Research Group Leader
Neurodegenerative Diseases Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
B.Sc. University of Liverpool. PhD. St Andrews University, UK. First post-doctorate, Dundee University. Second post-doctorate, The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Sydney. Lectureship, The University of Sydney. Senior Lectureship, Macquarie University, Sydney.
B.Sc. Hons. PhD
- Motor Neurone Disease (MND)/Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Frontotemporal dementia (FTD)
- Neurodegenerative Disease
- Williams et al. CCNF mutations in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia. The discovery of a novel disease gene that provides a clear molecular link between ALS and FTD. Apr 15;7:11253. doi: 10.1038/ncomms11253 Nature Communications (2016).
- Masselink W, Cole NJ, Fenyes F, Berger S, Sonntag C, Wood A, Nguyen PD, Cohen N, Knopf F, Weidinger G, Hall TE, Currie PD. A somitic contribution to the apical ectodermal ridge is essential for fin formation. Jul 28;535(7613):542-6. Nature (2016).
- Don EK, Formella I, Badrock AP, Hall TE, Morsch M, Hortle E, Hogan A, Chow S, Gwee SSL, Stoddart JJ, Nicholson G, Chung R,Cole NJ. A Tol2 Gateway compatible toolbox for the study of the nervous system and neurodegenerative disease. Zebrafish, Sept 15 (2016).
- Morsch M, Radford R, Don EK, Lee A, Hortle E,Cole NJ, Chung RS Triggering cell stress and death using conventional UV laser confocal microscopy.J Vis Exp, (2016)
- Radford, R. Morsch M, Rayner S, Cole N, Pountne D and Chung R.. The established and emerging roles of astrocytes and microglia in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Dementia. 2015 Oct 27;9:414 Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience (2015).
- Morsch, M., Radford, R., Lee, A., Don, E.K., Badrock, A.P., Hall, T.E., Cole, N.J., and Chung, R. (2015). In vivo characterization of microglial engulfment of dying neurons in the zebrafish spinal cord. Frontiers in cellular neuroscience 9, 321
- Nguyen, P.D., Hollway, G.E., Sonntag, C., Miles, L.B., Hall, T.E., Berger, S., Fernandez, K.J., Gurevich, D.B., Cole, N.J., Alaei, S., et al. (2014). Haematopoietic stem cell induction by somite-derived endothelial cells controlled by meox1. Nature 512, 314-318.
- Acosta, J.R., Goldsbury, C., Winnick, C., Badrock, Cole, N.J, et al. (2014). Mutant human FUS is ubiquitously mislocalized and generates persistent stress granules in primary cultured transgenic zebrafish cells. Plos One
- Cure for MND Foundation Research Grant . Elucidating the Pathogenesis of Sporadic Motor Neurone Disease Using Zebrafish Models Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute of Australia,2015
- Peter Stearne Grant for Familial MND Research. Modelling the ALS-linked C9ORF72 Hexanucleotide Repeat Expansion in Zebrafish. Motorneurone Disease Research Institute of Australia, 2014
- Dementia research Teams Grant (NHMRC), 2015-2020 $6,377,279. Developing insight into the molecular origins of familial and sporadic frontotemporal dementia. APP1095215.
- Project Grant NHMRC 2015-2018 $676,000. Disruption to intracellular trafficking as a central pathogenic mechanism in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). APP1086887
- ARC Project Grant. 2014-2017 $383,000 Visualising neuron-glia interactions in the injured central nervous system. DP140103233
- Project Grant NHMRC 2012-2015, $435,000 Investigating the pathogenesis of Motor Neurone Disease using zebrafish models. APP1034816