Professor of Breast Oncology, Discipline Head, Radiology and Director, Australian Lymphoedema Education, Research and Treatment (ALERT) Centre
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
John is a cancer specialist with more than 30 years’ experience in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer. He regularly comments for the media and a media spokesperson for the McGrath Breast Foundation.
After graduating from the University of Sydney, he trained at Westmead Hospital and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute at Harvard University, Boston. He established breast cancer screening in the West of Sydney and Australia’s largest one-stop-shop clinical and diagnostic breast centre at the Westmead Breast Cancer Institute. He was first appointed to Macquarie University in 2011 as the Director of the cancer program and has helped establish many clinical, research and patient support programs related to cancer. He is a lateral thinker, enjoys technology, and lectures about clinical leadership. He is a radiation oncologist at Macquarie University Hospital and the author of several “Taking Control” books, including a recent publication on Male Breast Cancer.
He has published more than 140 research papers and provide consultations to patients from all over Australia and the Asia-Pacific.
He is a regular invitee to public and medical forums and enjoys imparting knowledge to health professionals, patients and their families. In 2015 he gave 30 invited lectures at National and International events.
Learn more about our Lymphoedema Program.
MBBS (Hons), FRANZCR, PhD
- Breast cancer screening and treatment
- Established the Advanced Lymphoedema Assessment Clinic (ALAC) in 2012, which provides a multidisciplinary team approach for surgical options for lymphoedema including liposuction and lymph node transfer surgery. The lymphoedema research program undertakes anatomic, molecular, physical, functional, psychological, imaging, economic, linguistic and surgical research related to lymphoedema. Macquarie University is the only university outside the US participating in the Vanderbilt University early detection clinical trial, contributing the highest number of trial subjects (400) across three sites to the total study cohort of 1,100 women.
- Liposuction for Advanced Lymphedema: A Multidisciplinary Approach for Complete Reduction of Arm and Leg Swelling. Boyages J, Kastanias K, Koelmeyer LA, Winch CJ, Lam TC, Sherman KA, Munnoch DA, Brorson H, Ngo QD, Heydon-White A, Magnussen JS, Mackie H. Annals of Surgical Oncology. June 30 2015.
- Can an Immediate 2-stage Breast Reconstruction Be Performed After Previous Conservative Surgery and Radiotherapy? Lam TC, Hsieh F, Salinas J, Boyages J. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. Aug 10 2015
- Winch, Caleb J; Sherman, Kerry A; Koelmeyer, Louise A; Smith, Katriona M; Mackie, Helen; Boyages, John. Sexual concerns of women diagnosed with breast cancer-related lymphedema. Supportive Care in Cancer, Vol 23, Issue 12 December 2015, Springer Berlin Heidelberg (first published online March 2015)
- Kirsty E. Stuart, Nehmat Houssami, Richard Taylor, Andrew Hayen, John Boyages. Long-Term Outcomes of Ductal Carcinoma in Situ of the Breast: a Systematic Review, Meta-Analysis and Meta-Regression Analysis. BMC Cancer; Volume 15, November 2015
- Peters, Pam; Smith, Adam; Funk, Yasmin; Boyages, John Boyages. Language, Terminology and the Readability of Online Cancer Information. Medical Humanities, published online November 2015
- 2014-2018 “A Randomised Trial Evaluating Bioimpedance Spectroscopy versus Tape Measurement in the Prevention of Lymphoedema following Loco-regional Treatment for Breast Cancer”, Vanderbilt University USA, $1.3 million.
- 2013-2014 “Exploring the social and economic impact of living with lymphoedema”. Macquarie University Enterprise Partnership Scheme, $100,000.