Target: Better Futures
Our University: A Framing of Futures clearly states that we are committed to the principles of sustainability in all that we do.
Our University: A framing of futures (2013)
Committing to sustainability is more than the operational aspects of developing a vibrant and sustainable campus, it’s about making it business-as-usual in organisational culture. To this end, embedding sustainability in all we do is a collective responsibility. Target: Better Futures is designed to help your department work towards that.
There are three accreditation levels associated with Target: Better Futures
- Bronze:Where are we now? Departments undertake an initial assessment to ascertain what is already happening within the department and determine the level of maturity.
- Silver:Where are we going? Departments gain a deeper understanding of sustainability and its relevance to the department’s mission and purpose.
- Gold:How are we going to get there? Assists the move from planning to implementation, where sustainability becomes a part of business-as-usual.
Getting started with Target: Better Futures is simple. Contact Macquarie Sustainability and set up a convenient meeting time. You can also check out the information throughout the website to help get an understanding of what it’s all about.
Read our Getting Started one pager for tips on moving your Department forward.
Why get involved?
There are plenty of reasons to get involved, but here are the best bits:
- Respond to staff concern: The need to be more socially and environmentally responsible and aware is a major concern for staff across campus, yet staff feel unsure how to address sustainability as part of their day-to-day undertakings. Target: Better Futures leverages what your Department is good at, providing guidance for everyone to think and act strategically about sustainability.
- Team building: Participating in the requirements of each of the accreditation levels will bring teams together, heightening engagement and collaboration.
- Sense of accomplishment: Thinking outside the box can be challenging and rewarding. The underlying notion of Target: Better Futures is to leverage the skills, knowledge and expertise of staff to come up with their own pathway to sustainability, relevant to the purpose of their own department.
- Broader benefit: Undertaking the elements of each of the accreditation levels will provide space for staff to think more deeply about the purpose, mission and objectives of the department as a whole.
- Framing of Futures delivery: Within the objectives of Priority 6 of Our University: A Framing of Futures is the acknowledgement that “we adhere firmly to our commitment to the principles of sustainability in all that we do”. Target: Better Futures is the perfect mechanism for your Department to identify how it is accomplishing this.
- World leading practice: To the best of our knowledge, there is no program or approach quite like Target: Better Futures. Getting involved in the program sets you apart, and it sets Macquarie apart, ensuring our place on the global scene.
How much time is involved?
The following is an estimation of time required to complete each accreditation level. The elements can be completed in one sitting, or over a number of weeks, depending on what suits your Department.
- Bronze: ~ 2 hours.
- Silver: 3 hours (2 x 1 hour facilitated workshops + one hour of stakeholder engagement work).
- Gold:~ 2 hours.
What support is available?
The good news is, you don’t have to do this alone. Macquarie Sustainability staff are available every step of the way to facilitate sessions, check progress, or just provide general advice and support. There is also a workbook for each accreditation level, which clearly sets out expectations and elements for completion.
Content owner: Macquarie University Property Last updated: 31 Oct 2019 3:47pm