of it were quite enough
for me - and full as much as I had
occasion for - the House being very
large and quite sufficient for both
our accommodation. — Mr. Fretz
appeared very sensibly touched
with this - saying he esteemed
himself and his Family most
highly and gratefully obliged to me,
as it was a favor and condescension
they very little expected. —

At 1/2 past 12,O'Clock the
meeting at the Government House
broke up, and I took my leave
to march in the Detachment. —

I found it halted as directed
at South East Gate of the Fort,
and marched it in directly,
with Drums beating and Colours
flying, through that Gate to
the Grand Parade in the middle
of the Fort - where all the Dutch
Troops were assembled under arms
ready to receive us with their
Commanding Officer Colonel
——- [blank] at their head. — As soon as
I had formed the British Detachment
fronting them, the Dutch Troops
Presented arms and saluted us, which
was returned by us. — The Dutch
Guards at the Gates and Batteries
and over the Magazines, Arsenals
and different Public Warehouses
and Stores within the Fort, were
then immediately relieved, and
replaced by an equal number
of British Troops. — As soon as the
Guards were relieved, and the Dutch
troops had joined the Main Body
on the Grand Parade, the whole of
them - by word of command from
their own Commander Col: ——- [blank]
grounded their Arms and surrendered
themselves Prisoners of War, to the
number of 650 Fighting men. — They
were in the mean time allowed
to remain in their former Barracks
under proper Guards until there
is an opportunity of sending them to
Madras - from which they are all
to be sent to Batavia. —

On the British Detachment's
marching in and arrival on the
Parade the Dutch Flag was
struck - and the British one
immediately hoisted; - and as
soon as the Dutch Guards were
relieved, and that the whole had
laid down their arms, on a concerted
signal being given for that purpose,
Lieut. Quayle fired a Royal
Salute of 21 Guns from the Guns
on the Works, in honor of the
occasion of the Town and Fortress
of Point de Galle being taken
Possession of in the name of His
Britannic Majesty. — This being
done the British Detachment
were marched to the Barracks
allotted for them - and orders given
for a double allowance of Arrack
being given to them for this day
to drink His Majesty's Health,
whilst the officers accompanied
me to dine with Governor Fretz. —

At 3. P.M I accompanied the
officers of my Detachment to the
Government House, and having
introduced them all to Mr. Fretz,
I retired to my Room to write a
short Dispatch to Colonel Stuart,
to inform him of my having
taken Possession of the Town
and Fortress of Galle this day
at 1/2 past 12,O'Clock. — I also
gave Lieut. Harris written
Instructions and orders for his
guidance in regard to the Command
I have appointed him to at the Fort and
District of Matura, about Twenty
miles to the Southward of Galle,
whither he proceeds this Evening
to relieve Lieut. OReilly-; who, as
Eldest Lieutenant, is ordered up to join
the 9th. Battn. and to command it during
Capt. Bannerman's absence. —

Having dispatched my Letter by
Express to Colonel Stuart - and given
Lieut. Harris his final orders to
march at 1/2 past 5,O'Clock this Evening
with his Company for Matura, I returned
to the Great Hall or Dining Room, where
I found Mr. Fretz and his Company
assembled for Dinner - there being
about Sixty Gentlemen present. —

We sat down at 1/2 past 4,O'Clock to a
most excellent and plentiful Dinner;
we sat at Table exactly an hour
having got up and retired to drink
Coffee in another Room at 1/2 past 5. —

There was however plenty of Wine
drank during the hour we
remained at the dinner Table,
the Dutch Gentlemen Hobber-nobbing
very frequently - and drinking a
great deal of Wine at Dinner. —

After drinking Coffee the
Party broke up, and I took an
short ride in to the Country along
with the Governor in an open
Carriage. — On our Return
to the Fort, I took a walk along
the Ramparts, and visited the
different Guards - and also the
Barracks where the Prisoners
of War, and my own Detachment,
are lodged, giving the necessary
orders to the officers on Duty to
send frequent Patroles [sic] through the
different parts of the Town during the
Night to preserve order and tranquillity. [sic]

