Lachlan and Elizabeth Macquarie Room
The Lachlan and Elizabeth Macquarie Room
Situated at the entrance to the Library is the Lachlan and Elizabeth Macquarie Room, the original parlour room from the Macquarie family estate on the Isle of Mull in Scotland.
The room was offered to the University by the owner of Macquarie's former home, Gruline House in 1965. The room was installed at Macquarie University in the original Library building at 18 Wally's Walk, and was officially opened in 1979 by the Governor of NSW, Sir Roden Cutler. In 2011 the room was relocated to its present location in the Library and was again officially opened by the Governor of New South Wales, Her Excellency Marie Bashir AC, CVO.
Image: The official opening by the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Roden Cutler in September 1979.
From left: Emeritus Professor Edwin C. Webb, Vice-Chancellor, Macquarie University; Mr. Robert J. White, Chief General Manager, Bank of NSW; Emeritus Professor P.H. Partridge, Chancellor, Macquarie University; Sir Roden Cutler, Governor of NSW; Sir Vincent Fairfax, director of the Board of the Bank of NSW. Photo: Macquarie University Archives
Other Macquarie artefacts and memorabilia
The Macquarie Chair
The Macquarie Chair is one of a pair made for Lachlan and Elizabeth Macquarie by convicts William Temple and John Webster in 1820. An important example of early colonial furniture, it is 'Gothic revival' in style, made from Australian rosewood and upholstered in kangaroo fur. The chairs returned to Scotland with the Macquaries and were later taken to Canada. The University acquired its chair in 1967 from one of Macquarie's descendants.
While at Macquarie the chair was used by the chancellor for ceremonial purposes, especially at graduation ceremonies until it was deemed too fragile in 2007. The companion chair was acquired by the Powerhouse Museum in 1961.
The Macquarie Dish
This serving platter is a large Staffordshire china meat dish probably made from Derby porcelain (though there is no Potter's mark visible on the base), It is likely from the period 1800-1820. The dish is boldly decorated with a "Japan" pattern (inspired by the decoration on Japanese Imari wares) in underglaze blue and overglaze red/orange with gilt enrichments.
The platter was originally part of a complete dinner service belonging to the Macquaries.
Content owner: Library Last updated: 05 Sep 2019 11:43am