Equity and Diversity
The Equity and Diversity Unit is an organisational change agency operating on the principles of service, capacity building and engagement of the diverse Macquarie community of staff and students.
What we do
- Work collaboratively with Faculties and Offices to embed principles of inclusion, equity and diversity in university practices.
- Provide advice and assistance on equity and diversity matters and make recommendations for positive change.
- Drive equity and diversity initiatives, programs, awareness raising and educational events for staff and students.
- Develop equity frameworks for Macquarie University such as Disability Action Plan, Multicultural Services and Programs Plan, and Gender Equity Strategy.
- Provide advice on and case manage equity related grievances (discrimination/harassment on the basis of gender, race, sexuality, disability, age, family/carer's responsibilities, political affiliation).
- Develop inclusive policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Monitor and report on the status and progress of equity groups at Macquarie (data analysis and reporting).
Our focus areas
Sexual and gender diversity
Macquarie University supports and celebrates sexual and gender diversity.
Since 2011 Macquarie has ranked highly in the Australian Workplace Equality Index which recognises workplaces supporting the inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. The Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Unit coordinates a strong Ally Network at Macquarie to visibly support gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer students and staff. There are over 180 Allies across the University - gay, straight, older, younger, academic, professional, alumni, new and returning students.
Events are held throughout the year including recognition of IDAHOBIT (International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia). This ensures we have a safe and welcoming campus, where discrimination on the basis of sexual or gender identity is not tolerated, and where any homophobic behaviour is unwelcome.
Macquarie is a vibrant multicultural community made up of staff and students from more than 100 countries, speaking over 50 languages. We celebrate the diversity of culture and language and are committed to making sure everyone has fair opportunity to participate.
Our aim is that all staff and students at Macquarie increase in 'cultural competence' - knowledge, awareness and understanding of cultures, and learn to value and celebrate difference and diversity.
The Equity and Diversity Unit reports on the progress of staff and students from diverse backgrounds in employment and education. We have developed the University's Multicultural Program and Services Plan (in conjunction with the NSW Community Relations Commission) and work with staff and students on a range of initiatives and workshops throughout the year.
Since 2014 Macquarie has been formally supporting the Australian-wide 'Racism. It stops with me' campaign to demonstrate its commitment to anti-racism and building a culturally inclusive community.
People with disability
Macquarie University is committed to fairness in education and employment of people with disability. We are currently working on a new Access and Inclusion plan that will aim to cover six areas:
- University Governance, Planning and Policy
- Learning Teaching and Research
- Access to Information and Communications
- Inclusive Physical Environment
- Employment and Professional Development
- Campus Community
Macquarie is proud to have many family friendly policies and procedures including paid parental leave and flexible work provisions. Macquarie is accredited by the Australian Breastfeeding Association as a Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace.
The Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Unit ensures that gender equity remains high on the University's agenda.