Lap swimming for your swimming ability
Lap swimming at Macquarie University Sport is offered across our two on-site pools. Please read through the information below to learn about our pool facilities, current news and events, lap swimming availability, lap swimming feeds and charges, our pool rules, which lanes to use for your swimming ability, our ramp lane notice, as well as our walk/run lane notice.
Make sure to check the News and Events section below for any upcoming changes to pool availability
Macquarie University Sport has two pools on-site, both available for lap swimming.
Our 50m Olympic-sized swimming pool has 8-lanes, is heated at 25-degrees year round and is located outdoors, meanwhile our 8-lane 25m pool is heated 31-degrees year round and located indoors.
Before you prepare to enter the water, make sure you've done the following things:
- A wearing appropriate swimwear
- Brought a towel
- Brought your goggles
- Have a change a clothes following your swim
Our pools are monitored by qualified Lifeguards at all times, please seek them out for assistance, guidance and general information.
News and Events:
Lap Swimming Availability:
If you're interested in using either one of our pools for lap swimming, please click through to the following page to view lap swimming availability.
Please be aware that our peak swimming times are Monday – Friday 5.30am – 9.00am, and 3.30pm – 6.30pm; and 7.30am – 12.00pm on the weekends. There may be less space available at these times, but we’ll try to provide a minimum of three available lap lanes at these times.
Our 25m pool is not available for public lap swimming on Saturday and Sunday mornings from 7.30am – 12.00pm due to our highly popular Learn to Swim program. There will be lap lanes available in our 50m pool at this time.
Lap Swimming Fees and Charges:
Access to our pools is an inclusion of membership, however, if you're visiting us casually, make sure you click through to view our fees and charges. All payments are made at the front desk before entering the centre.
Pool Rules and Which Lane to Use:
We ask that you please select a lane that will be best suited to your ability or stroke and to be mindful of other patrons in your chosen lane.
When swimming, keep left at all times; this will allow an even flow within the lane, unless overtaking where you’ll need to move to the right side of the lane.
If you need to pass a swimmer in your lane, make sure you won’t affect other swimmers. Complete any passes before the end flags at each end of the pools and try not to stop or interfere with other swimmers in your lane.
Our detailed pool rules are listed below:
- Please swim on the left hand side of the lane at all times
- Lap lanes are for continuous lap swimming, please use 'recreational' lanes for any other types of activities including water jogging.
- Select a lane based on your ability and the stroke(s) you intend to swim during your visit (slow, medium or fast)
- Please do not swim across lanes, hang onto or sit on the lane ropes
- Please do not stand in the middle of the lane at the end of the pool, this allows room for other swimmers to turn. Stay in corners of lane until ready to go again
- Please be aware of other swimmers around you and allow faster swimmers to pass
- Please do not enter Swim School, Aqua Fitness or Squad Training lanes unless you are a part of the group undertaking those activities
- We have kick-boards, noodles, hand foam bars and pull buoys available for your use. If you need equipment please ask. Do not collect on your own
- No goggles will be handed out for use due to hygiene issues
- If you are not a strong swimmer, consider trying one of our 'Learn to Swim' classes before starting your swimming program
- If you have any concerns or feedback please speak to one of our lifeguards or fill out a feedback form that are located around the Centre.
Please assist us by listening to lifeguards, they are here to make sure all patrons have a safe and enjoyable experience.
Which Lane to Use
When selecting your lane, we ask that you choose one best suited to your ability or stroke. Below is a table that highlights the best lane for you based on your personal ability/stroke.
Laps slower than 60-seconds.
Laps slower than 45-seconds.
Laps faster than 40-seconds (no breaststroke, please)
Ramp Lane Notice and Walk/Run Lane Notice:
Ramp Lane Notice
The ramp lane in the 25m pool is not for recreational swimming and must remain clear at all times to allow swimmers to enter or exit the pool. Lifeguards will be monitoring this area to make sure the area stays clear.
Our pools abide by the 'Keep Watch' policy, which means:
- Children 0 – 5 years and non-swimmers must be within arms reach of a parent/guardian at all times
- Children 6 – 10 years must have constant supervision by a parent/guardian
- Children 11 – 14 years must have a parent/guardian regularly checking up on them.
As a parent/guardian, make sure to bring your swimwear to enter the water with children aged 0 - 5 years or weak swimmers. Lifeguards will ask any unsupervised children to leave the pool and may move weaker swimmers to the indoor pool if required.
Walk/Run Lane Notice
To assist all members with their exercise needs, we’ve allocated a walk/run lane in the 25m pool from Monday to Friday at 9am – 12pm. This will be located in lane five (5) next to the recreational swimming lane.
Keep Watch Policy:
Macquarie University Sport follows and enforces the strict guidelines of Royal Lifesaving NSW 'Keep Watch Policy'.
Both pools at Macquarie University Sport are actively monitored by qualified Royal Lifesaving NSW lifeguards. We ask that you work cooperatively with them to ensure that the Keep Watch Policy, detailed below, is adhered to:
- Children 0 – 5 years and non-swimmers must be within and stay within, arms reach of a parent/guardian at all times
- Children 6 – 10 years must have constant supervision by a parent/guardian, physically close and prepared
- Children 11 – 14 years must have a parent/guardian maintain visual contact with their child, regularly checking up on them.
The safety of our patrons is our priority.
Contact Us About Lap Swimming:
Have a question or query you feel hasn’t been answered? Would you like to know more? Contact us on 9850 7636 or send your enquiry to this page. Need an answer right away? Why not try the LiveChat feature in the bottom right hand corner of this page. We have a representative on standby ready and willing to help!
Content owner: Campus Sport Last updated: 30 Sep 2019 10:33am