Meet the group redesigning the way we deliver student services and support at Macquarie.
Some are new additions, others are familiar faces who have for years been working in different capacities to deliver quality student services. These key appointments are the result of extensive consultations and many rounds of designs, which are intended to bring to life the Student Services Delivery Model.
Following the redesign there is a broad plan in place to ensure cohesion and common purpose following the Professional Services Transformation (PST).
Importantly, members of this group each hold pivotal student-centric roles in different portfolios so they report to different areas of the University. They will collaborate to deliver student services optimally and consistently across the institution.
The main goal of the student change proposal in 2021 was to differentiate services and support provided to students to enhance their experiences and journey through university. This was done by thinking about what administrative support services are provided to students which are delivered from a shared services centre; what services do they receive as a learner which are delivered by their Faculty; and what services might they need to support their more personalised experiences which may be delivered from the DVCA portfolio or from multiple areas working collaboratively to support students.
The long-term plans are still being designed while the group builds on earlier work scoping what the priority areas are, such as management of special consideration applications, academic progression and enhanced first year experience models.
Meet the team
The group is split into three main areas.
Student Shared Services Centre
These positions report to the Executive Director Shared Services, Maria Claudia Romero, and are part of the VPPS Portfolio.
- Dr Brad Windon, Head of Student Shared Services, oversees leading, managing and developing the strategic and operational services that support and enhance the student experience across the whole student lifecycle from Offer to Completion.
- Jason Ray, Head of Admissions and Scholarships, oversees managing the strategic and operational delivery of international and domestic admissions and scholarship services to support the University’s student admission strategic objectives.
Head of Educational Services – Faculties
These positions work closely with both the Faculty Executive Director and the Deputy Dean, Education and Employability in each of the four faculties.
- Lynn Negus, Faculty of Arts.
- Dr Stuart Upton, Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Sandra Harrison, Macquarie Business School.
- Hayley Harris, Faculty of Medicine, Health and Human Sciences.
These people will lead the Faculty’s educational and professional training across the entire student lifecycle ensuring the Faculty meets its strategic objectives.
Dean of Students
These positions report to the Dean of Students, Professor Mariella Herberstein, and are part of the DVC (Academic) portfolio.
- Melinda Chadwick, Head of Student Engagement, Inclusion and Belonging, will lead, manage and develop the strategic and operational student engagement and belonging programs and events that support and enhance the student experience.
- Penny Huisman, Head of Student Wellbeing, will lead and manage the strategic and operational University Student Wellbeing services including assessment, triage, accessibility and clinical services and case management, to enhance student experience and success.
- Kane Murdoch, Manager, Complaints, Appeals and Misconduct, will lead and manage the institutional response to student complaints, academic appeals and misconduct. Kane will commence at Macquarie on 6 June.
ON CAMPUS CONNECTION
The team meets regularly to collaborate on the design of student services and support, connecting up either remotely or on different corners of the campus. The Heads of Educational Services will remain located with their faculties, however from the end of June many of the team will find a new home in 18 Wally’s Walk alongside other professional service areas at the heart of the campus.
Pictured above: Group Shot – Dr Stuart Upton, Lynn Negus, Jason Ray, Dr Brad Windon, Melinda Chadwick, Penny Huisman. Inset top – Sandra Harrison. Inset bottom – Hayley Harris.