I supped also by particular invitation
with Mr. Fretz - at1/2 past 9,O'Clock,
and he then introduced me to all
his Family - which consisted of one
son and four Daughters - two of whom
were married. — Mr. Fretz is a
widower - his wife being dead some
years. — His son is quite a Boy,
but his three eldest Daughters are very
pleasant agreeable Women. —

Mr. Fretz, while at Supper, very
politely asked me if I would do him
and his Family the honor to live with
them and be their Guest during my
short stay at Galle; — and the
Invitation having been given with
so much apparent and real honest
sincerity, I accepted of it without
any hesitation. — We broke up
from Table at 1/2 past 10,O'Clock,
and Mr. Fretz very politely
accompanied me to shew me my
Bed-Room, where a very elegant
Bed had been made up and
prepared for me. — This good old
Gentleman then took his leave of me. —

Feby. 24. Wednesday ! — I got up at Daybreak
and went out to take a walk round
the Ramparts and to visit the
Guards. — I was happy to find, from
the Reports of the officers on duty,
that every thing remained perfectly
quiet in Town during the Night,
there being neither noise nor riot of
any kind. — I attended the Parade
at 7.O'Clock to see the Garrison
mount and file off before me
there. I appointed Lieut. ——- [blank]
to act as Fort Adjutant at Galle
until Colonel Stuart's pleasure shall
be known. — At 8.a.m. I came home
to Breakfast with Mr. Fretz. — As soon
as we had Breakfasted Mr. Fretz and
the different Heads of Offices - or of the
Administrations, (as here called) in
Galle, accompanied me to look at
the different Magazines, Armouries,
Arsenals, and Warehouses, belonging
to the late Dutch Government in this
Fort, and delivered me Inventories
of the Arms, Ammunition, Ordnance
and Military Stores, and the various
kinds of Merchandise they contained.

I took a very particular view of
them all along with Mr. Fretz and
the Dutch Gentlemen that had the
care and charge of these Places.

Lieut. Quayle of the Royal Artillery,
Lieut. Mc.Culley Coms. the 9th. Bn.
of Madras Sepoys, and the Fort
Adjutant accompanied me in
visiting these Public Dêpots. —

After having visited them myself
in this manner, I ordered a Committee
of Officers, of which Lieut. Quayle was
President, to Inspect minutely the
different Magazines, Military Stores
and Arsenals, taking a particular
account of what they contained,
comparing the same with the Inventories
and noting down wherein they differed;
and taking also an account of the
exact number and description of Guns
mounted on the Works. —

In regard to the Cinnamon and other
different species of Merchandise in the Public
Warehouses in Galle, my orders are to
let them remain in charge of the Dutch
Administrators, holding them responsible
for their safety until such time as there
are proper agents appointed by the
British Government to relieve them
from this Trust. — Until then the Keys
of the different Warehouses are to remain
in their custody, with proper Guards placed
over them for their protection. — Thus,
I am happy to say I am free from all
responsibility as to these Warehouses
containing Public Goods and Merchandise,
and have only to send Copies of the
Inventories I have received to Colonel
Stuart agreeably to my Instructions. —

It took me from 9,O'Clock in the
morning till 3,O'Clock in the afternoon
in visiting and Inspecting these
Magazines, Arsenals, and the
different Public Warehouses, and
which contain a great quantity of
most valuable Public Property.

I returned Home at 3,O'Clock,
and wrote to Colonel Stuart an
account of what I had been doing
all this day - promising to send
him tomorrow a correct account
of the Fortress and works of Point
de Galle - together with Returns
of the Ordnance, ammunition,
and Military Stores found therein.

