Macquarie appoints Chief Information Officer

tim_web

After an extensive recruitment and selection process, Tim Hume has been formally appointed to the role of Chief Information Officer (CIO), commencing 1 November.

Nicole Gower, Vice-President, People and Services,  says she is delighted to welcome Tim to the CIO role, with the IT team recently bought into her portfolio.

“Tim’s experience and insight will be highly valuable as we continue the transformation of our technology platforms and the digital experience for students, staff and members of our University community,” she says.

Tim brings over 25 years’ experience in senior leadership roles across public and private sectors and has been in the role of an Interim CIO at Macquarie since the end of June 2019, during which time he’s made a strong contribution to the University’s strategic IT initiatives.

We caught up with Tim to ask him about his appointment.

What have been the highlights for you in the interim role to date?
Starting with Macquarie as interim CIO with two major systems go-lives in my first four months has given me the unique privilege and opportunity to immerse myself in the University and understand how it works under the pressure of systems and process transformation.

I have to say that I’m very impressed at the level of collaboration and dedication shown by everyone involved in the Beacon and One Health programs: good governance, pragmatic planning and delivery, and effective vendor management have paid off for the University in the form of two successful go-lives.

What are you looking forward to most in the CIO role?Transformation is my passion; just as the University seeks to be distinctive, progressive and transformational, so too must IT, working with our colleagues across the University in the delivery of transformed services, systems and processes enabled by Information Technology – this is what I’m here for.

What’s your vision for your role and IT at Macquarie?
Governance is the key to transformation, which sounds a bit boring and bureaucratic, but it really isn’t! Effective governance is all about great communication and collaboration, so my vision for the role of CIO is to work with the business in delivering the right strategy for Information Technology, as well as helping plan, govern and deliver transformation across Macquarie.

Can you tell us about some of the challenges that lie ahead?
The challenge with transformation is getting the strategy and pace right. I’ll be working with the Executive and colleagues across the University on how Information Technology can help enable business transformation. Together, we’ll set the pace for transformation at the same time as the University continues to excel in the delivery of an outstanding curriculum and ground-breaking research.