Secret life of… Robin Payne

robynpayne_feature

In ‘Secret life of…’ we reveal the lesser-known sides of some well-known Macquarie people. Here, Chief Financial Officer Robin Payne talks about his passion for travel.

Growing up in the golden age of backpacking, I’ve always been passionate about getting out and seeing the world.  I believe we are uniquely privileged to be living in a time when people and places across the globe are more accessible than ever before.

Since my first big journey through Asia in my mid-twenties, I’ve tried to fit in a major trip every few years.  Planning around work commitments can be challenging, but the experience is always uplifting and I come back to work re-energised every time.

I’m never happier than when trekking high in the mountains of the Himalaya or the Andes.  I love the peacefulness and the grandeur of the surroundings.  And the people you meet – both the locals and other travellers from all walks of life – make it constantly entertaining and thought-provoking.

Travelling has let me experience different cultures first-hand and afforded me small glimpses into the way other people see the world.  It’s taught me the importance of perspective, which I try to apply in my professional career through being more open to new ideas and new ways of solving problems. But more importantly, it’s taught me that the world is full of amazing people in the most unexpected places … you just need to go and find them!