Privacy policy, handbook and e-learning are now live

Staff will soon be receiving an email notification advising them of their enrolment in an e-learn module on privacy in practice.

Why is privacy important?
Our students, staff, patients, research participants and others trust us with their personal and health information. Trust, like reputation, is one of those things that can take weeks, months, even years to build up, and be destroyed in a bad or even accidental move very quickly.

We deal with significant amounts of information on a day-to-day basis and it is important we are aware of our responsibilities and ensure we do our best to protect the information we have been given.

What is the University doing to ensure we maintain trust?
Specific tools have been developed to assist you in understanding your responsibilities:

What do I need to do?
There are ten steps that should be done by every staff member:

1. Familiarise yourself with internal privacy policies, processes and procedures by completing the mandatory e-learn and enrolling in face-to-face training.
  2. Know who to escalate your privacy queries to.
  3. Consider privacy during project planning (e.g. consider privacy implications upfront and consult early if a project may require we share a significant amount of personal information).
  4. Only collect the personal information you need – if you don’t need it don’t ask for it.
  5. Use and disclosure — think about it, would the individual reasonably expect that we would use or share their information in that way, and have they been told this was our intention?
  6. Overseas disclosure — always consult if you think a project may involve sending personal information overseas or interstate.
  7. Take even more care when handling sensitive information such health information or religious beliefs.
  8. Access personal information on a need-to-know basis – there is a lot of information held by the University, don’t go probing into your friend’s records just because you can.
  9. Keep personal information secure.
  10. Familiarise yourself with the data breach response plan – if in doubt contact the Privacy Officer (privacyofficer@mq.edu.au).

All staff will be enrolled in the new privacy e-learn and are requested to complete the training module by 30 June. For face-to-face training, you can enrol in a session by logging into the online training system and searching ‘privacy’ in the ‘Course catalogue’ section.

1. It is not clear to me why staff receiving “special considerations” (for students who have approached campus well being) need to have so much access to the medical/ family information of the student under stress or study disruption. Those with clinical experience should be able to offer us a grading of the relevant dimensions of the problem(s) – levels of seriousness; time of disruption; potential extent of difficulties; recommendation for action by staff, including request from the student…- and then academic staff respond. I feel I am often being told more than I need to know in the online process. This could be an inhibiting factor for students who may feel ‘personally’ exposed in making a request.

2. The link I got in my reminder email is not working; I get a message saying:
    state information lost.

Please can you send me the correct link directly to my email address as I’m on leave and check only that.
    many thanks

3. I have always been mindful of privacy concerns when assessing (advising) students & I am careful to speak about Centres that I have visited in a positive way.
    I think all visitors to Centres need to be professional in their approach & take on board room leaders & students comments with respect & enthusiasm.

4. I found the reading/preparation informative and helpful.
    The evaluation was well constructed, although I might suggest that providing some scenarios to evaluate might have been more of a rigorous test.
    …. Important topic in my opinion.

5. I am at the moment and likely to remain an unpayed volunteer so feel I do not need to do this.
    Regards
    David Mathieson

6. I was advised today in a no-reply email that I had not done this, but I am a retired honorary

7. Pretty much a waste of my time. Pissed of at the “do not reply” email. Can I refer you to the article on Page 2 of today’s (July 11, 2018) SMH which points out that increasingly people have more than one role. One of my other roles is as Chairman of a large mutual group that includes a medical indemnity insurer and a private health insurer – I have already done a lot of privacy training around new and past legislation, but no scope to acknowledge that in your one way communication and instruction strategy.
    I’m not criticising the product, just the fact that at a regulatory level we are stuck in an old legalistic risk management paradigm that offers neither real security not the ability to respond quickly to emerging issues. You may want to check out the following link – http://medicalrepublic.com.au/subversion-compliance-new-form-abuse/10926

8. Totally support this. I believe that this is part of stewardship not only to the organisation but also to the community.