Higher Degree Research
Macquarie’s physics and astronomy research is world leading. In the most recent Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) evaluation, our physical sciences research received a rating of 5 out of 5 – ‘outstanding performance well above world standard’, as did our research in the sub-disciplines of astronomical and space sciences, and quantum physics.
As an HDR candidate you will work alongside outstanding researchers on fundamental and applied physics in optics, photonics and lasers; astronomy and astrophysics; or quantum information science.
A range of cutting-edge projects are available, involving work in areas such as:
- building powerful new lasers with pure diamond crystals
- constructing 3D quantum logic circuits using high-intensity femtosecond lasers
- designing new sensors based on levitated quantum mechanical systems
- finding cell populations with enhanced therapeutic value using advanced imaging
- harnessing the angular momentum of light at the quantum level
- studying collisions between planets and dying stars
- using nanoparticles to identify diseases