10 questions with… Sumit Raniga

sumit-2_web

Dr Sumit Raniga is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a subspecialist orthopaedic shoulder and elbow surgeon with three years of dedicated post-fellowship training in world-renowned centres of excellence. 

With a background in molecular medicine, including gene therapy, as well as orthopaedic surgical sciences, including biomechanics – Dr Raniga has a proven track record in cutting edge research with numerous publications in international peer reviewed journals. He is involved in developing and implementing a world class centre of excellence in shoulder and elbow research, that not only produces science that influences surgical practice, but also trains the academic surgeons of tomorrow.

(1) In a nutshell, my job is to…
Provide the highest standard of evidence-based management and surgical treatment of complex shoulder and elbow problems with compassion and empathy. I am the co-founder and Director of the MQ Health Translational Shoulder Research Program – building Asia-Pacific’s first six-degree-of-freedom, eight muscle actuated cadaveric shoulder simulator to allow world class biomechanical studies to improve patient outcomes through basic surgical science research.

(2) The question I hear most often in my work is…
What can I do with my shoulder?

(3) The thing I find most rewarding in my role is…
Consulting – it’s truly a privilege to have the opportunity to help people for a living.

(4) This year I want to…
Help develop our MQ Health Shoulder and Elbow Clinic to become one of the leading subspecialty orthopaedic clinics in Sydney. Achieve the primary objectives of our External Research Grant including building the prototype cadaveric shoulder simulator within our unique world class shoulder biomechanics lab.

(5) The bravest thing I’ve done
There have been quite a few situations in my career to date where my actions along with my colleague’s probably saved lives. I just did what had to be done.

(6) A place that’s special to me is…
Switzerland – my year as a Fellow in Bern University Hospital had a profound impact on my career. It’s not the worst place in the world either!

(7) My mother/father always told me…
To have lots of patience, perseverance and prayers … and that an extraordinary life requires mastering the science of achievement and the art of fulfilment.

(8) I’m scared of…
FEAR – Forget Everything and Run Vs Face Everything and Rise – I prefer the latter.

(9) My hidden talent is…
Cricket – it’s been hiding since medical school.

(10) A moment I’ll always remember is…
There are a few: The birth of my daughter; meeting Mohammad Ali, Nelson Mandela, and Sachin Tendulkar; passing my FRACS Part II exam in orthopaedics; and winning the Charles Neer Award from the American Shoulder and Elbow Society.