In this present Dispatch I sent
Colonel Stuart Copies of the
Inventories I received from the
Dutch Administrators. —

I wrote Letters of this date to my
beloved Jane, giving her an account
of my Proceedings here - and of my
being now dubbed Governor of Galle ! —

I dined with Mr. Fretz and his
Family at 1/2 past 4.O'Clock - and
after drinking Coffee I rode out
with him in an open Carriage
for about 4 miles into the Country
on the Matura Road - and had a
very pleasant Ride. — Return Home
at 8,O'Clock and spend the Evening in
walking about and conversation. —

Feby. 25. Thursday ! — I rose soon after Day-
break and walked on the Ramparts
till 7,O'Clock, when I went to see
the Guards mount and file off. —

Breakfasted at 8,O'Clock with
Mr. Fretz and his Family. —

I wrote Letters today to both Colonel
Stuart and Major Agnew the Adjt.
General. — I sent the former a very
particular detailed account of the
fortress and Town of Point de Galle,
specifying the extent of both, and
the number of Troops, in my opinion,
that are necessary to Garrison
and defend the Fort of Point de Galle,
in case of being attacked by an
Enemy in a regular way. —

I sent Colonel Stuart at the
same time correct Returns of the
number of Guns & Arms, and quantity of ammt.
ordnance and military stores found
in the Fort, as examined and taken
down by the Committee of officers of
which Lieut. Quayle was President. —

I likewise sent Colonel Stuart a
correct Return of the number and
description of the Dutch Garrison
who surrendered themselves Prisoners
of War at Point de Galle on the
23d. Instant. —

I dined with Mr. Fretz and Family
and rode out with him in the Evening.

Lieut. Quayle and some other officers
of the Detachment dined with us at
the Government House today. — Mr.
Fretz is very polite and attentive
not only to myself but to all my officers.

Feby. 26. Friday. — Nothing Extraordinary. —
I wrote Letters to Lieuts. OReilly
and Harris at Matura, and
ordered the former to come and
join his Battalion as soon as
delivered over charge to Lt. Harris.

Feby. 27. Saturday. — Nothing Extraordinary.
I wrote Letters of this date to
Colonel Stuart and Lt. Col: Petrie.

Feby. 28. Sunday. — Nothing Extraordinary.
I accompanied Mr. Fretz to the
Dutch Church. — I wrote of this
date to my dear Mrs. M., and to my
worthy friends Major Oakes and
Mr. John Forbes at Bombay - Via
Madras. —

Feby. 29. Monday. — Lieut. O'Reilly joined from
Matura this day and took the
Command of the 9th. Battn. of Madras
Native Infantry. — He dined with
us at Mr. Fretz's - where we had a
large Party of Dutch Gentlemen today. —

I wrote to Colonel Stuart today
giving cover to various Returns
called for. — I also wrote by this day's
Post - via Madras - to my dearest Jane,
and to Colonels Balfour and Kerr,
in reply to Letters lately received. —

Mar: 1. Tuesday. — Nothing Extraordinary. —
Mar: 2. Wednesday. — do. — do.
Mar: 3. Thursday. — do. — do.
Mar: 4. Friday. — do. — do.
Mar: 5. Saturday. — do. — do.
Mar: 6. Sunday. — do. — do. —

I went to Church with Mr. Fretz. —

Mar: 7. Monday. — I wrote to my dear Mrs.
M. who I find is now living with
Colonel Kerr's Family at the
Mount. —

I wrote also of this date to
Colonel Stuart and Major Agnew
reporting my Proceedings at Point
de Galle. —

Mar: 8. Tuesday. — Nothing Extraordinary. —
Mar: 9. Wednesday. — do. — do.
Mar: 10. Thursday. — do. — do.
Mar: 11. Friday. — do. — do.
Mar: 12. Saturday. — do. — do.
Mar: 13. Sunday.
— do. — do. —

I went to Church with Mr. Fretz. —
I wrote Letters of this date to my
dearest Jane - and Colonel Balfour,
via Madras. —

Mar: 14. Monday. — Nothing Extraordinary. —
I wrote to Colonel Stuart of this date,
transmitting him sundry Returns,
and reporting to him several new
arrangements I have lately made at
Galle. —

Mar: 15. Tuesday ! — I received Letters this day
from my friend Colonel Kerr at Bombay,
by which I am grieved to find that my
beloved wife has for some time back
been in very delicate health. — This
alarms me very much - and has induced
me to write to Colonel Stuart to
request that I may be relieved from my
command here as soon as the nature
of the Service will admit of it, as,
Domestic Concerns of the utmost
importance requires my going to
Bombay as soon as possible. — I wrote
at same time to my worthy friend
Colonel Petrie explaining to him
more fully my reasons for wishing
to go to Bombay at this particular
period. —

