Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
My area of interest is Neurodegenerative Diseases, specifically Parkinson's Disease and other Movement Disorders, and Motor Neurone Disease. I am a general neurologist but am particularly fascinated by the diseases of the human brain that occur as a consequence of neurodegenerative disease. It is only with insight into the biological processes of these diseases that therapeutic control and perhaps cures of these problems will be identified.
BSc(Med), M.B.B.S.(Hons) FRACP PhD(UNSW)
- Genetic susceptibility and determinants of progression of Parkinson's Disease
- Immune mediated inflammation in Parkinson's Disease
- Biomarkers of Neurodegenerative diseases
- Imaging of Parkinson's Disease and Motor Neurone Disease
- Predictors of progression and severity in MND
- Detection of Neurodegenerative Disorders. Inventors; K.L. Double, D. Rowe, M. Gerlach &P. Riederer: Australian PCT patent, PCT/AU01101271
- Biomarkers for Parkinson's Disease. Inventors: Y. Huang, D.B. Rowe, G.M. Halliday. Australian PCT patent, PCT/AU2008/001437
Books, Book Chapters and Journal Articles
- Non-Dopamine Lesions in Parkinson's DIsease. Halliday, G.M., Barker, R.A. and Rowe, D.B. (Editors) Oxford University Press. 2010
- Vucic S, Winhammar JM, Rowe DB, Kiernan MC. Corticomotoneuronal function in asymptomatic SOD-1 mutation carriers. Clin Neurophysiol. 2010 Mar 31.Sutherland GT, Halliday GM, Silburn PA, Mastaglia FL, Rowe DB, Boyle RS, et al. Do polymorphisms in the familial Parkinsonism genes contribute to risk for sporadic Parkinson's disease? Mov Disord. 2009 Apr 30;24(6):833-8.
- Mehta P, Mellick GD, Rowe DB, Halliday GM, Jones MM, Manwaring N, et al. Mitochondrial DNA haplogroups J and K are not protective for Parkinson's disease in the Australian community. Mov Disord. 2009 Jan 30;24(2):290-2.
- Double KL, Rowe DB, Carew-Jones FM, Hayes M, Chan DK, Blackie J, et al. Anti-melanin antibodies are increased in sera in Parkinson's disease. Exp Neurol. 2009 Jun;217(2):297-301.
- Sutherland G, Mellick G, Newman J, Double KL, Stevens J, Lee L, et al. Haplotype analysis of the IGF2-INS-TH gene cluster in Parkinson's disease. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2008 Jun 5;147B(4):495-9.
- National Health and Medical Research Council 401537 (2006) $750,750 The Australian Parkinson's Project
- Macquarie Faculty Research Infrastructure Fund (2010) "Macquarie Online Test Interface" McArthur, G., Kohnen, S., Castles, A., Coltheart, M., Nickels, L., Savage, G., Johnson, B., Brock, J., Wheldall, K., Beaman, R., Rowe, D., Morgan, M., Porter, M., & Sharma, M. ($75,000)
- Macquarie University Research Infrastructure Block Grant Scheme (2009) "Remote eyetracker for testing special populations." Crain. S., Brock, J., Thornton, R., Castles, A., McArthur, G., Thornton, R., Marsh, P., Brock, J., Savage, G., Rich, A., Cox, R., Rowe, D., A. Gamble, A., Langdon, R., Rapee, R., Hudson, J., Lyneham, H., & Porter, M. ($47,908)