Mark (Scott) Baker
Professor of Proteomics & Biochemistry
Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Mark is the current HUPO President and is a cancer researcher with an international reputation in the fields of proteomics, colorectal cancer biology and the roles of cell-surface membrane protein-protein interactions in cancer spread (metastasis). Mark is active in many aspects around the Human Proteome Project. His work combines molecular cell biology with the latest in mass spectrometry and protein interaction technologies, to better comprehend the role of proteins and signalling pathways disturbed in cancer. This work has led to novel actionable cancer cell-surface therapeutic targets, as well as the development of candidate cancer biomarker diagnostics.
BSc (Hon I), PhD
- Role of uPAR-integrin interactions in switching cancer cell signaling towards metastasis.
- Early stage colorectal cancer advanced mass spectrometric diagnostic assays
- The Human Proteome Project’s “missing proteins”
- Food proteomics: understanding how humans savour olfaction
- Ahmed N, Niu J, Dorahy DJ, Gu X, Andrews S, Meldrum C, Scott RJ, Baker MS, Macreadie IG & Agrez MV. Direct integrin alphavbeta6-ERK binding: implications for tumour growth. Oncogene, 21(9):1370-1380, 2002.
- Saldanha RG, Molloy MP, Bdeir K, Cines DB, Song X, Uitto PM, Weinreb PH, Violette SM, Baker MS. Proteomic Identification of Lynchpin Urokinase Plasminogen Activator Receptor Protein Interactions Associated with Epithelial Cancer Malignancy. J Proteome Res. 2007 6(3): 1016-1028. [IF= 5.113]
- Islam M-DT, Mohamedali A, Garg G, Khan JM, Gorse A-D, Parsons J, Marshall P, Ranganathan S, and Baker MS. Unlocking the puzzling biology of the black Périgord truffle Tuber melanosporum. J Proteome Res. 2013 Nov 6. PMID: 2414793. [IF = 5.1].
- Ahn SB, Mohamedali A, Anand S, Cheruku HR, Birch D, Gopichandran S, Cantor D, Ranganathan S, Inglis DW, Frank R, Agrez M, Nice EC, Baker MS. Characterisation of the interaction between heterodimeric αvβ6 integrin and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (uPAR) using functional proteomics. J Proteome Res. 2014 Dec 5;13(12):5956-64. doi: 10.1021/pr500849x. Epub 2014 Oct 29. [IF = 5.1].
- Mahboob S, Ahn SB, Cheruku HR, Cantor D, Rennel E, Fredriksson S, Edfeldt G, Breen EJ, Khan A, Ranganathan S, Tan S-H, Nice EC, Baker MS. A multiplexed immunoassay for CEA, IL-8 and prolactin discriminates Dukes' stages AD colorectal cancers. Clin Proteomics. 2015 Apr 8;12(1):10. doi: 10.1186/s12014-015-9081-x. PMID: 25987887 [IF=3.8].
- Cantor DI, Cheruku HR, Nice EC & Baker MS. Integrin avβ6 sets the stage for colorectal cancer metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 34 (4); 715-734, 2015. PMID: 26337740. [IF = 7.8].
Baker, MS and Nice, E. Colorectal Cancer Membrane Protein Interactomics: A Major Discriminator of Clinical Outcome. NHMRC Project Grant 1010303, 2011-4 - $621,732.
Inglis DW, Goldys EM, Baker MS, Calander NP, Austin RH, ARC Discovery Project DP110102207, Quest for trace biomarkers in complex media through innovative nanoscale science of fluids, molecules, particles and light. 2011-3 - $900,000.