The University collects personal information from you (including digital images) when you are a visitor to the University for a period of time but you are neither enrolled at, nor employed by, the University. For example, if you are granted an honorary, visitor or clinical appointment or if you are studying by agreement with another University but you are not enrolled at Macquarie University. The University collects your information for the purpose of assessing your suitability for your nominated or requested appointment or for your course of study. The University also uses your information for the following purposes:
- issuing you with a campus card, if required;
- informing you about University courses and events;
- attending to day to day administrative matters relating to your status;
- providing you with access to University services such as residential services, online courses, interactive management systems (such as iLearn) and for information technology services such as providing you with an email account;
- providing you with assistance in the event of an emergency; and
- complying with legislative reporting requirements.
You are not required by law to provide us with your personal details for the above purposes, however, if you choose not to provide the information requested, it may not be possible for the University to allow you to access services to which you are entitled or expect to receive.
The information collected may be disclosed to the following types of organisations:
- other educational institutions, if necessary for exchange programmes or overseas study;
- to Macquarie University's controlled entities for the purposes of providing University services to you e.g. U@MQ Ltd and Access Macquarie Ltd;
- contract service providers and consultants (such as banks for the purposes of issuing you with the pre paid facility on the campus card, mailing houses, logistics and IT service providers) engaged by the University to facilitate your access to the University's services and facilities on offer;
- Commonwealth and State government departments and agencies such as the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Centrelink, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and the NSW Ombudsman or their equivalent or replacement entity;
- to courts or tribunals or similar judicial agencies whether under subpoena or by force of law;
- if you are sponsored by a body or person nominated in your application, information which the sponsor reasonably requests in relation to your application;
- student accommodation service providers and landlords for the purposes of sourcing suitable accommodation for you (if required); and
- in the event of a crisis requiring urgent attention, police, medical or hospital personnel, your nominated emergency contact person, or other personnel as is necessary to respond to the emergency.
The University will not otherwise disclose your information without your consent, unless required or authorised by law.
You have a right to access personal information that Macquarie University holds about you, subject to any exceptions in relevant legislation. If you wish to seek access to your personal information or inquire about the handling of your personal information, please contact the University Privacy Officer by email at email@example.com.
This privacy collection notice applies to all methods by which the University collects your personal information, including by electronic or verbal means or in written form.