10 questions with… Samuel Muller

samuel_muller_web

Joining Macquarie this month as the new Mathematics and Statistics Head of Department, Samuel Muller brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the role.

From roaming the woods in Switzerland as a child, to enjoying a post-meal cleansing ale, we find out more about this Professor of Statistics below.

1. In a nutshell, my job is to…
Lead by example for a group of excellent scholars and professional staff who have a passion for learning from data and patterns.

2. My definition of success is…
Holistically creating the best possible outcome.

3. A person at Macquarie that inspires me is…
The cleaner who regularly polishes my office door handle, and everyone else I have had the pleasure meeting so far.

4. This year I want to…
Learn how to do more with less.

5. The scariest thing I’ve ever done is…
Having lost control of someone else’s expensive car on an icy surface, luckily neither the car nor I were damaged after doing two involuntarily 360s.

6. As a kid, I was…
Growing up in a village in Switzerland and could roam without adult supervision in the woods.

7. My guilty pleasure is…
A cleansing ale after a nice dinner with good wine.

8. I’m happiest when…
Starting a new adventure with Martina, who I married in the 1990s.

9. If I had the day off today, you would find me…
In Darlington or a neighbouring suburb, either while on a walk, in a shop browsing for good dinner ingredients, or in the closest IKEA or Bunnings.

10. To me, the best thing about the Macquarie community is…
You.