The Vacation Scholarships
- involve cutting-edge research during the summer vacation
- are open to undergraduate physics students in Australia
- have a scholarship of a tax-free stipend of up to $500 per week
- are available in areas of research excellence
- are typically awarded for 5 weeks in Jan – Feb
View a list of our previous Vacation Scholars and the projects they completed.
How to apply
Applications for 2018/2019 are now open.
The following are needed for the application process:
- Complete the online application form.
- Send an email to email@example.com with
- a covering letter,
- a copy of your academic transcript, and
- your CV.
- Arrange for two academic referees to email references directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for the form and email is 28th September 2018, and the deadline for the referees is 5th October 2018.
Projects on offer for 2018/2019
|Clumpy or smooth? Star formation in the Milky Way||Prof. Richard de Grijs||Astrophysics|
|Flowers in the sky||Prof. Orsola De Marco||Astronomy|
|Spatial coherence of sunlight and moonlight||Prof. David Coutts||Optics & Astronomy|
|Generation of multiple vortices in a non-paraxial beam||Dr Martin Ploschner and Dr Xavier Vidal||Nanophotonics, beam shaping and angular momentum of the light (Experimental)|
|Low temperature spectroscopy of germanium-vacancy centres in highly strained diamond||Dr Lachlan Rogers||Quantum networks; quantum computing; solid state; photoluminescence spectroscopy; diamond|
|Let's see if this works: measuring blood flow with a mobile phone||Dr Annemarie Nadort||Engineering, optics, phone applications, programming|
|Exploring the optical properties of bacteria for forensic science applications||Dr Annemarie Nadort||Optics, microbiology, spectroscopy, (big) data analysis|
|Data Pipeline for the MQ Uni Observatory Spectrograph||Dr Richard McDermid||Astronomy Instrumentation and Data Analysis|
|Assembly and Testing of the New MQ Uni Observatory Spectrograph||Dr Christian Schwab||Astronomy Instrumentation|