10 questions with… Anne Forbes

anne-forbes_web

Dr Anne Forbes has been involved in some pretty amazing projects in the four years she’s been at Macquarie.

The Senior Lecturer in STEM Education says her highlights include the initiation of the MyScience@MQ program, which brings scientist mentors into schools to transform the way kids see and experience science;  developing resources for the Dr Egg Adventures Laboratory; co-writing the soon-to-be-published  STEM Education in the Primary School: A teacher’s toolkit; and leading the development of IBM’s Artificial Intelligence for Teachers project, including the recent launch of its Coursera course.

Anne says the course is a great milestone for the Macquarie-IBM partnership, and she hopes it will support more students to enter the IBM EdTech Youth Challenge.

In a nutshell, my job is to…
Find effective ways to open doors to the world of science and STEM for young learners and their teachers.

My definition of success is…
Feeling peaceful.

A person at Macquarie that inspires me is…
My daughter Dr Miri Forbes. She is a world leader working on redefining and shaping future options for evaluating and treating mental disorders.

This year I want to…
Welcome my third and fourth grandchild into the world and begin writing my second Primary Science Education textbook.

The scariest thing I’ve ever done is…
Have a baby – four times!

As a kid, I was…
Obsessed with competitive running – now I’m just obsessed with running.

My guilty pleasure is…
Pleasures shouldn’t make you feel guilty – I love ice cream – as frequently as possible.

I’m scared of…
Spiders.

The most important thing I’ve learned this year is…
I need to live my university life on my own terms.

I’m happiest when…
I am creating something – no matter the domain.