News and events
News from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- NOW OPEN! Expressions of interest are invited for casual teaching positions in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. For more information on the role visit our webpage. Applications close for session 1 positions on 3rd Feb, 2019.
17 Mar 2019A huge congratulations to our colleagues who are part of the Biostatistics Collaboration of Australia (BCA). The BCA has been awarded the 2019 Pr...
17 Dec 2018The department would like to congratulate our recent ARC grant applicants. This is a fantastic achievement and result for the department!...
- Dr Lyndon Koens, from the University of Cambridge England, joined the Department in early October 2018 as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Dr Nicole Mealing joined the Department in early July 2018 as a Lecturer of Statistics
- Dr Paul Bryan, from the University of Queensland, joined the Department in early January 2018 as a Lecturer in Pure Mathematics.
- Dr Justin Tzou, previously from the University of British Columbia, joined the Department in September 2017 as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Dr Catherine Penington, previously from QUT, joined the Department in early August 2017 as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Dr Christopher Green, previously from QUT, joined the Department in late July 2017 as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Mr Chris Gordon has joined the Department as a Scholarly Teaching Fellow in February 2017.
- Dr Philip Hackney, previously at Osnabruck University in Germany, joined the Department in January 2017 to work on an ARC Discovery Project with members of CoACT.
- Dr Christopher Lustri, previously at the University of Sydney, joined the Department as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics in early November 2016.
- Dr Sophie Calabretto, previously at ETH Zurich, joined the Department as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics in late September 2016.
- Dr John Bourke, previously at Masaryk University in the Czech Republic, joined the Department in September 2016 to work on an ARC Discovery Project with members of CoACT.
- Prof Robin Cockett, University of Calgary Canada (visiting A/Prof Steve Lack and the CoACT) - 13 February-12 April 2019
- Prof Kazuya Kobayashi, Chuo University Tokyo Japan (visiting Dr Elena Vynogradova) - 10-17 February 2019
- Prof Qingyan Wu, Linyi University PR CHINA (visiting Prof Xuan Duong, Dr Ji Li)
- Dr Elaheh Delshad, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, IRAN (visiting Dr Hassan Doosti)
- Prof Mohamed M S Nasser, Qatar University, QATAR (visiting Dr Christopher Green)
- Prof Helene Frankowska, Centre national de la reserche scientifique France (visiting Prof Vladimir Gaitsgory)
- Dr Gabriel Drummond-Cole, IBS Seoul, S Korea (visit A/Prof Steve Lack)
- Scott Balchin, University of Leicester UK (visiting Dr Richard Garner)
- Mr Karol Szumilo, University of Western Ontario Canada (Visiting Dr Richard Garner)
- Dr Linda Stals, Australian National University (visiting Dr Stuart Hawkins)
- Prof Vivek Borkar, IIT, India (visiting Prof Vladimir Gaitsgroy)
- A/Professor Ilya Shvartsman, Penn State University (visiting Professor Gaitsgory)
- Dr John Power, University of Bath (visiting CoACT)
- Prof Walter Tholen, University of York (visiting CoACT)
- Prof Kazuya Kobayashi, Chuo University Japan (visiting Prof Paul Smith)
- Dr Martin Markl, Institute of Mathematics of the Czech Academy of Sciences (visiting A/Prof Michael Batanin)
- Prof Qui Huy Bui, University of Canterbury (visiting Prof Xuan Thinh Duong)
- Dr David White, Denison University (visiting Associate Professor Michael Batanin)
- Dr Alexei Davydov, Ohio University (visiting CoACT)
- Professor Stephen Garrett, University of Leicester (visiting Professor Jim Denier)
- Dr Dongyong Yang, Xiamen University (visiting Prof Xuan Duong, Dr Ji Li)
- Prof Mahadevan Ganesh, Colorado School of Mines (visiting Dr Stuart Hawkins)
- Dr Eugenia Chen, School of the Art Institute Chicago (visiting A/Prof Steve Lack)
Events in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
In the lead up to International Women's Day on Friday March 8, we'll be showcasing the inspiring female trailblazers in our department who are pa...
22nd Feb 2019 11:00amAre you thinking about majoring in Statistics? Have you completed Stat 150, 170 or 171?To encourage you further in your studies of Statistics, co