We inspire others through our programs and learning opportunities. Access innovative solutions, collaborate with leading minds and develop exceptional leaders.
World-recognised business programs
The University’s park-like campus is home to a vibrant community of students and staff from all over the world who have access to outstanding facilities, amenities and support services – all in one place.
We are committed to providing a safe, supportive and conducive environment for students. The faculty’s various programs and initiatives empower students to be innovative, agile and leaders in their field.
What we are known for:
- Our MBA program is ranked #1 in Australia for the third consecutive year (Financial Times, 2017)
- Top 100 worldwide in Accounting and Finance (QS World University Rankings, 2016)
- Top 2% of universities in the world, and top 10 in Australia (Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2017)
- 5 stars in all categories – teaching, employability, research, internationalisation, facilities, innovation, access and specialist subjects (QS World University Rankings, 2017)
- First accredited and longest established Actuarial Studies program – more than one third of qualified Australian actuaries are faculty graduates
- Australia’s first international standard Master of Research program
- Professionally accredited courses include accounting, applied finance, actuarial studies, and HR management
- Applied Economics; Banking, Finance and Investment; and Business and Management ranked at world standard
Macquarie is the first Australian university to align with international research training qualifications. The faculty recruits top-class researchers in key areas of research strength, and we develop our students’ research skills to build strong intellectual capabilities.
Our higher degree research courses:
- Bachelor of Philosophy/Master of Research: Macquarie’s core pathway to the PhD or the Master of Philosophy combines advanced disciplinary coursework and structured research training, and enhances employment opportunities and pathways to further study overseas.
- Master of Philosophy: The Master of Philosophy is a two-year program consisting of a single thesis and is awarded for research that demonstrates the candidate has made a contribution to knowledge in a particular field of study by presenting new facts or by demonstrating an independent critical ability to evaluate existing material in a new light.
- Doctor of Philosophy: The PhD is a three-year degree awarded for research that demonstrates the candidate has the capability to conduct research independently and form a distinct contribution to the knowledge of the subject and to afford evidence of coherence and originality shown by either the discovery of new facts or the exercise of independent critical power.
We have been participating in cotutelle degree programs since 1999 with the aim of establishing deep, continuing relationships with international research universities. Through the cotutelle program, students are able to gain an international research experience through joint doctoral research candidate supervision.
Our cotutelle partners include:
- Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
- Fudan University
- Mahidol University
- Peking University
- Renmin University of China
- University of Göttingen
Scholarships are offered to eligible international and domestic students; for example:
- International students: International Research Training Program scholarship (IRTP) and International Macquarie Research Excellence Scholarship program (iMQRES). Benefits include tuition fee offset for a maximum of three years and stipend.
- Domestic students: Research Training Program scholarship (RTP) and Macquarie Research Excellence Scholarship program (MQRES) with tuition fee offset for a maximum of three years. Benefits include tuition fee offset for a maximum of three years and stipend.
Externally funded scholarships are also available, such as the Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre (CMCRC) PhD Scholarships. The CMCRC provides an exciting, high calibre and well-resourced research environment for work in capital markets and health insurance research. The objective is to create better markets locally, regionally and globally.
Student and alumni
Our faculty is home to more than 15,500 students and staff from 65 countries. Our outstanding reputation in innovative research, thought leadership, cutting-edge study programs and collaborative partnerships mean that our students are well supported to acquire the skills needed to excel in an increasingly interconnected and competitive world.
Student learning is enhanced with input from our industry partners through guest lectures, shadowing and mentoring opportunities, prizes and scholarships, and real-world advice on our curriculum development. Some examples include:
Embedded employment skills in:
- Capstone units
- Experiential learning via PACE:
- Macquarie’s PACE is a bold initiative that offers students the opportunity to enhance their technical skills, career prospects and gain valuable real-world experience by connecting students with leading public, private and not-for-profit sector organisations.
- Top students in the award-winning accounting PACE unit were offered new work experience, mentoring and shadow placements with leading CFOs across Australia.
- In 2017, the PACE program received the Employability Award in the prestigious The Australian Financial Review Higher Education Awards.
- There are more than 3100 students in PACE and more than 230 PACE partners, including Deloitte, PwC, EY, KPMG, Microsoft, and GlaxoSmithKline.
- Employment preparation unit
- Internship electives
Mentoring and learning support:
- Kickstart in all first year
- Comprehensive online support
- Mentoring schemes with industry, including our Lucy Mentoring Program
Other unique student support programs:
- First STEP Mentoring: The First STEP program is an academic-to-student mentoring initiative that enhances student engagement by providing students with the environment and framework to discuss their university experience.
- Peer Assisted Learning (PAL): PAL is a series of unit-specific workshops led by trained PAL student Leaders. Weekly workshops are open to all enrolled students at no cost. PAL has helped students achieve better grades, understand lecture content and get tips and hints.
- New Conversation Groups (NCG): NCGs enable international students to practice their spoken English in a supportive environment. NCGs have helped students practice for job interviews, increase their confidence for IELTS, participate in debates and develop top-notch presentation skills.
We take great pride in the achievements of our alumni. Graduates of Macquarie go on to make incredibly valuable contributions to societies around the world. Macquarie's graduate population comprises more than 176,000 people living and working in 140 countries.
For more information on our alumni community and how to get involved, visit our Alumni page.
Advance your workforce capability, boost your leadership pipeline and connect with tomorrow’s leaders.
- We understand the need for high-quality training and development in today’s competitive business environment. A partnership with us offers outstanding opportunities to develop leadership skills – within an organisation and in tomorrow’s business leaders.
- We provide various programs: Higher education courses including a world-renowned MBA program, tailored in-house training, short course and executive education courses.
- We develop the next generation of business leaders, which is just one of the many long-term benefits of our professional partnership program. This is achieved through mentoring programs and business case competitions, as well as tailored career development programs. Our partners include:
- Macquarie Bank
- Innovation and meaningful change within our partner organisations is cultivated through our world-class executive education programs tailored to help your staff become highly capable visionary leaders within a global business context.
- Our reputation has enabled us to deliver highly successful executive education programs. Examples include:
- NSW Treasury Corporation: Provided executive education programs for chief financial officers and finance managers of local and metropolitan councils in New South Wales.
- CAFRAL (Centre for Advanced Financial Research and Learning): Provided a series of high-level visits, networking opportunities and knowledge exchange with our finance academics to CAFRAL – an independent body set up by the Reserve Bank of India. This is part of CAFRAL’s Advanced Leadership Program.
- BTIM (BT Investment Management): Provided executive education for sales and portfolio management teams.
- Actuaries Institute: Provided executive education programs for actuaries from multiple industries and corporations.
- AICD: Presentation on Cybersecurity for Strategic Advantage in AICD roadshow in collaboration with Optus.
Opportunities for engagement
- Upskill your workforce: Grow your talent and become an innovative enterprise by exploiting our tailored leadership training.
- Promote academic excellence: Associate with high achievers and recognise excellence by awarding monetary prizes or placement opportunities for outstanding academic performance.
- Invest in education: Directly support excellence through dedicated scholarships and foundations.
- Recruit top-tier students: Attract and leverage the best talent through internships or work experience.
Invitation to engage
Join a network of innovative thinkers, prominent researchers and educators, and influential alumni. Fill out the form below and the team will be in touch.