The Department of Education was set up in 1967 as one of Macquarie University's founding schools. We have an international reputation for the quality of our courses, research, scholarship and service to the educational community. Each year we graduate approximately 250 students as beginning teachers.
We offer a wide range of undergraduate courses that lead to qualifications for teaching at primary and secondary schools.
Our flexible courses allow professional educators and trainers to pursue specialisations and build their capacities to develop, lead and innovate. You may:
- enrol in one unit at any one time
- try our specialisations in one of our Graduate Certificates before progressing, with full credit, to Master's level study
- attend summer sessions if you'd like to complete your studies faster
- study online or face-to-face study options, or combine the two.
The school has over 30 full-time academic staff who are involved in teaching, research and community outreach. We have strong links with the broader educational community through professional associations and active involvement with education providers at all levels.
Our outreach programs
Staff of the Department of Education are involved in an extensive range of outreach activities across the educational sector. Some of these roles are advisory and linked to specific short-term projects or issues; others require on-going commitment.
Details of individual staff interests may be accessed either from the Staff Page or from the list of Staff Research Interests. A selection of the ways in which staff serve the educational community is provided below.
Links with schools
- School-based professional development days
- Undertaking school-based research
- Mentoring of school-based research projects
- Talks /seminars to staff, students, careers advisers, parents
- Transition to university program
- Publications of educational materials
- Adjudicating school-based competitions
- Marking of School and Higher School Certificate examinations
Links with educational authorities
- Membership and chairing of Syllabus and Examinations Committees
- Contribution to Board of Studies committees and working parties
- Chair of the HSC Consultative Committee
- DET-sponsored consultancies and research
- Test Development for DET
- Assessment of SC and HSC examination papers
Links with professional associations
- Conference organisation
- Editing of journals
- Active membership and leadership positions
- Conference presentations, keynote addresses and workshops