News and events
News from the Department of Mathematics
Congratulations to our student prize winners at the Faculty of Science and Engineering Awards Ceremony!
We'd like to give a big Congratulations to all our student award recipients who were recognized for their hard work & commitment to their studies throughout 2017, at the annual Faculty of Science and Engineering Awards Ceremony held on 2nd August.
FREDERICK CHONG MATHEMATICS PRIZE
For proficiency in 200-level Mathematics units. Awarded to:
- Hugh Entwistle
For proficiency in 300-level Mathematics units. Awarded to:
- Matthew Timms
GEOMETRY PRIZE (SHARED)
For proficiency in the unit MATH300 Geometry and Topology. Awarded to:
- Roy Truelove
- Charles Hadeed
- Dr Paul Bryan, from the University of Queensland, joined the Department in early January 2018 as a Lecturer in Pure Mathematics.
- Dr Justin Tzou, previously from the University of British Columbia, joined the Department in September 2017 as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Dr Catherine Penington, previously from QUT, joined the Department in early August 2017 as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Dr Christopher Green, previously from QUT, joined the Department in late July 2017 as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Mr Chris Gordon has joined the Department as a Scholarly Teaching Fellow in February 2017.
- Dr Philip Hackney, previously at Osnabruck University in Germany, joined the Department in January 2017 to work on an ARC Discovery Project with members of CoACT.
- Dr Christopher Lustri, previously at the University of Sydney, joined the Department as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics in early November 2016.
- Dr Sophie Calabretto, previously at ETH Zurich, joined the Department as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics in late September 2016.
- Dr John Bourke, previously at Masaryk University in the Czech Republic, joined the Department in September 2016 to work on an ARC Discovery Project with members of CoACT.
- Prof Qingyan Wu, Linyi University PR CHINA (visiting Prof Xuan Duong, Dr Ji Li) - 11 Sept 2017-10 Sept 2018
- Dr Elaheh Delshad, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, IRAN (visiting Dr Hassan Doosti) - 04 Dec 2017-03 Mar 2018
- Prof Mohamed M S Nasser, Qatar University, QATAR (visiting Dr Christopher Green) - 29 Jan 2018-02 Feb 2018
- Prof Helene Frankowska, Centre national de la reserche scientifique France (visiting Prof Vladimir Gaitsgory)
- Dr Gabriel Drummond-Cole, IBS Seoul, S Korea (visit A/Prof Steve Lack)
- Scott Balchin, University of Leicester UK (visiting Dr Richard Garner)
- Mr Karol Szumilo, University of Western Ontario Canada (Visiting Dr Richard Garner)
- Dr Linda Stals, Australian National University (visiting Dr Stuart Hawkins)
- Prof Vivek Borkar, IIT, India (visiting Prof Vladimir Gaitsgroy)
- A/Professor Ilya Shvartsman, Penn State University (visiting Professor Gaitsgory)
- Dr John Power, University of Bath (visiting CoACT)
- Prof Walter Tholen, University of York (visiting CoACT)
- Prof Kazuya Kobayashi, Chuo University Japan (visiting Prof Paul Smith)
- Dr Martin Markl, Institute of Mathematics of the Czech Academy of Sciences (visiting A/Prof Michael Batanin)
- Prof Qui Huy Bui, University of Canterbury (visiting Prof Xuan Thinh Duong)
- Dr David White, Denison University (visiting Associate Professor Michael Batanin)
- Dr Alexei Davydov, Ohio University (visiting CoACT)
- Professor Stephen Garrett, University of Leicester (visiting Professor Jim Denier)
- Dr Dongyong Yang, Xiamen University (visiting Prof Xuan Duong, Dr Ji Li)
- Prof Mahadevan Ganesh, Colorado School of Mines (visiting Dr Stuart Hawkins)
- Dr Eugenia Chen, School of the Art Institute Chicago (visiting A/Prof Steve Lack)