Mar: 16. Wednesday. — Nothing Extraordinary. —

Mar: 17. Thursday ! — I received most pleasing
and very flattering Letters today from
Colonel Stuart, in which he expresses
himself highly pleased with every
part of my conduct during the
period of my Command at Point de
Galle - assuring me that he shall
not fail to mention my name in
the most favorable manner to
the Commander in Chief in India,
as well as to the Government of
Madras, in his Dispatches to them
on the affairs of Ceylon. —

Colonel Stuart has been kindly
pleased to grant me leave to return
to Columbo, as soon as Captain
Bannerman arrives at Galle,
to whom I am to deliver over charge
in the mean time of the Garrison;
but Colonel Stuart informs me
at the same time that he has
appointed Lieut. Colonel Bonniveau
to the permanent command of Point
de Galle, and that that officer is to
set out from Columbo for this place
in a few days. —

I had the pleasure of receiving
very satisfactory Letters from my
friend Lt. Col: Petrie also by this day's Post.
I informed my worthy good old
friend Mr. Fretz this afternoon
that I was under the necessity
of resigning the highly honorable
and pleasant Command of Point
de Galle, which the delicate
state of my beloved wife's health
at present Compelled to quit
much sooner than I either wished
or expected. — Mr. Fretz was very
sensibly affected at this intelligence,
and expressed his extreme and
sincere regret at my going away;
as, he and his Family could never
expect to experience so much kindness
and polite attention from any
succeeding Commanding officer at
Point de Galle. —

Mar: 18. Friday. — I wrote Letters early
this morning to my dear Mrs. M.,
and to my friends Capt. Dunlop,
Capt. Mackenzie, and Capt. Wilson,
to Bombay. — I sent these Letters off for
Columbo by Express to go by the Drake
Cruizer now under dispatch for Bombay.

Capt. Bannerman of the 9th. Battn.
Madras Nat: Infy. arrived this
Evening at Point de Galle from
Columbo, and I delivered him
over charge of the Garrison. —

I introduced Capt. Bannerman to
Mr. Fretz, to whom I begged he
would shew every little attention
in his power and which he promised
me to do. — I supped with Mr.
Fretz and his Family this Night
as usual, and took my leave
of them all, as I was to set out for
Columbo very early next morning.

Mr. Fretz and his Daughters offered
up a thousand prayers for my
health and welfare - and were
much affected at my parting with them. —

Mar: 19. Saturday ! — I set out early this
morning in my Palanquin, and
12 Bearers, for Columbo - and
arrived there on Monday morning
at 10,O'Clock. —

[Mar: 21. Monday.] — I waited directly
on Colonel Stuart who received
me most kindly - and thanked
me in very handsome terms
for what he was pleased to call my
very able and officer-like conduct
and judicious arrangements during
my Command at Point de Galle;
which he had reported in the
manner it deserved to the
Commander in Chief in India
Sir Robt. Abercromby - and also to
Lord Hobart the Governor of Madras.

Colonel Stuart was pleased to add
that he begged I would command his
Services whenever I thought they could
be of any use to me, as he would ever
have great pleasure in giving me
his interest and support on any
occasion when they could be of
real service to me. — He concluded
by saying that he was very ready
and desirous to appoint me to be Town
Major of Columbo - if the appointment
was acceptable to me; but he
feared it would not, as perhaps
my appointment of Major of Brigade
to the King's Troops at Bombay would
interfere with it, and he supposed
I would not wish to relinquish
the latter. — I replied that I was
equally obliged to him for his kind
intentions - but begged to decline
the Town-majorship - since it
certainly would be incompatible
my holding both situations - and
that I did not wish to relinquish the
Brigade Majorship as long as I was
only a Captain in the Army. —
I then took my leave of Colonel
Stuart, and went to call on Lieut.
Colonel Petrie - whom I was
happy to find had been lately appointed
Commandant of Columbo. — After
remaining a short time with Colonel
Petrie I visited my friends of the
77th. - whom I was happy to find all
well, and under orders to return
in a few days once more to their old
Quarters at Calicut on board of
the Helen and Jane Transports,
which are now preparing to receive
them. —

