Macquarie University recognises prior learning (RPL) gained through formal studies, work experience and/or industry qualifications. In the MAFC's programs, RPL can be used to:
- satisfy entry requirements
- reduce the number of gateway units of study available for Master of Applied Finance (MAppFin) and Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance (GradDipAppFin), and/or
- exempt study of a required (core) unit.
Who should apply?
The Master of Applied Finance is for experienced professionals, whether currently in the finance industry or in other professions wanting to transition to the finance sector (such as engineers, lawyers, or IT specialists). Applicants without a prior degree in a finance area will complete a three month foundation program with Tsinghua University prior to commencing the Master of Applied Finance.
The minimum entry requirements for the program:
- two years' relevant professional work experience* AND
- a bachelor degree** from an accredited university (or recognised equivalent) in:
- a finance related field; OR
- any discipline and completion of the Tsinghua University Gateway Program (or recognised equivalent).
Proficiency in Mandarin is required:
- graduates from high schools and/or bachelor degree programs in universities in Mainland China are deemed proficient in Mandarin
- graduates from bachelor degree programs from universities outside of Mainland China will be required to provide proof of proficiency, which may include an interview in Mandarin conducted by an interview panel.
* Applicants with between 1.5 to 2 years of relevant work experience are encouraged to apply and the application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
** Diploma holders with substantial senior-level experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Professional work experience
Professional work experience includes roles requiring either technical or specialist skills or involve decision making responsibility. “Relevant” means the role must be either in the finance sector or in the industry of your prior degree. For example, if your first degree is in engineering and you have worked as an engineer for a minimum of two years then you satisfy the work experience requirement. Other examples include accountants or auditors with a degree in that discipline.
Finance/business fields include, for example, work in accounting, securities regulation, commercial banking, security analysis, fund management, trusts, corporate finance, equity and fixed income sales, securities trading, foreign exchange, brokerage, treasury management, etc.
Program of study
You have a prior degree in a finance discipline
Your prior degree is in a non-finance discipline
Direct entry to the Master of Applied Finance
Entry to the Master of Applied Finance via the Gateway Program
You’ll complete a gateway program covering:
You’ll complete these advanced units of study:
Followed by these advanced units of study:
Duration: 2 years’ part-time
Duration: 2.5 years’ part-time
Ten elective units will be offered across three specialisations. Alternatively, students may study a wide variety of electives for a generalist foundation to support future career goals.
Corporate Finance/ Investment Banking
Banking and Risk Management
All units are delivered in intensive mode over 3-4 days per month. See the timetable for specific dates.
- Total program fee for enrolment in the Beijing Centre: ¥268,000 (excluding Gateway/Foundation Program fee).
- Core units: ¥33,500 per unit.
- Elective units of study: ¥16,750 per unit.
A Materials Fee of ¥3,000 will be charged by Tsinghua University to cover the provision of class notes.
An application fee of RMB 1,000 is payable to Tsinghua University School of Continuing Education. Fees are non refundable other than in exceptional circumstances as set out in the Program Rules and Procedures.
Prior degree in a business/finance discipline and 2 years of finance-related work experience
Application deadline: 15 August 2020
Prior degree in a non-finance discipline and 2 years of work experience
Application deadline: 19 June 2020
2020 application ⟶ https://imanage.mafc.mq.edu.au/apply_to_course/MAPPFIN2020BJ
Students who have completed the MAppFin program have gone on to occupy senior positions within banking, corporate finance, stockbroking, investment management, venture capital, project finance and risk management firms in Australia and overseas. The program is internationally recognised as one of the most rigorous and professional graduate courses available.