FAQs for Macquarie alumni
Frequently Asked Questions
Looking for an answer? Find answers to commonly asked questions for Macquarie University alumni.
Here are our top three frequently asked questions:
How do I join the alumni community?
Once you have graduated from the University. Every Macquarie graduate automatically becomes an alumnus/alumna, and therefore part of our wonderful alumni community. The only thing you need to do is keep your contact details up-to-date by visiting My Profile.
Why should I keep in touch?
Alumni connect with fellow graduates for personal and professional purposes. The Alumni Office encourages Macquarie University graduates to socialise and collaborate with one another.
As a Macquarie University graduate, you are entitled to many benefits including, but not limited to:
- Access to Career Hub and lifelong career assistance with the Career and Employment Service
- Publications such as the Sirius magazine and regular Macquarie Matters alumni e-magazines
- Invitations to events hosted by the Bond University, the Alumni Office and Alumni Chapters and Networks around the world
- Connection with Macquarie and your fellow alumni through social media channels
- Discounted membership fees for the Macquarie University Sports and Aquatic Centre
- Study discounts for you
- Free lifetime Macquarie University Library Membership
Can I still use the Library?
Macquarie University alumni are entitled to free lifetime membership of Macquarie University Library, including borrowing privileges and special access to online databases and ebooks. See the alumni benefits page for more information.
How can I get more involved?
How can I subscribe to alumni publications?
Visit the Alumni Web Community and check your details to see that we have your correct email address and postal address. If your details are correct and you are not receiving regular information from our Alumni team, send an email to us email@example.com.
How can I update my preferences and interests?
- alumni networking events or alumni volunteer opportunities, as well as Sirius Magazine and Macquarie Matters e-magazine
- university news on particular topics, such as arts, economics, law or technology.
Can I have access to my student email account after I graduate?
If you were studying at Macquarie University from mid-2007 onwards – when we migrated to the Gmail platform – you will have full access to your student email account (in the format firstname.lastname@example.org).
Follow these instructions to forward student emails to a personal account.
Older internally hosted email accounts (e.g. @laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au) no longer exist.
How do I reset my password for my student email?
The IT Service Desk can assist with resetting your password for student email.
The quickest and simplest way to retrieve your password is through the phone at +61 2 9850 4357, as they will be able to explain step-by-step instructions. Otherwise, please email to email@example.com.
You can find more information on resetting your password here.
Will I have access to iLearn after I graduate?
You can use Macquarie's iLearn up until your graduation date but you will not have access after you graduate from Macquarie University. If you wanted to save your lecture notes, it is advised to do so promptly after your completion.
How do I get my Alumni Campus Card?
You will need to fill out the alumni library application found on the alumni benefits page.
We do not mail out alumni campus cards for security reasons. You must collect your card in person from Student Connect 18 Wally's Walk, Level 2 Building C7A MUSE (Monday to Friday 8.30 am–5.30 pm).
Why aren't I receiving alumni emails?
If you are not receiving communications from us, then you need to update your details in the Alumni Web Community.
How can I contact my friends from Macquarie University?
Due to privacy restrictions, the University cannot give out your friend's contact details. But we can contact a friend on your behalf. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
Alumni Login and Registration
How do I register as an alumni?
You automatically joined our global alumni community when you graduated from Macquarie.
But we need you to sign up in the Alumni Web Community (AWC) – an exclusive space for Macquarie graduates – so you can stay connected with us, update your details and let us know your preferences.
If you have already signed up, log in with your registered details (email username and password).
First-time users can register for a new account, using your name at graduation, student ID number and date of birth.
Please note: your Alumni Web Community (AWC) account is different from your alumni OneID account which is created as part of your Macquarie University Library alumni membership.
How can I recover my Alumni Web Community email login?
If you have forgotten either your username or password, email email@example.com with your name at graduation, date of birth, degree/s and graduation year/s.
Why can't I find my name in the Account Lookup for the Alumni Web Community?
We create your alumni profile in the Alumni Web Community after you graduate. This means you will not find your name listed until after graduation.
Check that you are using your name at the time of graduation. You will also need your date of birth and student ID number.
If a problem stills exists, send an email to us firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I update my contact information?
Change your email address, home address or employment details in the 'Update my details' section of the Alumni Web Community. Click on the red edit button to update your details.
Or send us your details and we will update your profile.
Phone: 1800 673 662
Post: Alumni Relations, Level 2 BD Building, 4 Research Park Drive, Macquarie University NSW 2109
How can I find my student ID number?
Email email@example.com with your name at graduation, date of birth, degree/s and graduation year/s.
