The Vacation Scholarships
- involve cutting-edge research during the summer vacation
- are open to undergraduate physics students in Australia
- have a scholarship of a tax-free stipend of up to $500 per week
- are available in areas of research excellence
- are typically awarded for 5 weeks in Jan – Feb
View a list of our previous Vacation Scholars and the projects they completed.
How to apply
Applications for 2019/2020 are now open.
The following are needed for the application process:
- Complete the online application form.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with
- a covering letter,
- a copy of your academic transcript, and
- your CV.
- Arrange for two academic referees to email references directly to email@example.com.
The deadline for the form and email is 11.59pm Wednesday 9 October 2019, and the deadline for the referees is 11.59pm Wednesday 16 October 2019.
Projects on offer for 2019/2020
|Developing a data pipeline for the MQ Learning and Teaching Spectrograph||Dr Richard McDermid||Astronomy, data software|
|Magnetic trap for quantum sensing applications||Associate Professor James Downes||Mixed quantum and condensed matter|
|Exploring a new observing mode that would double the observing time for all optical telescopes||Dr Lee Spitler||Observational astronomy|
|A fibre feed and telescope frontend for the Echelle spectrograph at the MQ observatory||Dr Christian Schwab||Astronomical instrumentation|
|Spatial coherence of sunlight||Professor David Coutts||Astronomical instrumentation|
|Spectroscopy of levitated nanocrystals||Dr Cyril Laplane||Quantum Physics and Optics|
|Quantum randomization of polarization states using Raman effects in diamond||Professor Rich Mildren||Quantum Photonics|
|Study of galaxies in cosmological simulations||Dr Lee Spitler||Astronomy and Astrophysics|