I wrote by this day's Post
to Bombay - via Madras - to my
beloved Jane - telling her that
I hoped to see her now very soon - as
the Regt. was to leave Columbo
in a few days. — I wrote at same
time to my friend Major Oakes. —

I dined today with Colonel
Stuart at Head Quarters. —

Mar: 22. Tuesday ! — The Ship Ewer
sailed this day for Bombay. — Lieut.
Shaw of the 77th. went Passenger on
her - and I wrote by him to my
dear Mrs. M. — I could have
wished to go to Bombay direct by
this opportunity - but it was not
possible to do so, on account of
my accounts as Paymaster being
considerably in arrear - and which
I have now to bring up and close
previous to the Embarkation of the
Regiment for Calicut. — I have
therefore set about them with all
possible diligence - and hope to be
able to close them in a very few
days after making the last Payments.

I dined today with Colonel Petrie,
along with Dr. Anderson and other 77th. Friends. —

Mar: 23. Wednesday. — I wrote by this day's
Post - via Madras - to my dear Mrs.
M.; enclosing my Letter to Capt.
Dunlop Depy. Paymr. Genl. King's
Troops at Bombay, to whom I wrote
on business. — I dined today with
Capt. Whitelocke and a number of 77th.
friends. —

Mar: 24. Thursday ! — I am very busy settling
and closing my accounts as Paymaster,
with the Regiment - for King's Pay
to 24th. April - and Company's Allowances
up to 31st. Instant - the Right
of the Regt. being ordered to Embark
tomorrow. —

Mar: 25. Friday ! — The Right Wing of the
77th. Regt. - under the command of
Capt. Whitelocke - Embarked
this afternoon at 3,O'Clock on board
the Helen Capt. Seton. — I paid and
settled accounts with the officers
and men of the Right Wing before
they embarked. —

I dined at Col: Petrie's along with
Capt. Whitelocke - Dr. Anderson -
and several other officers of the 77th.
Right Wing, after the men had
Embarked. — I wrote Letters by
Capt. Seton to my dear Mrs. M. - and
also to Colonel Balfour and other
friends at Bombay. — The Helen
sailed about 7 OClock in the
Evening for Calicut. —

In consequence of Capt. Gray of the
77th. having been lately appointed one
of the Prize Agents for Columbo,
and being therefore obliged to
remain behind at Columbo to settle
the Prize accounts, the command
of the Left Wing of the 77th. Regiment
now devolves on me, as the next Senior
Captain to him in that Wing. —

Mar: 26. Saturday. — I Paid and settled the
accounts of the Left Wing of the
77th. this day - and they are now
ready for Embarkation. —

Mar: 27. Sunday. — The Ardazeer sailed
this day for Calicut - and Bombay;
I wrote by her to my dear Mrs. M. —

Mar: 28. Monday. — I took a long walk early
this morning through the Town of Columbo
and along the Ramparts of the Forts to
examine and look at the Works and
noble fine Guns mounted on them. —
men belonging to the 7th. Battn. Madras
Native Infantry, Commanded by
Capt. Bowzer, executed this day
at Noon for Mutiny against their
Officers. — The whole of the Troops
were under arms on the occasion
drawn up in 3 sides of a Square
on the Exercising Ground near
the Fort. — I commanded the Left
of the 77th. Regt. on this awful
occasion. — Lt. Col: Petrie, as the
Commandant of the Garrison, commanded
the whole of the Troops under Arms. —

I dined today with Colonel Petrie,
who had a large Party at Dinner. —

Mar: 30. Wednesday ! — The Jane Transport
commanded by Capt. Stewart, having
been reported ready to receive the
Troops, the Left Wing of the 77th. Regt.
under my command Embarked on board
of her at 4,O'Clock this afternoon. —

