The Macquarie MD is designed for students with a high level of achievement in tertiary study, who engage in a variety of experiences and activities, have the interpersonal skills desirable in a medical student and doctor, and the resilience, commitment and desire to help improve the health of Australian and global communities.
Macquarie MD program key facts
|Credit points required for completion||128 credit points|
|Compulsory international clinical learning experiences|
Year 3 – 21 weeks
|Indicative annual student intake||
40 domestic students|
20 international students
Before you apply
Before applying for the Macquarie MD you need to:
- Complete a degree with a minimum weighted GPA of 5.0 out of 7.0
- Complete pre-requisites in Human Anatomy and Human Physiology (level 200 units)
- Sit the Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) and achieve a minimum overall score of 50 (with a minimum of 50 in each section) or for international applicants, sit the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and achieve a minimum total score of 500 (with a minimum of 125 in each section)
- Consider your preparedness and capacity to attend the compulsory international clinical placements
- Check that you are able to meet the Inherent Requirements and Program Requirements
- Domestic applicants apply via GEMSAS
- International applicants apply direct to Macquarie International admissions at Macquarie University or via an International education agent
Admissions (Coursework) Policy
The University's Admission (Coursework) Policy is approved by the Academic Senate and outlines the broad principles on which students are selected for study, including an appeal process. Specific Macquarie MD selection and admission criteria are outlined in the Graduate Entry Medical School Admissions System (GEMSAS) (for domestic students) and the Macquarie International Admission Guides (for international applicants).
Admissions requirements and selection criteria for the Macquarie MD program are provided below.
- Minimum admission requirements
You will need to satisfy the Macquarie MD minimum admission requirements which are set out in the Admission Guides [insert link]) and selection criteria.
Entry is competitive. GPA and GAMSAT/MCAT scores are likely to be significantly higher among candidates selected for interview.
Equity and indigenous entry pathways
- Bonus scheme
If you are an Indigenous, rural or Macquarie University Bachelor of Clinical Science graduate, you will automatically have a 3 per cent bonus applied to your weighted GPA. A maximum of 5 per cent bonus points may be allocated in this way, at the discretion of Macquarie University
- Indigenous pathway
As an Indigenous applicant, you can apply through the standard pathway or the Indigenous pathway and will automatically receive a 3 per cent bonus to your weighted GPA. You are still expected to meet the minimum admissions requirements including a minimum weighted GPA of 5.0 out of 7.0.
If you are an Indigenous applicant applying through the Indigenous pathway you will have your application individually assessed by staff at Walanga Muru and the Faculty and you will also receive guidance during the application and interview process. Submission of GAMSAT results is optional on this pathway. Please refer to the GEMSAS Admissions Guide for detailed information.
Selection for interview and offer
The table below outlines the selection process for both interview and offer stages.
|Selection for interview||Selection for offer|
Ranking and selection of applicants for interview is based on:
Ranking and selection of applicants for an offer is based on:
For comprehensive admissions and selection criteria, please refer to the MD Admissions Guides available on the Graduate Entry Medical School Admissions System (GEMSAS) or Macquarie International web pages.