Academic Records and Degree Verification
How do I obtain my academic transcripts?
You can request an official academic transcript from Macquarie University for a fee.
An official academic transcript includes enrolment details, units, results, credit points, course completion and/or conferral of award details, as well as all fails and withdrawals. Official academic transcripts can only be obtained as hard copies.
If your request is urgent, please fill out the urgent transcript request form to pick it up in person or you can authorise someone else to act on your behalf.
All requests are managed by Student Connect (Monday to Friday 8.30 am–5.30 pm), not the Alumni Relations office.
Current students can generate a free unofficial transcript via eStudent.
How do I obtain my Testamur?
At your graduation ceremony you will receive your testamur, and two copies of your academic transcript. AQF compliant awards also receive a copy of the Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS).
If you need a replacement Testamur, you will need to complete a Replacement Testamur Request Form and pay the fee on the Graduation Documents page.
All requests are managed by Student Connect (Monday to Friday 8.30 am–5.30 pm), not the Alumni team.
How do I find the official shorthand name of my degree?
Names and abbreviations for all awards (certificates, degrees and diplomas) are listed by year in the Macquarie University Handbook archive.
- Click on the year you first began your studies at Macquarie to locate your degree.
- Search for your degree and open the course entry
- You will find the shorthand name in brackets under ‘Award’.
- Then add the year of your graduation ceremony in brackets.
For example, if you enrolled into a Bachelor of Applied Finance with the degree of Bachelor of Actuarial Studies in 2010, completed your studies in 2013, but graduated in April 2014, then your official shorthand name will be BAppFinBActStud (2014).
How do I sign off official documents?
Contact Student Connect (Monday to Friday 8.30 am–5.30 pm) for help.
How can I confirm my employee is a graduate of Macquarie University?
Use the Macquarie University Graduate Register to verify academic qualifications conferred by the University. You will need to know the person's name at the time of graduation.
If your search does not return a result, please check that the details have been entered correctly.
If there is still no result, you may wish to email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading Degree Verification and in the body of your email please advise the graduate's date of birth, details of any name changes and the name of the award you wish to have verified. A signed consent form must also be attached. Most requests take approximately 2 business days to be processed. In instances where we need to access archive material it may take a little longer.
More information on the Graduate Register.
Facebook Archibald Prize 2018 Competition - T&Cs
Instructions on how to enter and other details contained within promotions for this competition form part of the conditions of entry. By entering the competition, entrants agree to abide by these terms and conditions. The terms and conditions of this competition are governed by the laws of the State of New South Wales.
- The competition is being run by Macquarie University (Office of Advancement Unit), Research Park Drive, Macquarie University, 2109 (Macquarie). The Archibald Prize 2018 competition for Macquarie University alumni (the competition) commences at Monday 18 June 2018 at 12 noon AEST and closes at midnight Friday 13 July 2018 at 12 noon AEST.
- To enter the competition, you must post a creative self-portrait on Macquarie University Alumni Facebook page. By entering the competition, you agree that you are a Macquarie University alumni.
- Entrants may submit a maximum of one entry. Macquarie reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant who submits more than one entry. To be eligible for a prize your entry must only include material created by you or material which you have permission to use. By submitting your entry to Macquarie, you grant Macquarie and its licensees and assignees a non-exclusive licence to exercise all rights in your entry including the right to reproduce and communicate your entry to the public in whole or in part and in any media. You agree that your entry may be edited or adapted at any time by Macquarie for legal, editorial or operational reasons.
- A panel of up to three (3) judges will be appointed by the Director of Alumni Relations and Individual Giving, Macquarie University. The panel will decide, in its sole discretion, the winners, based on the creativity of their self-portrait. The Panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Thirty winners will receive double passes to the 2018 Archibald Prize at the Art Gallery of New South Wales. Tickets are valid until 9 September 2018 and not transferrable.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash or an alternative prize. Prizes are not transferrable. Winner will be notified individually via Facebook private message or email by the Alumni Relations team.
- Prize winners will be notified by email or Facebook private message by Monday 30 July 2018 by 5pm AEST. Prize winners will need to update their alumni contact details and provide postal details to receive their tickets. Prize winners are required to abide by any third-party terms and conditions relevant to the prize, as presented.
- Macquarie accepts no responsibility and is not legally liable or responsible for any accident, loss, injury or damage to any individual or property whether direct or indirect, whether in contract, tort, negligence or otherwise arising out of or in connection with the competition or accepting or using the prize, either during or after the competition.
Can't find an answer to your question?
Please contact the Alumni team. We're here to help.
T: 1800 673 662