Diplomacy through soft power: Exploring the China example

China_FEATURE

December’s Macquarie Minds Showcase brings together a compelling group of visionaries, researchers and experts to discuss how we can shape a brighter future.  In the lead up to this exciting event, we will be bringing you insights from Macquarie Minds presenters. Here, Mei Li from the Department of Media, Music, Communication and Cultural Studies talks about her research career and how China is using soft power to change perceptions of itself around the globe.

Mei-Li_InStoryWhat drew you to your research field?

Growing up at a time before the popularisation of social media, the TV screen was almost the only window for me to view and learn about the outside world. I recall a variety show introducing different countries that held me agog with interest. I was figuratively glued to it for many years. On graduation from university, I worked in the media industry for several years but my curiosity about the world and my place in it is what crystallised my decision to do a PhD.

My current research project is in an area where international communication, international relations and soft power overlap. My interest in international relations and soft power was kindled by my supervisor, Professor Naren Chitty. He has made significant contributions in all three fields. My research on his body of work made me realise that the perspective he has developed provides a useful platform to launch my own project and research.

What would be an ‘elevator pitch’ of your research area?

Media discourse is an important element by which individuals construct meaning. My thesis project, taking China’s ‘One Belt One Road’ initiative as a case study, investigates how a country’s discourse is constructed in different communities through international media and what elements influence the mechanism.

In layman’s terms, what is the wider impact of your research?

I hope my research can firstly offer a better understanding between China and other communities that view China and Chinese culture as potential threats. This will contribute to a minimisation of misperceptions among different communities, and more importantly, can offer an analytical framework for understanding a country’s behaviour and its relations with other states.

Who has been your most significant research mentor?

That would have to be my supervisor, Professor Naren Chitty. He is the kind of supervisor who can not only give you specific guidance on your research based on his experience in supervising dozens of PhD students, but also influence you in a more profound way. He draws on several genres of experience – including as a diplomat and scholar – which I believe to be one of the reasons behind his inclusiveness, innovativeness and depth and breadth of research. He has the magic to make many things happen.

What has been your favourite and/or proudest research moment?

My proudest moment in recent times was when, together with other team members, I was awarded first prize by the Henan Province Social Science Association for research on senior people’s media needs, uses and gratifications in the context of new media.

Register for Mei Li’s session/workshop ‘Soft Power: The Power of Attraction?’ as part of the Macquarie Minds Showcase 13-14 December 2016.

Macquarie Minds Showcase