After having seen all the officers
and men on board, I came on shore
again at 5,O'Clock to dine with Colonel
Stuart by invitation; the Tide and
Land Wind not permitting us to sail
till between 8 and 9,O'Clock at Night. — I found a large Company assembled to dine
with Colonel Stuart, who was particularly
attentive to me at Dinner - and once
more renewed his offer of Service to
me whenever required. — As soon as
we had broke up from Table at Colonel
Stuart's, and I had taken my leave
of him, I called on my good worthy
friend Lieut. Colonel Petrie, who had
Captain Grant and several other
officers of the Left Wing of the 77th. to
dine with him. — I sat with him
for near an Hour - and at half
past 8,O'Clock, we took our
leave of our much esteemed and
beloved commanding officer and
embarked on board the Jane;
we were all very sensibly affected
at parting with this most respectable
and amiable man, more especially
as we have little chance of ever
serving under him again - the
accounts of his not being confirmed
as our Major having proved but
too true. —

The wind and Tide
answering, we weighed anchor
and sailed from Columbo Roads
at Nine OClock at Night. —

Apl. 14. Thursday ! — We anchored this
Evening in Calicut Roads, after
a very tedious Passage from Columbo,
having experienced contrary winds
and very boisterous weather off Cape
Comorin for four days. — It being
too late in the Evening to land the
Troops after we came to anchor, we
all remained on board this Night. —

Apl. 15. Friday ! — The Left Wing of the 77th.
Regt. disembarked from the Jane at
Calicut at Day-break this morning,
and I marched with it directly up to
Cantonments, where I arrived at Nine
O'Clock - and having reported my
arrival to Capt. Whitelocke, I dismissed
the officers and men, and sent them
to their Quarters. — I went and Breakfasted
with my dear good friend Doctor
Anderson, whom I found waiting for
me - and settled all my plans
with him respecting my proceeding
directly to Bombay on the Jane - which
sails this Evening for that place. —

My friend Anderson has once more
kindly undertaken to take charge
of and settle my Paymaster Accounts
for me during my absence from
the Regiment - which I trust and
hope will not exceed a month or
six weeks at most; it being my
full intention to return again to
Calicut with my beloved wife
by the very first good conveyance
that offers from Bombay for any
part of the Coast after my arrival,
providing my dearest Jane's health
will admit of it. — My friend Anderson
highly approves of my plan, and has
of his own accord offered to get our
House at Staffa Lodge newly
Cadjanned and put in compleat [sic]
repair against Rains for my
dearest Jane's accommodation before
she comes down from Bombay. —

After having delivered over all
my books and Papers to Doctor Anderson
and made all my arrangements with
him for paying the Regiment during
my absence, I waited on Capt. Whitelocke
to announce to him my intentions
and wishes - and to obtain his permission
to sail for Bombay this Evening on the
Jane. — He immediately acquiesced in
my request - expressing his earnest hope
to see Mrs. Mc.Quarie and myself again
at Calicut before the setting in of the Rains.
I took an early dinner with my
friend Anderson, and set out at
3,O'Clock from Cantonments for
Calicut; having previously given
orders to my Servants at Staffa
Lodge to put the House and
Garden in the best possible order
against the return of their mistress,
and directing them to receive
Doctor Andersons orders and
Instructions respecting Cadjanning
and repairing the Dwelling House
and Offices. —

About half way
on the Road from Cantonments
to the Town of Calicut, I met
with a man with Letters for me
from my beloved Jane of a late
date, and which came this forenoon
by the Mail Boat from Bombay. —

I sat down on the Road and read
these dear Letters with a joy and
real delight that cannot possibly
be expressed. — My felicity was so
great that I could hardly believe
myself awake. — For besides my
Angel telling me that her Health
was lately much improved by her
living in the Country - she informed
me - to my inexpressible joy - that
she had every reason to believe -
she was Pregnant! - and that
she would soon make me a happy -
happy Father! — I believe I read
these Letters over and over at
least twenty times - almost,
devouring them with Kisses! —

MACQUARIE, Lachlan Journal No. 3
[29 December 1794 - 27 September 1799]
Original held in Mitchell Library, Sydney.
ML Ref: A769 [CY Reel 299].

Manuscript Transcripts
Transcript prepared by Robin Walsh
Macquarie University Library, Sydney, Australia. © 2009

Copyright © Macquarie University 2011