10 questions with… Marc Orlando

marc_orlando_web

Joining Macquarie in July, Associate Professor Dr Marc Orlando is the new Director of the Translation and Interpreting Program, in the Department of Linguistics.

Prior to this appointment, Marc worked at Monash University for 12 years, as well as New Zealand, and in his home country of France.

A trainer and researcher in Translation and Interpreting Studies, Marc focuses on practice-informed research whereby the insights gained in his professional practice inform research and training.

Well engaged with the industry nationally and internationally, Marc sits on various boards and committees such as the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters, the International Association of Conference Interpreters and the International Conference of Universities of T&I.

1. In a nutshell, my job is to…
Train and equip tomorrow’s translators and interpreters with the skills and credentials to respond to the ever-changing demands of our profession, and to research the multidimensionality of our discipline. In our globalised societies, translators and interpreters are intercultural experts essential to equitable access to services and information.

2. My definition of success is…
Being in control of one’s own existence and choices. Being happy and fulfilled, without (consciously) harming anyone along the way.

3. A person at Macquarie who inspires me is…
I haven’t been at Macquarie long enough to single out one person, but what inspires me is the potential for interdisciplinarity that the Department and the Faculty I am in offer in domains where translators and interpreters are in demand.

4. This year I want to…
Start a new position at Macquarie, with exciting projects ahead. Ticked!

5. As a kid, I was…
Living a carefree childhood, generally outdoors, in a small town near Bordeaux, in the south west of France.

6. My guilty pleasure is…
Salted caramel. Espionage movies or TV shows.

7. The most important thing I’ve learned in the last five years is…
Try, as much as possible, to see the glass half-full. There is a bright side somehow.

8. I’m happiest when…
I’m at home for a family reunion with my three kids (and since recently one grandchild), or when I’m travelling and discovering a new country.

9. If I had the day off today, you would find me…
On a tennis or a squash court (depending on the season), or cooking.

10. To me, the best thing about the Macquarie community is…
It’s been very recent for me, but the warm welcome and the support so far has really been something. Thanks everyone!