The University collects personal information about you during the admissions process, including any supplementary information that we request from you and any information provided by you upon re-admission to the University. We collect this information directly from you when you send us your application or correspond with us and indirectly when you apply through the Universities Admissions Centre to study with us.
Where the information collected from you includes health information as defined under the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW), this notice will apply to the collection of that information.
Your personal information is recorded on the University's student database. University staff members responsible for the administration of the admission and enrolment processes access and use your information for the following purposes:
- considering your application for admission to Macquarie University courses;
- assessing your entitlement to Commonwealth assistance under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (Cth) and allocation of a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to you;
- corresponding with you about whether you have been offered a place;
- recording your acceptance of an offer;
- corresponding with you in relation to the admission process;
- informing you about your courses and other aspects of admission and enrolment;
- informing you of the availability of scholarships;
- enabling you to apply for special entry consideration; and
- complying with legislative reporting requirements.
You are not required by law to supply us with your personal details for the above purposes, however, if you choose not to provide the information requested, it may not be possible for the University to consider you for admission or to enrol you.
Your personal information may be disclosed to the following types of organisations:
- external organisations such as former employers, secondary schools, other tertiary education institutions, and tertiary admission centres, where disclosure is necessary to verify your previous qualifications or experience or professional qualifications, in order to ensure the integrity of the selection process;
- to Macquarie University's controlled entities for the purposes of providing University services to you;
- State and Commonwealth Government departments and agencies such as the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, Centrelink, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, the NSW Ombudsman or their equivalent or replacement entity;
- service providers and consultants such as banks, mailing houses, logistics and IT and software service providers whom the University engages to enable your access to the University's services and facilities on offer;
- student accommodation service providers for the purposes of sourcing suitable accommodation for you (if required);
- to government departments and agencies and their appointed third party providers for the purposes of administering University related surveys and for other lawful purposes;
- in the event of a crisis requiring urgent attention, police, medical or hospital personnel, your nominated emergency contact person and other personnel as is necessary to respond to the emergency; and
- IT service providers who may (or use third party hosting providers that may) store data outside Australia or in the 'cloud'. When the University discloses your information to overseas recipients, it takes measures to ensure those recipients treat your information in accordance with applicable privacy legislation.
The University will not otherwise disclose your information without your consent unless required or authorised by law.
You have a right to access personal information that Macquarie University holds about you, subject to any exceptions in relevant legislation. If you wish to seek access to your personal information or inquire about the handling of your personal information, contact the privacy officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This privacy collection notice applies to all methods by which the University collects your personal information including by electronic or verbal means or in written form.