The Vacation Scholarships
- involve cutting-edge research during the summer vacation
- are open to undergraduate physics students in Australia
- have a scholarship of a tax-free stipend of up to $500 per week
- are available in areas of research excellence
- are typically awarded for 5 weeks in Jan – Feb
View a list of our previous Vacation Scholars and the projects they completed.
How to apply
Applications for 2019/2020 have now closed. Applications will open in late August 2020 for 2020/2021.
The following are needed for the application process:
- Complete the online application form.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with
- a covering letter,
- a copy of your academic transcript, and
- your CV.
- Arrange for two academic referees to email references directly to email@example.com.
The deadline for the form and email is 11.59pm Wednesday 9 October 2019, and the deadline for the referees is 11.59pm Wednesday 16 October 2019.
Projects awarded in 2019/2020
|Scholarship Awardee||Project||Supervisor||Status |
|Dominic Agius||Magnetic trap for quantum sensing applications||A/Prof James Downes||Undergraduate at University of Sydney|
|James Bainbridge||Quantum randomization of polarization states using Raman effects in diamond||Prof Rich Mildren||Undergraduate at MU|
|Victoria Bashu||Satellites and streams in the halo of the Milky Way||Dr Daniel Zucker||Undergraduate at MU|
|Tara Dunch||Spatial coherence of sunlight||Prof David Coutts||Undergraduate at MU|
|Katherine Kinder||Spectroscopy of levitated nanocrystals||Dr Cyril Laplane||Undergraduate at MU|
|Jack Nibbs||Exploring a new observing mode that would double the observing time for all optical telescopes||Dr Lee Spitler||Undergraduate at MU|
|Laura O'Neill||Magnetic trap for quantum sensing applications||A/Prof James Downes||Undergraduate at UNSW|
|Lauren Taylor||Developing a data pipeline for the MQ Learning and Teaching Spectrograph||Dr Richard McDermid||Undergraduate at UNSW|